OG Deshawn Woods [Wyoming - Signed LOI]

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

33 members have voted

1. 1. To which school will Woods commit?

This poll is closed to new votes

1 hour ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Can the people who always clamor for the in-state recruits fill me in on the top guys who have gone to other schools and had lots of success over say the last 10 years?  I've never lived in NE so I don't much care where recruits live.  The only guy I really remember over that time period is the TE who went to Iowa.

Fant is the key one. Also "missed" on the Johnson brothers, Easton Stick, Nick Leduca & Kyle Emmanuel at NDSU. Fant had the most fanfare for snubbing Nebraska largely because it was believed that Riley's staff didn't put enough effort into trying to land him. Most others grew to be studs at their schools of choice but were not as sought after as others out of high school. Turned out to be really good players but difficult to say they would have been as successful had they came here under some of the coaching we had the previous years, especially under Riley's staff where development really was a struggle.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
33 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Fant is the key one. Also "missed" on the Johnson brothers, Easton Stick, Nick Leduca & Kyle Emmanuel at NDSU. Fant had the most fanfare for snubbing Nebraska largely because it was believed that Riley's staff didn't put enough effort into trying to land him. Most others grew to be studs at their schools of choice but were not as sought after as others out of high school. Turned out to be really good players but difficult to say they would have been as successful had they came here under some of the coaching we had the previous years, especially under Riley's staff where development really was a struggle.

There were a couple others that went to Iowa.  Bazata?

• Plus1 1

Not all of those guys mentioned were "top 2" in-state kids for their respective classes. 

What is more important than must land top 2 in-state is bring in a strong class as a whole no matter where they are located as teenagers, develop them and win football games. We are doing ok in recruiting staying in the top 20 range for 3 classes in a row, now develop the talent and win games. Then recruiting will continue to climb. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

I mean did they become all-conference and then get drafted?  That's what I would call a miss.  I guess its all in retrospect that if an instate kid snubs Nebraska but then doesn't amount to anything who cares?  I grew up in IN and saw it a lot with IU basketball after Knight was fired losing top talent to other schools.  But they go to schools like Mich st, Ohio st and Duke.  Schools IU plays and you see it come back to bite them by missing out.  Fant not only went to Iowa but he played well against Nebraska and got drafted.  That's what you don't want to see.

11 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I mean did they become all-conference and then get drafted?  That's what I would call a miss.  I guess its all in retrospect that if an instate kid snubs Nebraska but then doesn't amount to anything who cares?  I grew up in IN and saw it a lot with IU basketball after Knight was fired losing top talent to other schools.  But they go to schools like Mich st, Ohio st and Duke.  Schools IU plays and you see it come back to bite them by missing out.  Fant not only went to Iowa but he played well against Nebraska and got drafted.  That's what you don't want to see.

Additionally, those kids that head to Wyoming and Ohio who would typically have been value added depth and most likely cracked the 2 deep in their JR and/or Sr year are missed as well. 

The expectation that all top kids should stay 'home' is crazy. There are kids all over the country that leave their home state to go somewhere else...top kids do that and they can do that. The biggest issue IMO (and stated by others as well) winning will help. Help is the key word. Living and coaching in MN I see the top kids leave all of the time (one is currently on the Huskers roster). With the success that PJ has had, some of the best kids in state leave. I know comparing MN to the Huskers is not apple to apples, but they have been far more successful than the Huskers over the last 5+ years and it happens to them.

Maybe the staff maintains these relationships and make better connection with the HS coaches in Omaha/across the state to help get there. Also, the two announcing their Top 5 this past week had zero BIG schools in there...that sends an even different message that they want something different.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
41 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Yes, hindsight is always 20/20. Ask yourself this question about that though... do they become all-conference and get drafted if they were coached by Mike Riley, Langsdorf, Bob MF Diaco? 

I don't think I'm discounting any of the players as they all turned out to be great talent for their schools. Although it is awesome to have the hometown heroes and Nebraska-born guys making great strides and representing our program, I think we need to have some perspective with regards to the talent coming out of high school. Example: 2010 - Kyle Emmanuel. Most didn't know him and he had little to no accolades. Turned into a great player at NDSU and was drafted. However, Nebraska offered one scholarship to a linebacker in 2010... Lavonte David. Nebraska also offered a walk-on spot to Trevor Roach who ended up playing briefly in the NFL as well. 

Did Nebraska miss by not signing Kyle Emmanuel? Based on your first question above, yes. I can understand that point but we also need to remember that the schools have ~20-25 scholarships to give out in any one cycle and likely only a few that can be handed out at any one position. 

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

There were a couple others that went to Iowa.  Bazata?

1 hour ago, Decked said:

+ Ott 

Serviceable players, can't say they were better than the Davis twins, Maliek Collins, Vincent Valentine, etc. when they were high school seniors. Would have helped here but only so many scholarships to go around.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

They started for a better team.  They could have helped our program.

When they were recruited, Iowa was not the better team versus Nebraska. By the time they left, Nebraska had assembled the unfortunate group of Mike Riley, Eichorst & Harvey P and Iowa was the better team.

Would you have given a scholarship to Bazata over Maliek Collins? Or Ott over Vincent Valentine? The short answer is no. You're using the ends to justify the means which is unwise for this scenario. Both guys ended up being decent players for Iowa and likely could have been contributors here. That said, out of high school they were justifiably given walk-on opportunities here but instead pursued a scholarship at another school. Worked out well them which is what is most important. 

• Mavric changed the title to OG Deshawn Woods [Missouri Commit]
  • Mavric changed the title to OG Deshawn Woods [Wyoming - Signed LOI]