Sabastian Harsh

1 minute ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Is he going to punt or play a different position.  My nephew took a scholarship from UNO to play def. instead of being a walk-on place kicker.  Different time & coaches, but it sounds like you do not know the whole story.

Exactly my question. If you can only punt I wouldn't give out a scholly. I don't doubt he was a good HS player, but it doesn't seem he has the athleticism to play something else in the B10 

23 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Is he going to punt or play a different position.  My nephew took a scholarship from UNO to play def. instead of being a walk-on place kicker.  Different time & coaches, but it sounds like you do not know the whole story.

I think it is just reflective of the program if you cant value what kids like that show you in your own house.  I think his on the field effort there in Memorial was indicative of what the kid would do.  

Does anyone ever know the whole story?  I mean really?  Did the Deangelo evans recruiters or the Washington recruiters know the whole story?  Burrow?  Woodhead?  

You put that Kid in an N helmet and see what happens.  If you can, go back and watch the 2nd half of the Class B final this year.

Just now, dvdcrr said:

I think it is just reflective of the program if you cant value what kids like that show you in your own house.  I think his on the field effort there in Memorial was indicative of what the kid would do.  

Does anyone ever know the whole story?  I mean really?  Did the Deangelo evans recruiters or the Washington recruiters know the whole story?  Burrows?  Woodhead?  

I disagree with giving a HS kicker a scholarship.  Its more about numbers and positions of need.  Remember we only  have 85 scholarships, not the 105 TO had.

58 minutes ago, dvdcrr said:

So let me get this straight,

A 6'2 230 lb kid comes into your house, leading his team to the state title game 2 years in a row doing it with both his arm and his feet, fights like a lion for 8 quarters, unleashes what has to be a record punt, when he is not even a kicker,  when your own college punter can't even do it,  and you are like ..."meh".

Like I said, this might be a miss for Nebraska.  What I don't get is why you are taking this so personally.  Is this your son?

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

Like I said, this might be a miss for Nebraska.  What I don't get is why you are taking this so personally.  Is this your son?

Agreed this is a weird thing to get this mad about unless you have some stakes here.

• Plus1 1
20 minutes ago, Ziebol said:

Agreed this is a weird thing to get this mad about unless you have some stakes here.

Shades of the guy from Katy, Texas checking in and raging at Bo Pelini for not playing Adam Taylor 

Kbccandyman or Kbccattyman...whatever his name was 

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, dvdcrr said:

So let me get this straight,

A 6'2 230 lb kid comes into your house, leading his team to the state title game 2 years in a row doing it with both his arm and his feet, fights like a lion for 8 quarters, unleashes what has to be a record punt, when he is not even a kicker,  when your own college punter can't even do it,  and you are like ..."meh".

First, I doubt he is a QB recruit for anyone.  So "doing it with his arm" really has no relevance.  Not to mention he threw fewer than 7 passes per game and only completed 54%.  So I'm not sure that's really accurate.

He was a beast of a runner.  But I'm not sure he's terribly fast.  So running back is probably out.  

That leaves linebacker.  And he could probably be a solid one.  But he's not even a scholarship guy at a middling Mountain West program.  It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of that has to do with academics. 

I hope the best for the kid because he looks like he has the makings of a really good football player.  But I'm not going to be surprised if there's an update this summer about which JUCO he's going to.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, dvdcrr said:

Does anyone ever know the whole story?  I mean really?  Did the Deangelo evans recruiters or the Washington recruiters know the whole story?  Burrow?  Woodhead?  

You put that Kid in an N helmet and see what happens.  If you can, go back and watch the 2nd half of the Class B final this year.

For every one of these kids that pan out, there are 4 or 5 that cant hang. 
Burrow was a miss by the last regime and he was a 4 star out of HS, not even in the same argument as Mr. Harsh. 

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, Mavric said:

First, I doubt he is a QB recruit for anyone.  So "doing it with his arm" really has no relevance.  Not to mention he threw fewer than 7 passes per game and only completed 54%.  So I'm not sure that's really accurate.

He was a beast of a runner.  But I'm not sure he's terribly fast.  So running back is probably out.  

That leaves linebacker.  And he could probably be a solid one.  But he's not even a scholarship guy at a middling Mountain West program.  It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of that has to do with academics. 

I hope the best for the kid because he looks like he has the makings of a really good football player.  But I'm not going to be surprised if there's an update this summer about which JUCO he's going to.

Oooh thats Harsh!

His coach said the kid could have thrown for 2000 yds but they don't run that kind of offense. Coach's words, not mine.  It reminds me of when the NP coach told folks Woodhead was the best back he had coached in 25 years.  And folks scoffed.

Are we saying that we don't want to develop excellent in-state players?  BC that is what he was.  By all measures. As good as any walk on we have.  Have you heard of the self-fulfilling prophecy and the value of expectation?  

Or do you just want everything handed to you on a silver platter?

5 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Well it is just that as a program if you have pure apathy for a Nebraska kid like that, and I am telling you, watch his games, then you deserve to be 5-6.  It is Callahanesque.  Bugs the sh#@ out of me.  

And I said before, the whole kick thing, no I am not saying he is a kicker I am saying that was an athletic act few can duplicate.  Do we value Jim Thorpe just for throwing percentage or ypg? Hell no, it was because he could by gawd do it all.  Pure athlete.  

This kid from Scottsbluff damn near won the Class B title on his own damn determination, period.  

All I am saying is a smart staff sends a message to the states prep players about what they value if they give that kid a hat with a red N on it.  Hard work, athleticism, wanting to lay it all out there on THAT field. 

Now, Mav points out I dont know the particulars and this is true.  

But I would have been on that field with a black ink pen and a piece of paper for that kid. 

If he gives the effort at Laramie he gave in Memorial stadium, he will be fine.  Frankly he left more on the field there in 8 quarters than about 60% of the current NU roster.

5 hours ago, Mavric said:

I respect this take.  My thesis here is though as NU you take these Nebraska kids who are the beasts and you develop them.  You dont let them boom or bust elsewhere.

I dont know if others would have offered him but I would have offered him something.  And the message to the kids of the rest of the state is this.  You come into Memorial stadium and show that kind or heart and potential, you belong here.

I do not know his grades, and I am sorry that might be a big caveat, but I don't know.

3 hours ago, Waldo said:

For every one of these kids that pan out, there are 4 or 5 that cant hang. 
Burrow was a miss by the last regime and he was a 4 star out of HS, not even in the same argument as Mr. Harsh. 

Burrow used purely as an example that we dont always know the whole story with a kid.  Never compared athletically to Harsh.

6 hours ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

I disagree with giving a HS kicker a scholarship.  Its more about numbers and positions of need.  Remember we only  have 85 scholarships, not the 105 TO had.

Isn't it a myth that TO had 105 scholarships? They started reducing scholarships in like the late 70s early 80s and have been at 85 since the early 90s.

• Fire 1