Bo to LSU?

TGHusker

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

The craziest thing about Bo was that he was never able to recruit based off Ndamukong Suh's success. He had a perfect pitch - look at what this guy was when I got here, and look what I helped turn him into. And yet that position was a black hole for him after Suh.

I agree and I’ll add that his brother leaving and the move to B1G hurt Bo as well

in his brother,  he had the total and undying commitment from his right hand man. 

to not be able to pull in the defensive guys he needed after 09-10ish w Suh is crazy.  However I remember hearing from his own lips several times how dang near impossible it was to get talent to N, which is bulls#!t 

bo will do well at LSU for 3-5 yrs then he’ll piss some people off and “find” his new D1 head job for 4-6 yrs, do well initially there and then retire. He’s a hothead and a good coach, the hot head burns him tho 

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, knapplc said:

The craziest thing about Bo was that he was never able to recruit based off Ndamukong Suh's success. He had a perfect pitch - look at what this guy was when I got here, and look what I helped turn him into. And yet that position was a black hole for him after Suh.

I mean ...

2012 - Vincent Valentine

2013 - Maliek Collins

2015 - Carlos & Khalil Davis

Four NFL guys in four years is pretty good recruiting.  

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, Mavric said:

I mean ...

2012 - Vincent Valentine

2013 - Maliek Collins

2015 - Carlos & Khalil Davis

Four NFL guys in four years is pretty good recruiting.  

That's two years after Suh, then three, then four.

And none of those guys came close, remotely, to Suh's impact in college.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

That's two years after Suh, then three, then four.

Yeah, that's how recruiting works.

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

And none of those guys came close, remotely, to Suh's impact in college.

If that's the standard to avoid being labeled a "black hole", then pretty much every team in the country is in a black hole recruiting DTs.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
4 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Yeah, that's how recruiting works.

If that's the standard to avoid being labeled a "black hole", then pretty much every team in the country is in a black hole recruiting DTs.

Ehhhhh... a two year gap after proving your ability to coach Suh from good to great before you land another guy isn't building off success, is it? 

The two year gap is the most troublesome part of all that, particularly that 2010 class which (to my memory) had nobody pan out.

And the pessimistic/never satisfied Husker fan in me thinks (post-Suh) four NFL d-linemen over four years is objectively good, not great, which would fit Pelini's overall career M.O.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Enhance said:

The two year gap is the most troublesome part of all that, particularly that 2010 class which (to my memory) had nobody pan out.

And the pessimistic/never satisfied Husker fan in me thinks (post-Suh) four NFL d-linemen over four years is objectively good, not great, which would fit Pelini's overall career M.O.

It's tough to accurately measure. @Mavric rightly shows guys who are impressive, but did they do all that much here? And why the gap?

It's not an easy answer. The whole Bo Era here is a riddle.

• Plus1 1

As I recall, it was the direction of the program that was causing pause. More blow outs and sideline blow ups. More close wins against average teams. A win at NW comes to mind. Seems we celebrated a little too much that day. Beating NW at their place is a solid Big win. But is it... Beating the Lions in Beaver Stadium, the Bucks at the Shoe, the Mazin Blue at the Big House or the Badgers at Camp Randall? No. And it's not close. It seems we were on the slow train to sub 500. That was the concern.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2

Comparing any player to step into the spot Suh left is completely unfair.  But that said, everyone to follow had their share of problems and inconsistencies.  Bo was never able to replicate the machine that was 2009.  Again, not fair to ask but Defense got consistently less dependable.  The Big Ten move was not a good transition in that area.

• Plus1 1
14 hours ago, Enhance said:

On a personal note, it was like the time I broke up with a girlfriend I'd had for multiple years. I started to date someone new not long after who broke my heart, and it got me thinking during the heartbreak that hey... maybe that old girlfriend wasn't so bad? Was I being too rash and impulsive to leave her?

And no, she hadn't been that bad, but she also hadn't been that great. I can easily look back now and say it was the right call to leave her.

You still look at her facebook profile late at night, don't you? :D

• Haha 4
19 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I really am surprised that Bo is still looked at as anything other than a pretty good coach while at NU.

Especially considering what we have seen the last 5 years.

I think anybody that believes Pelini was anything less than a good to pretty good coach (depending on how one qualifies those terms) is being intentionally obtuse and/or vindictive. Fortunately, I don't come across a lot of folks like that.