OG Deshawn Woods [Wyoming - Signed LOI]

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

33 members have voted

1. 1. To which school will Woods commit?

This poll is closed to new votes

2 minutes ago, Decked said:

Cold + boring or lack of stuff to do. A lot of kids grow up and wanna move to LA or just out of the Midwest in general.  

I get that, heck I live in Denver while the rest of my family lives in Omaha. However, I think that’s a Nebraska/Midwest thing that an “Omaha” thing. You seem to be blaming the fact that they want to go someplace “different” because they are from Omaha. That’s what I’m not quite understanding. 

• Thanks 2
Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

I get that, heck I live in Denver while the rest of my family lives in Omaha. However, I think that’s a Nebraska/Midwest thing that an “Omaha” thing. You seem to be blaming the fact that they want to go someplace “different” because they are from Omaha. That’s what I’m not quite understanding. 

I think omaha kids especially loathe living in Nebraska/Midwest. It’s something in the age group of teens-young 20 year olds. A lot of kids don’t wanna stay in the Midwest. I just think in Omaha they especially think that way. 

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Decked said:

I think omaha kids especially loathe living in Nebraska/Midwest. It’s something in the age group of teens-young 20 year olds. A lot of kids don’t wanna stay in the Midwest. I just think in Omaha they especially think that way. 

In another thread you said these Omaha kids aren’t “loyal to the state of Nebraska”. Why should they be loyal to the State or the state’s football program? These kids’ first loyalty should be themselves, and what they want out of life. Maybe Omaha kids are in a somewhat bigger city for the area, and still wanting something bigger for themselves. I don’t have an issue with that, but it seems you do. 

Also, I remember a Wood River kid going to Stanford in 1993. I remember Ty Goode from Lincoln Southeast nearly 30 years ago going to Notre Dame. I remember Bryson Williams from Lincoln going to Wisconsin. It’s not always “an Omaha thing”. 

• Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

In another thread you said these Omaha kids aren’t “loyal to the state of Nebraska”. Why should they be loyal to the State or the state’s football program? These kids’ first loyalty should be themselves, and what they want out of life. Maybe Omaha kids are in a somewhat bigger city for the area, and still wanting something bigger for themselves. I don’t have an issue with that, but it seems you do. 

Also, I remember a Wood River kid going to Stanford in 1993. I remember Ty Goode from Lincoln Southeast nearly 30 years ago going to Notre Dame. I remember Bryson Williams from Lincoln going to Wisconsin. It’s not always “an Omaha thing”. 

It isn’t always an omaha thing but those are rarities. FYI Williams would’ve agone to N if the transition would’ve been faster. Wanted to stay loyal to Wisky. Not crooted by Riley. 

I’m just saying it occurs more more often in omaha kids relative to the rest of the state. They don’t care about Nebraska football you have to really, really put fourth a ton of effort to get them interested. Most of the time the rest of the state dreams about putting on the N. Riley will join them in signing out of state. I think we get Helms & Hausmann. Helms will be a fight. Oklahoma is gonna push really hard.  

9 minutes ago, Decked said:

It isn’t always an omaha thing but those are rarities. FYI Williams would’ve agone to N if the transition would’ve been faster. Wanted to stay loyal to Wisky. Not crooted by Riley. 

I’m just saying it occurs more more often in omaha kids relative to the rest of the state. They don’t care about Nebraska football you have to really, really put fourth a ton of effort to get them interested. Most of the time the rest of the state dreams about putting on the N. Riley will join them in signing out of state. I think we get Helms & Hausmann. Helms will be a fight. Oklahoma is gonna push really hard.  

Maybe these Omaha kids have a bigger picture view on life than kids from smaller towns in Nebraska. It’s not a bad thing for those kids. They are talented, working hard to get noticed from schools all over the country, and they have the choice to go anywhere they want. Plus, maybe the thing keeping a lot of in-state kids around was winning football. When that doesn’t happen, I can see why they may want to look elsewhere, especially if the kid is a minority. 

If we were winning, these "Omaha kids" would grow up dreaming of playing in Memorial Stadium. The fact that they have not seen a winner in their lifetime,  combined with all the turnover and negative talk by local media, national media, and social media have led them to dream different dreams. Plain and simple.

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, HANC said:

If we were winning, these "Omaha kids" would grow up dreaming of playing in Memorial Stadium. The fact that they have not seen a winner in their lifetime,  combined with all the turnover and negative talk by local media, national media, and social media have led them to dream different dreams. Plain and simple.

I agree. If they are a competitor who wants to compete and win. I see why the look elsewhere. I wish they wouldn’t because it’s harder to get good again without as much talent as possible. But if a kid doesn’t want to lose- we are a bad option at this time. 4-5 wins every year is not inspiring 

• Plus1 2
9 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I agree. If they are a competitor who wants to compete and win. I see why the look elsewhere. I wish they wouldn’t because it’s harder to get good again without as much talent as possible. But if a kid doesn’t want to lose- we are a bad option at this time. 4-5 wins every year is not inspiring 

But that's the thing. Most of his options are not recent consistent winners.

• Fire 1

It's more of a handful of recent in-state recruits thinking the grass is greener elsewhere and some will find out that isn't true. If none of them have major success by going to these other schools then the "but it will be better going to some other school" will be less appealing. That and Frost winning more games and all of this will take care of itself. 

And you will never land every top in-state kid every year. The current head coach, as all know, left and came back. There has been chatter that a certain ND player has been thinking of going back to Nebraska to get on the field. 

• Haha 3

Lets not act all high and mighty towards some of the teams on their lists.  Every one of them has had better records then us the last 3 years.  Winning and trajectory matters to these kids.  That is something that we have been preaching and havent followed through with and the kids are noticing. 

• Plus1 4
4 hours ago, uberism said:

It's more of a handful of recent in-state recruits thinking the grass is greener elsewhere and some will find out that isn't true. If none of them have major success by going to these other schools then the "but it will be better going to some other school" will be less appealing. That and Frost winning more games and all of this will take care of itself. 

And you will never land every top in-state kid every year. The current head coach, as all know, left and came back. There has been chatter that a certain ND player has been thinking of going back to Nebraska to get on the field. 

I asked about him in another thread a out a month ago. I wont be shocked if he doesn't end up back here at some point.

• Fire 1
23 hours ago, Decked said:

I think your stance is a little misguided. True, coaches have to put in more effort with kids from Omaha but I don't think that it's just an Omaha problem. Kansas City is tough and St. Louis especially where we are 0 for 50-75 since we signed Tre Bryant in 2016. It isn't that Omaha or big city kids loathe Nebraska, it's that bigger city kids generally get more attention than a kid from Crete, Norfolk or Hastings. And with more attention from other programs, generally it means more recruiting effort is needed from the coaches.

@ColoradoHusk and others hit the nail on the head that winning cures a lot of the ailments. The roster has turned over enough, the staff has stayed intact for long enough, this year is where progress must come. I'm not saying there's a hot seat but the team, staff, playbook, etc. are all in place by now. Results must follow and then the recruiting efforts will likely be rewarded more often.

• Plus1 2
  • Mavric changed the title to OG Deshawn Woods [Missouri Commit]
  • Mavric changed the title to OG Deshawn Woods [Wyoming - Signed LOI]