Recruiting Advantages

I wasn't sure where to put this but I found this interesting and a bit shocking. Looking at a chart on where the best recruits are.

4* and 5* recruits in the past 5 years:

-47 combined in Nebraska, South Dakota,               North Dakota, Kansas, Iowa, Missouri,                   Wyoming, and Colorado

-173 in Georgia

-73 in Loisiana

-70 in Ohio

-39 in Michigan

-21 in Oklahoma

-59 in Alabama

Even if we got EVERY single top recruit, in the EIGHT states closest to us, for FIVE YEARS in a row, we would still have less talent (per recruiting rankings) than if Alabama, Ohio State, or LSU just got every top player in their state.  We would still have less talent than if Georgia just got 1/3 of their instate recruits and no out of state recruits.  Even Michigan can get almost as much talent just in their home state as we can in our 8 closest.  USC could never leave L.A. and get as much talent as we can in our entire region. 

In that region their are 7 schools competing for those recruits (Us, Iowa, Iowa State, Colorado, Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri).  In Alabama its just 2 (Bama , Auburn).

In Ohio just 1 (OSU)

In Louisiana just 1 (LSU)

in Georgia just 2 (Georgia , GTech)

In Michigan just 2 (Michigan, Mich State)

We are probably in the hardest region to recruit in the entire country.  Less talent per P5 team than anywhere else.  Also Wisconsin and Minnesota are hard places to recruit.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1

Wanted to add.  You can see why Ohio State has been so good for so long.  And why the SEC has been, its almost surprising that the SEC hasn't been deeper.  On the flip side, its pretty impressive that Wisconsin, Iowa, Iowa State, and Minnesota have all had recent success, and that Kansas State, Nebraska, and Colorado all had such success not too long ago. This whole Region from Colorado all the way to Wisconsin has very few highly rated recruits, and yet quite a bit of P5 programs, its impressive that most of these schools have been as decent as they have been.

Anyhow, if anyone has any input on our recruiting Advantages or Disadvantages, maybe discuss. 

I do think that the recruiting services dont spend much time on states like Minnesota or Nebraska, and go where they can bang alot of recruits out in a close area.  Cause there seems to be no way that there is never a year, some kid from North Dakota or Wyoming would be in the top freaking 40 in Georgia.  I mean i get it..theres not many people here, and even less black people, but there has to be an occasional stud nomatter where you are.

• Plus1 1

It’s a complex issue. 

yes, there is more talent in those areas. 

there is more population and their HS football is more developed. 

yes, those programs can recruit from their own states and have a big advantage over Nebraska. 

I also firmly believe there are kids in Nebraska and surrounding states that would be rated higher if they were playing in Georgia, Florida or Texas. 

Nebraska kids probably will need more development once here. 

So, reality is somewhere in between.

Fact is, we need to get the good players from 500 miles AND recruit nationally well.  

• Plus1 2
23 minutes ago, BigPeterJ said:

Wanted to add.  You can see why Ohio State has been so good for so long.  And why the SEC has been, its almost surprising that the SEC hasn't been deeper.  On the flip side, its pretty impressive that Wisconsin, Iowa, Iowa State, and Minnesota have all had recent success, and that Kansas State, Nebraska, and Colorado all had such success not too long ago. This whole Region from Colorado all the way to Wisconsin has very few highly rated recruits, and yet quite a bit of P5 programs, its impressive that most of these schools have been as decent as they have been.

Anyhow, if anyone has any input on our recruiting Advantages or Disadvantages, maybe discuss. 

I do think that the recruiting services dont spend much time on states like Minnesota or Nebraska, and go where they can bang alot of recruits out in a close area.  Cause there seems to be no way that there is never a year, some kid from North Dakota or Wyoming would be in the top freaking 40 in Georgia.  I mean i get it..theres not many people here, and even less black people, but there has to be an occasional stud nomatter where you are.

I think SC said that Nebraska has the 5th largest fan base on rivals.  They will pay attention to someone once they get on our radar, but I agree, I do think these areas are underserved as far as ratings go.

5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

It’s a complex issue. 

yes, there is more talent in those areas. 

there is more population and their HS football is more developed. 

yes, those programs can recruit from their own states and have a big advantage over Nebraska. 

I also firmly believe there are kids in Nebraska and surrounding states that would be rated higher if they were playing in Georgia, Florida or Texas. 

Nebraska kids probably will need more development once here. 

So, reality is somewhere in between.

Fact is, we need to get the good players from 500 miles AND recruit nationally well.  

If it were my job to evaluate future NFL talent for a recruiting website (edit), which it isn't, I would assume that the teams sending the  most people to the NFL and winning in CFB have the best players, making my job a lot easier.  

2 hours ago, BigPeterJ said:

I wasn't sure where to put this but I found this interesting and a bit shocking. Looking at a chart on where the best recruits are.

4* and 5* recruits in the past 5 years:

-47 combined in Nebraska, South Dakota,               North Dakota, Kansas, Iowa, Missouri,                   Wyoming, and Colorado

-173 in Georgia

-73 in Loisiana

-70 in Ohio

-39 in Michigan

-21 in Oklahoma

-59 in Alabama

Every time I see stats like this I wonder why Georgia isn't better.  The Dawgs are the main university in the state with the most talent.  Even the recruit rich state of Texas has to share among several good programs.  Same with California and Florida.  But state of Georgia has only the Dawgs and far below them, the Ramblin Wreck of Georgia Tech.  

So why doesn't Georgia dominate the recruiting of their home state and crush the rest of the SEC under their stubby bulldog legs? 

1 hour ago, NUance said:

Every time I see stats like this I wonder why Georgia isn't better.  The Dawgs are the main university in the state with the most talent.  Even the recruit rich state of Texas has to share among several good programs.  Same with California and Florida.  But state of Georgia has only the Dawgs and far below them, the Ramblin Wreck of Georgia Tech.  

So why doesn't Georgia dominate the recruiting of their home state and crush the rest of the SEC under their stubby bulldog legs? 

Georgia routinely recruits top 5 classes.  I think they just haven't had the right coach.

Also, they have been consistently very good, just haven't won a championship.  A couple SEC title games though.  I suspect that Alabama has stolen what would have been Georgia Title games or playoff births.  The Bama dynasty has hurt Georgia as much as anyone, plus they share a border, it isn't very far from Georgia to Tuscaloosa.

1 hour ago, Waldo said:

Irrelevant to the discussion, but was looking through the state rankings on 247 after reading the OP... 23/25 top players (4&5*) in California left the state. Pretty crazy. Proves position coaches and winning matter. 

Thank God for so many players leaving state, cause if not Nebraska wouldn't have a chance.  And USC, and most of the SEC would be light years ahead of everyone else.  Same with OSU, but OSU IS light years ahead

2 hours ago, NUance said:

Clemson gets a lot of guys out of Atlanta since is only a few hours from their campus.

• Fire 1

5 hours ago, BigPeterJ said:

Georgia routinely recruits top 5 classes.  I think they just haven't had the right coach.

Also, they have been consistently very good, just haven't won a championship.  A couple SEC title games though.  I suspect that Alabama has stolen what would have been Georgia Title games or playoff births.  The Bama dynasty has hurt Georgia as much as anyone, plus they share a border, it isn't very far from Georgia to Tuscaloosa.

Richt was the right coach for them for a long time, until he wasn't. 2 conference championships, 6 top 10 finishes in his first 8 years. 

Smart is also the right coach for them. Three years in a row in the championship game and the top 10 (two in the top 5), lost the national championship in overtime, averaging 12 wins a year. 

I mean nobody other than Bama/Clemson/OU/OSU over the last 15 years is doing any better. Georgia isn't a blue blood, but they're right about where they should be as far as elite performance.

• Plus1 1
30 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Richt was the right coach for them for a long time, until he wasn't. 2 conference championships, 6 top 10 finishes in his first 8 years. 

Smart is also the right coach for them. Three years in a row in the championship game and the top 10 (two in the top 5), lost the national championship in overtime, averaging 12 wins a year. 

I mean nobody other than Bama/Clemson/OU/OSU over the last 15 years is doing any better. Georgia isn't a blue blood, but they're right about where they should be as far as elite performance.

Very true.  People just dont think of them in the same regard as Clemson or OSU cause they haven't won it all yet.  They are probably the most consistently good team that hasn't won the Championship in a long time.  But they should be.  I mean they have more talent that should favor them, than anyone else.  They are right up their with Florida and Texas for most bluechip recruits.  Yet they dont share the state with multiple other teams, like Texas teams do or Florida teams do.

Plus 2 of the greatest dynasties ever happen to hug their border.  I bet if it weren't for Bama and Clemson, Georgia would have a Ship by now.

• Plus1 1

Lots of good info in this thread.  Based on this, I see three regions that are under performing per the local talent. California/Arizona, Georgia/Florida and Texas.  With USC and UCLA both in the dumpster lately, California is a gold mine. Also a high number of Arizona kids leave the state to play P5 football.  Alabama/Clemson can't take all the talent out of the southeast especially with Fla St and Miami troubles lately. Oklahoma still poaches Texas kids, but that still leaves vast numbers and no Texas school is knocking it out of the park right now. UT and aTm will get theirs but that still leaves a bunch. To me the good news is we only need 21 or 22 kids a year or maybe a few more if SF can convince the non performers to transfer.  Get the 2 or 3 Nebraska kids each year plus another 3 or 4 from the 500 mile radius, that leaves 15 to 17 kids we need to convince that Lincoln can be their home for 3 or 4 years.  St Louis/KC is also an area we should have more of a presence in.

Just curious - where are the recruiting services located and where are the camps etc.  ?   By population CA TX Fl ought to have the lions share in simple numbers.
I tend to believe that the ratings are fairly accurate but only to the extent of their true scope.  What % of h.s. players are actually fully evaluated ?   I’d guess a third or more of good players are not seriously considered to start with.  
Some regions of the country are more football focused generally while others tend to be more in other sports or even non sports activities.  It might be that the % of high school boys that even play football in some states with higher populations is far lower than in some smaller pop states.  Population alone is not the only factor in determining where the best players may hail from.   

22 hours ago, BigPeterJ said:

They are waiting for their Burrow/Watson.