Recruiting Advantages

On 1/22/2020 at 1:39 PM, BigPeterJ said:

I wasn't sure where to put this but I found this interesting and a bit shocking. Looking at a chart on where the best recruits are.

4* and 5* recruits in the past 5 years:

-47 combined in Nebraska, South Dakota,               North Dakota, Kansas, Iowa, Missouri,                   Wyoming, and Colorado

-173 in Georgia

-73 in Loisiana

-70 in Ohio

-39 in Michigan

-21 in Oklahoma

-59 in Alabama

Even if we got EVERY single top recruit, in the EIGHT states closest to us, for FIVE YEARS in a row, we would still have less talent (per recruiting rankings) than if Alabama, Ohio State, or LSU just got every top player in their state.  We would still have less talent than if Georgia just got 1/3 of their instate recruits and no out of state recruits.  Even Michigan can get almost as much talent just in their home state as we can in our 8 closest.  USC could never leave L.A. and get as much talent as we can in our entire region. 

In that region their are 7 schools competing for those recruits (Us, Iowa, Iowa State, Colorado, Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri).  In Alabama its just 2 (Bama , Auburn).

In Ohio just 1 (OSU)

In Louisiana just 1 (LSU)

in Georgia just 2 (Georgia , GTech)

In Michigan just 2 (Michigan, Mich State)

We are probably in the hardest region to recruit in the entire country.  Less talent per P5 team than anywhere else.  Also Wisconsin and Minnesota are hard places to recruit.

Link?

Surprised Texass Doesn't appear to produce 4 and 5*s....Must be why we stopped recruiting thar..  ;D

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2017/12/18/16780636/best-recruits-2019-state-rankings

According to this, 47.5% of the nations 4 and 5 star players come from just 4 states in 2019.  48 each from California and Texas, 45 from Florida and 40 from Georgia.  Number 5 on the list is Mississippi who drops all the way down to 16 followed by Louisiana with 15. 

Outside of Alabama, Ohio State and Clemson and to some degree Georgia, who beat other teams down with sheer numbers of highly rated recruits, the other top ten teams have to win by recruiting 4 and 5 star kids who fit their system and develop quickly.  Example LSU this year struck gold with a transfer QB and great receivers along with a pretty salty defense.  

8 hours ago, HUSKER 37 said:

Link?

Surprised Texass Doesn't appear to produce 4 and 5*s....Must be why we stopped recruiting thar..  ;D

I should have included the link, but was too lazy to figure out how to do that.  Here is the link if i just copy and paste?.

https://www.bannersociety.com/2019/8/14/20747379/college-football-players-map-where-from

I tried to simplify it , cause the charts and maps take a while to figure out..   But if anyone wants to look deeper into it, there is the link.  Im sure there are more sites also,  but that is the site i used to break it down.  

I just gave some examples, Texass is similar to California and Florida.  I thought Georgia stuck out, because i thought Georgia has far less population than Texas or Florida , and yet they have almost as much studs.

11 hours ago, BigPeterJ said:

I should have included the link, but was too lazy to figure out how to do that.  Here is the link if i just copy and paste?.

https://www.bannersociety.com/2019/8/14/20747379/college-football-players-map-where-from

I tried to simplify it , cause the charts and maps take a while to figure out..   But if anyone wants to look deeper into it, there is the link.  Im sure there are more sites also,  but that is the site i used to break it down.  

I just gave some examples, Texass is similar to California and Florida.  I thought Georgia stuck out, because i thought Georgia has far less population than Texas or Florida , and yet they have almost as much studs.

Interesting thoughts on recruiting...THANKS!...I figured it was just an omission but was also surprised at Ga.

Another link I found interesting from your link...    a bunch of no-star punters and kickers from Australia.

Oh, and there are also a bunch of no-star punters and kickers from Australia.

College football players come from lots of places, but a few states create lots more of them than the rest. There’s a trickle-down effect, whether it’s from population moves, evaluators’ bias, or superior player development, that leads to tons more blue-chip recruits also coming from those states. Mathematically, it makes sense.

It changes how the sport works. The greatest competitive advantages a college football program can have are money and easy access to good recruits. And how much access a team has depends, in large part, on its zip code.

• 2 weeks later...

Zip code matters but it is not insurmountable.   If Nebraska did not have the historical / brand stature and lacked the national fan base and facilities etc then the recruiting disadvantages would be much harder to overcome.   But Nebraska football still has enough substance and repute with coaches and parents to find another couple bstches of good players from near and far to recover.   I believe that once Frost gets that first 9 win season the tide will come back in and we’ll be back.  Assuming the program stsys the course and resists the temptation - knee jerk panic - to once again try to reboot or restart.  We need to stand pat and remain fully supportive and let the rebuilding proceed with all deliberate speed.   Dont blink - just drive forward pedal to the metal!   These coaches have the hunger and drive and stamina and the confident support of the admin to succeed.  Patience !!!  

• Plus1 3

I post my recruiting stats every couple years. It's always Ohio St and Georgia that have it the easiest. Ohio St is the only P5 school in Ohio and G Tech rarely gets good players for the insane amount of good kids out of GA. The other schools in Texas and Cali have poached a ton of in state kids that didn't in the past where Texas and USC always got.