Bo to LSU?

TGHusker

9 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I get it was LSU first game with new DC, but it was Mississippi St first game with new system and head coach so I don’t buy that excuse. Offense is usually harder to instill

Not going out of my way to give Bo excuses, but Leach’s system is known to be really simple. He has a base of about 10 plays which they then vary with formations.

Also, watching the game, the biggest problem for LSU’s D wasn’t necessarily Bo’s scheme, it was piss poor tackling. They were missing tackles all game, leading to big plays by Miss State.  With fewer contact practices due to COVID precautions, that leads to bad tackling, especially in the first game. 

Bo’s D wasn’t good at all, but a number of factors went into it. 

• Plus1 2

Blocking and tackling are critical to ANY football team’s success or failure - no matter what scheme you use.   

Its been an issue for decades in Lincoln.  Practice.  Practice.  Practice.  It also helps a bunch to find players who do it well fundamentally to start with, then add S&C and good schemes and athletes who can run and you get winning football.  Jimmys and Joes are critical first and foremost.    

20 hours ago, knapplc said:

That first game where Leach brought a Texas Tech team to Lincoln was so sobering. We couldn't stop them the first half. Ended up pulling out a win, but that was a stadium full of scared fans.

Not sure what happened with Bo's defense yesterday, but Leach is the real deal.

2009 Texas Tech was the only team IIRC to put up any significant points against the elite D.  My memory is foggy but there might have been a pick 6 too.

31 minutes ago, DrinkinwitTerrellFarley said:

2009 Texas Tech was the only team IIRC to put up any significant points against the elite D.  My memory is foggy but there might have been a pick 6 too.

Texas Tech had the highest point output against NU in 2009 with 31.  But that did include a fumble return for a TD when Niles Paul failed to catch a lateral pass, and Tech picked up the live ball and returned it 80 yards for a TD.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, jaws said:

The self-proclaimed DBU should have been able to reload and not give up 600+ yards. I don't care if their best DB was out.

Yeah. I think 247 says they've had four top-ten recruiting classes in the last five years, with their lowest at #15. 

If that's not enough talent to reload, I don't know what is. 

Not making excuses for Bo (I found the situation funny as hell), however this year is as tough as it gets on coaches imo.  The limited contact, uncertainty, players sitting out, etc... all made their jobs a lot harder on defense especially.  Offenses, and passing in particular, didn't miss near as much.  In fact, QB receiver practices had more prep time than ever.  I think all coaches will get some free passes this year when things don't look quite right.  

1 minute ago, Hilltop said:

Not making excuses for Bo (I found the situation funny as hell), however this year is as tough as it gets on coaches imo.  The limited contact, uncertainty, players sitting out, etc... all made their jobs a lot harder on defense especially.  Offenses, and passing in particular, didn't miss near as much.  In fact, QB receiver practices had more prep time than ever.  I think all coaches will get some free passes this year when things don't look quite right.  

Bo knows defense generally but if the schemes were relatively new, kids may not have been ready to run it well.  Secondary is Bo’s strong suit but I always like his defense’s chances if he could manage to guess right a couple times and get the opponent into poor down/distance circumstances.  He liked to gamble a lot.  He probably has evolved some since spending so

long at YSU - no

pressure and less challenging offenses talent wise.  A bevy of receivers and a quick release QB would be tough for Bo cause its a passing down all the time and i assume a fast tempo pace left little opportunity to adjust.  He probably ran out of timeouts.  Just guessing as I didnt see the game or details on stats.  

9 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Secondary is Bo’s strong suit but I always like his defense’s chances if he could manage to guess right a couple times and get the opponent into poor down/distance circumstances.  

This is exactly what I thought. And then, because I am not a Bo nor LSU fan, my next thought was, just wait until they run up against a Melvin Gordon, which is actually the weak spot in any Bo D. 

On 9/27/2020 at 12:25 PM, Savage Husker said:

3 LBs, 2 DBs, and a DL to the draft alone. I don’t know about the opt-outs, but read about Stingley. I believe he’ll get it fixed, but I wouldn’t have expected the onslaught in the air.

It’s interesting to go back to the Bo’s QB graveyard thread and the host of praise for shutting down future NFL starters to seeing LSU thread and now this lol

It was Carl’s success anyway. We were kind of junkie after he left 

• Haha 3