Should Clones be Granted Full Rights of a Citizen?

Should Clones be Granted Full Rights?   

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

People have been cloning their pets in the U.S. for a while now. It costs $50,000 to clone a dog, and $25,000 for a cat.  You know someone has to be cloning humans as well.  But it might take a while for them to come out of the closet with it.  

(votes are public)

i voted yes on all options.   i admit to not knowing much of anything about cloning but i assume the children born this way would be basically the same as any one of us.   they would have their own thoughts, their own unique upbringing, basic human emotions and such.   not sure how they would  be legally held any different than the rest of us

2 minutes ago, GSG said:

The one from the 80s or the one from 2009? 

(I didn't actually see much of either except for Morena Baccarin in 09 :D)

Ha...they were both awesome and so was she!

This is an interesting question though and on a lot of different levels.

How often will people be able to change their gender (or sex), when we will start to get to pick our age?  Will we be "allowed" to clone "bad" people...

There's zero chance we don't have human clones walking the earth right now.  Dolly the Sheep was cloned in the mid 90s. There's been 25 years of research done since then, and there's someone, somewhere, who's been working on cloning humans.

I voted yes on the first two, no on the last one, but that's more of an "I don't know." The lack of knowledge of the gene donor makes it nebulous in my eyes. I think clones are no different than any other human, and I think they should have inheritance rights and every other right that a human has.

The last question isn't dissimilar to a guy hooking up with some girl in college, then 40 years later he finds out a child came from that. Or, let's say the product of that hookup shows up at the guy's funeral. There would be a legal claim, but it'd be fought in court. No different with a clone. That would have to be fought in court, and of course legal precedents set, all that stuff.

I didnt vote because I'm not sure. I mean I suppose clones should have rights just like anyone else but I guess I have a problem with cloning humans in the first place. But that isnt really the fault of the clone themselves. Interesting topic.

By parent do you mean the person being cloned? 

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, knapplc said:

There's zero chance we don't have human clones walking the earth right now.  Dolly the Sheep was cloned in the mid 90s. There's been 25 years of research done since then, and there's someone, somewhere, who's been working on cloning humans.

I voted yes on the first two, no on the last one, but that's more of an "I don't know." The lack of knowledge of the gene donor makes it nebulous in my eyes. I think clones are no different than any other human, and I think they should have inheritance rights and every other right that a human has.

The last question isn't dissimilar to a guy hooking up with some girl in college, then 40 years later he finds out a child came from that. Or, let's say the product of that hookup shows up at the guy's funeral. There would be a legal claim, but it'd be fought in court. No different with a clone. That would have to be fought in court, and of course legal precedents set, all that stuff.

Depends what we mean by parent. If someone is letting themselves be cloned I'd say that's far different than hooking up with someone. You know full and well what the outcome will be as compared to wanting to just hook up with someone. The motivations are entirely different.

2 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Depends what we mean by parent. If someone is letting themselves be cloned I'd say that's far different than hooking up with someone. You know full and well what the outcome will be as compared to wanting to just hook up with someone. The motivations are entirely different.

Exactly. Intentional vs. unintentional child-making. It's still a person, the difference is (per this question) whether the parent knew about it.

In the case of clones, I wonder if we'll call the gene donor the "parent." Probably depends on the circumstances. If you want the kid, you're going to consider yourself a parent.

15 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Exactly. Intentional vs. unintentional child-making. It's still a person, the difference is (per this question) whether the parent knew about it.

In the case of clones, I wonder if we'll call the gene donor the "parent." Probably depends on the circumstances. If you want the kid, you're going to consider yourself a parent.

If parents (sperm/egg donor) are part of the process, without a doubt I think they should be responsible.

If a fertility doctor does some "black market" stuff and creates a clone without the donors' permission I don't see how there would be a realistic way to hold the "donors" accountable.

Right now it is illegal, right?  So taking this to court would be interesting; kind of like calling the cops on your neighbors for stealing your weed!  Definitely potential for a movie/book!

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Right. I guess the only situation I could see where you could be cloned without your consent would be through illegal means so in most cases the clone should have inheritance rights of the donor. It is interesting though because what role does the scientist doing the cloning play in all of this? Specifically if that person is cloning people without their consent, that person should be liable.