Bo to LSU?

TGHusker

On 9/27/2020 at 2:50 PM, knapplc said:

That first game where Leach brought a Texas Tech team to Lincoln was so sobering. We couldn't stop them the first half. Ended up pulling out a win, but that was a stadium full of scared fans.

Not sure what happened with Bo's defense yesterday, but Leach is the real deal.

Is that when Tech went up 28-0 in a blink of an eye and  LeKevin Smith attempted to score after a fumble recovery and then fumbled himself? 

9 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

Is that when Tech went up 28-0 in a blink of an eye and  LeKevin Smith attempted to score after a fumble recovery and then fumbled himself? 

Leach's first year at Tech was in 2001.  Leach had been the OC for Oklahoma in 2000 when they won the National Championship.  Leach brought Tech into Lincoln in 2001 and put up 31 points against NU, but NU still won 41-31.  I thought NU was in deep trouble with NU playing OU the next week, but I didn't realize that Leach was the main reason OU's offense was so good in 2000 (along with Stoops' defense).

The game where LeKevin Smith blew the game was in 2005 (I was at that game).  Tech was up most of the game, but NU came back and took the lead late in the 4th quarter.  LeKevin Smith made an interception off a tipped ball at the LOS, which would have sealed a NU victory.  However, he took a couple steps to return the ball, was stripped from behind and Tech recovered.  Tech scored the game-winning TD a few plays later.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Leach's first year at Tech was in 2001.  Leach had been the OC for Oklahoma in 2000 when they won the National Championship.  Leach brought Tech into Lincoln in 2001 and put up 31 points against NU, but NU still won 41-31.  I thought NU was in deep trouble with NU playing OU the next week, but I didn't realize that Leach was the main reason OU's offense was so good in 2000 (along with Stoops' defense).

The game where LeKevin Smith blew the game was in 2005 (I was at that game).  Tech was up most of the game, but NU came back and took the lead late in the 4th quarter.  LeKevin Smith made an interception off a tipped ball at the LOS, which would have sealed a NU victory.  However, he took a couple steps to return the ball, was stripped from behind and Tech recovered.  Tech scored the game-winning TD a few plays later.

tenor.gif?itemid=16516913

• Haha 4
2 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

They started in 1999 and played a one-off at Notre Dame! (no return trip).   From memory, assistants in that game were named: Mike Leach, Brent Venables, Urban Meyer, and Josh Huepel (player).  

1 2 3 4 Total

OU

7 16 7 0 30
ND 7 7 14 6 34

the literal second Smith INT,  I yelled so loud at the tv in the bar “get down!!” that the tables around me jumped haha.  2 seconds later, no possession. So gut wrenching lol. 

I love N fans and our obsession with details on games from 50+ yrs ago lol 

case in point, my dad was the head coach at Scottsbluff in 83’. He had a Scoring Explosion poster on the wall in his film room. I was 7 yrs old. I thought it was the coolest most badass thing ever. So I started watching the games instead of just being in the room. Alas, my first real pain in life came that fateful day 30-31. 

I digress, Pelini has elite talent, they’ll be fine for awhile when they are ahead in most games and his defense can do what it does best. One game does not a season or tenure make...but hey LSU, welcome to the 408 club 

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, I am I said:

the literal second Smith INT,  I yelled so loud at the tv in the bar “get down!!” that the tables around me jumped haha.  2 seconds later, no possession. So gut wrenching lol. 

I seldom hear LeKevin Smith’s name, but when I do I twitch.  I don’t think it will ever go away. 

12 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Texas Tech had the highest point output against NU in 2009 with 31.  But that did include a fumble return for a TD when Niles Paul failed to catch a lateral pass, and Tech picked up the live ball and returned it 80 yards for a TD.

I knew there was a cheap score in there but it was a fumble return.  Thanks for the correction.

• Plus1 1

If I remember correctly, they put one of our worst whippings on us.  70 something to 10 under Callahan.   Leach may give Saben a run for his money as he gets more talent.  We know they have the money to buy it.

I would have rather seen him go to Ole Miss, don't really know why.  Have always liked that name for a college team.  Not a fan of Ole Miss's new head coach.

5 minutes ago, skersfan said:

If I remember correctly, they put one of our worst whippings on us.  70 something to 10 under Callahan.   Leach may give Saben a run for his money as he gets more talent.  We know they have the money to buy it.

I would have rather seen him go to Ole Miss, don't really know why.  Have always liked that name for a college team.  Not a fan of Ole Miss's new head coach.

You are correct, it was 70-10 Tech in 2004.

17 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Was that the Beau Davis game?

EDIT: It was. Dailey was 14-34, 187 yards 1 TD 1 INT. Davis was 1-8, 12 yards, 0 TD 4 INT. That's actually worse than I remember, and I remember it being so so bad. 

I got a call from a close friend of mine after that game.  My friend's dad was on the NU staff under Solich, and his dad was let go by NU.  My friend HATED Callahan, while I was drinking the Callahan Kool-Aid, so I was trying to come up with every excuse to defend Callahan.  My defense of Callahan came to an end during the 2007 season.

• Haha 1

I actually drove to Lubbock for the game.  Friend lived there, that was not a huge football fan, by the end of the evening, he was dancing around Guns Up so much I thought I was going to kill him..

But the fans were cool about it.  I know Leach had said the week prior that it would be no problem handling Nebraska, he was quite confident.  I also remember the fans yelling for Davis and it happening.  I think it destroyed the kid 

On 9/27/2020 at 5:04 PM, Notre Dame Joe said:

IT may have been a perfect storm;  First game,  new defensive starters, new DC, facing the old air raid run by new personnel, but their qb is a grad transfer with starting experience. 

Sort of what I'm thinking too.  Tough opponent for.a new D.  It's not as if Bo forgot how to coach D.

On 9/27/2020 at 3:04 PM, Notre Dame Joe said:

IT may have been a perfect storm;  First game,  new defensive starters, new DC, facing the old air raid run by new personnel, but their qb is a grad transfer with starting experience. 

Still.....helluva perfect storm, since no other defense in the long history of the SEC has ever gotten that shredded. 

• Plus1 2
On 9/28/2020 at 1:20 PM, Hilltop said:

Not making excuses for Bo (I found the situation funny as hell), however this year is as tough as it gets on coaches imo.  The limited contact, uncertainty, players sitting out, etc... all made their jobs a lot harder on defense especially.  Offenses, and passing in particular, didn't miss near as much.  In fact, QB receiver practices had more prep time than ever.  I think all coaches will get some free passes this year when things don't look quite right.  

Leach had the same amount of contact with all new schemes on BOTH sides of the ball.