Duval's S&C - Year 3

Mavric

2 hours ago, Red Five said:

After the last however many years of Nebraska football, I refuse to buy in to S&C hype.  Every year its the same story of the players being bigger, stronger, faster.  And then add in the current staff trashing the last staff's S&C while getting similar (or worse) results on the field.

Can someone make a Bart Simpson writing on the chalkboard meme saying "I will not buy in to S&C hype"?

1 hour ago, dspanther05 said:

We haven't heard of any players being in the best shape of their lives yet so the S&C hype train hasn't even left the station yet.

I'm already on board the S&C hype train, woo woo, here we go!!

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, Red Five said:

After the last however many years of Nebraska football, I refuse to buy in to S&C hype.  Every year its the same story of the players being bigger, stronger, faster.  And then add in the current staff trashing the last staff's S&C while getting similar (or worse) results on the field.

Can someone make a Bart Simpson writing on the chalkboard meme saying "I will not buy in to S&C hype"?

I'm one of the most optimistic Husker fans there is.

But, I'm right here with you on these S&C hype attempts.  

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, dspanther05 said:

We haven't heard of any players being in the best shape of their lives yet so the S&C hype train hasn't even left the station yet.

Maybe for once they will decide to let their play do the talking.  I would love a slow-play of the matter.  Within the team they can talk it up, but to the media they should talk about how they are really not making as much progress as theyd like, we're gonna struggle a bit this year, we are still a couple years away etc.  And then comeout on gameday and surprise the opponents.  The reverse of whatever we have done, should work.

• Plus1 1

Hey, if we don't get our hopes up BEFORE the season starts, when will we ever have the chance to get them up?

jK, I will not be getting my hopes up this time around. In fact, I won't get my hopes up before we beat a good portion of our last five 2020 opponents. Not even 7-0 will do it for me.

• Plus1 1

4 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Hey, if we don't get our hopes up BEFORE the season starts, when will we ever have the chance to get them up?

jK, I will not be getting my hopes up this time around. In fact, I won't get my hopes up before we beat a good portion of our last five 2020 opponents. Not even 7-0 will do it for me.

If we're 7-0 i will be excited!  That would mean we're a good team, idc who we play.

7 hours ago, Red Five said:

Ha...This is soooo true!

Just wait until the media starts to push out the hype machine (which they should because they are a business and they want to see their subscriptions)...I have a buddy that basically won't even read/listen to the hype anymore.

• Plus1 1
9 hours ago, Red Five said:

It was pretty clear and could point to very specific players where under both bo and mr s&c was optional at best.  By any measure, whether you’ve seen it translate yet to the field or not, the team is in better shape.  Keep in mind, a frosh or soph, even in shape, is still only an underclassmen.

• Fire 1

On 1/23/2020 at 8:23 PM, Decked said:

My favorite thread of the season -a gym rat 

My favorite recent article about s/c..

Here is an in-progress field guide. Fortunately, the subject is not an elusive one. (No one that huge is.)

I. SPECIES ORIGINS/NATIVE ENVIRONMENT/EVOLUTION

The strength coach emerged recently, first appearing in the Midwest. Nebraska head coach Bob Devaney hired Boyd Epley — a scholarship pole vaulter, albeit a ripped one — in 1969 at the urging of future Cornhuskers head coach Tom Osborne.

Devaney agreed to let his players lift weights, but with one caveat: “If anyone gets slower, you’re fired.”

So Epley started Nebraska’s strength program alone in an un-air-conditioned shed and used paint cans as weights. No one got slower.

Strength programs popped up pretty much everywhere. Everyone eventually started doing what Nebraska was doing.

Fifty years later, strength coaches manage weight rooms the size of Nebraska’s old practice facility. They manage their own staffs. When NCAA rule changes limited the amount of time position coaches could spend with players, strength coaches became the staff members with the most rule-sanctioned player contact.

That change did not escape the notice of head coaches, who pumped up the position to become more swole with responsibilities than previously imagined. Their organizational importance bulked up beyond proper squat technique. Strength coaches now talk about being “culture drivers,” have gameday duties, and yes, still teach 18-year-olds how to be physically uncomfortable in the name of becoming a better athlete.

They are the front-line evangelists from the program to the players. Their voice is often as loud as the head coach’s and heard just as often. (If not more, and at much greater volume.)

sirmove.0.0.gif

• Fire 2

I'm pretty simple.  The last few years I've seen teams like LSU, Clemson, Alabama and tOSU put players on the field that look like grown men.  We've put guys on the field that look like big kids in pretty decent shape.  Just looking at pictures and videos, it looks like we've got a few more of the 'grown men' players showing up on the team.  Hope that means something.

• Haha 2
10 hours ago, grandpasknee said:

I'm pretty simple.  The last few years I've seen teams like LSU, Clemson, Alabama and tOSU put players on the field that look like grown men.  We've put guys on the field that look like big kids in pretty decent shape.  Just looking at pictures and videos, it looks like we've got a few more of the 'grown men' players showing up on the team.  Hope that means something.

The most scientific metric to determine the S&C of a team is the "eye ball" test.  To date, we are looking better than we have in the past, but as you mentioned, not looking like a team that will make a run for the conference.  Again, to get a roster full of those guys will take a lot of S&C, recruiting "ready" kids and keeping those we get.....