Duval's S&C - Year 3

Mavric

13 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I remember in college a kid fell over warming up squatting 135 our first lifting day of camp.  He said he had never  squatted with free weights because his HS had smith machines.  Definitely pros to using free weights when you are an athlete. 

Seen a lot of guys pushing plates on the smith machine/leg press, etc only to get crushed by a 225 squat or 135 OHP. It’s actually quite hilarious. Weights are humbling & egos of teenage/mid 20s males are sky high. They would rather use bad form to lift another 50-60 lbs. 

• Plus1 1
16 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Thanks.  Appreciate the info.  I understand there should be benefits to both (free lifting and the controlled/focused of machines).  I was wondering about the safety, balance, etc. I might have guessed something like the extra big weight lifts with a machine vs perhaps lesser amounts with free lifts.  What little I know would be with pros/cons of lots of reps with less weights vs a few reps with big weight.  

Maybe they do few reps / heavier to increase strength as opposed to lots of reps to fatigue for bulking up.   

I also suppose they are not body building for show - but looking for short bursts of big power for football benefit.  Of course conditioning is also a goal.

Again thanks for the imput.  Just curious really.  Need something to ponder these football-less days. 

When it comes to the big lifts (bench, deadlift and squats), the Smith Machine is worthless in my opinion.  When you do those lifts the "real" way, the bar doesn't move in a straight line like it does on a Smith Machine.  And I stated in the other post, those lifts are all compound lifts meaning there are more than one muscle group being engaged and the Smith Machine certainly takes away from that.  I can do a half assed squat with the Smith Machine, but I also have to lean back a little because the machine is also angled.  Obviously putting yourself in an angled position isn't the safest.

The Smith Machine, however, is "safer."  You're not going to drop anything onto yourself as there are safety hooks or latches or whatever word you'd like to use to describe them.  

I really do like Hammer Strength equipment.  I do very well with their incline bench and standard bench machines and I'm able to push myself really hard knowing I won't drop the weight onto my chest.  Their row machines are terrific too.  So I'm not anti-machine at all, but not a fan of Smith Machines.  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

Well, my concern is player health/injury prevention.  They have limited time to be athletes at NU.  One major training error could cost games or seasons or even a career.  And they are 18, 19, 20 year old “kids” in that they may tend to goof around or slack off the finer points of being safe now and then.  With 150 being supervised by a few dozen (?) sh*t can happen.  

But I see the advantages.  

4 hours ago, southernoregonhusker said:

When it comes to the big lifts (bench, deadlift and squats), the Smith Machine is worthless in my opinion.  When you do those lifts the "real" way, the bar doesn't move in a straight line like it does on a Smith Machine.  And I stated in the other post, those lifts are all compound lifts meaning there are more than one muscle group being engaged and the Smith Machine certainly takes away from that.  I can do a half assed squat with the Smith Machine, but I also have to lean back a little because the machine is also angled.  Obviously putting yourself in an angled position isn't the safest.

The Smith Machine, however, is "safer."  You're not going to drop anything onto yourself as there are safety hooks or latches or whatever word you'd like to use to describe them.  

I really do like Hammer Strength equipment.  I do very well with their incline bench and standard bench machines and I'm able to push myself really hard knowing I won't drop the weight onto my chest.  Their row machines are terrific too.  So I'm not anti-machine at all, but not a fan of Smith Machines.  

Hammer Strength stuff is awesome. 

• Plus1 1