Sabastian Harsh

5 minutes ago, HS_Coach_C said:

So you never answered. Are you his coach or his dad?

Neither.  I am the guy who was miffed that NU let one of their best prep athletes just walk.  But I should not be surprised.  

BTW would you be willing to give me a penny a day up until the next time we see a high school kid come into Memorial and punt the ball 82 yds?

(Under duress, in his own end zone)

I mean if he just some JUCO level kid, that wouldn't be very long right?

19 minutes ago, dvdcrr said:

Neither.  I am the guy who was miffed that NU let one of their best prep athletes just walk.  But I should not be surprised.  

BTW would you be willing to give me a penny a day up until the next time we see a high school kid come into Memorial and punt the ball 82 yds?

Yes. I will give you a penny a day until a kid boots a punt like that. 

Worst case, I owe you $200 before I die? Have you heard of the time value of money? You're asking for a dollar!!! 

Deal made. Book it. 

• Haha 1
14 minutes ago, dvdcrr said:

It's one punt...

But even if I did, $3.65/year? I think I could swing $250 in about 70 years. Look me up when it happens and you can collect.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, dvdcrr said:

Oooh thats Harsh!

His coach said the kid could have thrown for 2000 yds but they don't run that kind of offense. Coach's words, not mine.  It reminds me of when the NP coach told folks Woodhead was the best back he had coached in 25 years.  And folks scoffed.

Are we saying that we don't want to develop excellent in-state players?  BC that is what he was.  By all measures. As good as any walk on we have.  Have you heard of the self-fulfilling prophecy and the value of expectation?  

Or do you just want everything handed to you on a silver platter?

What do you expect his coach to say?  "He sucks as a passer so we run it all the time?"

He was 2-11 for 22 yards in the state championship game when they needed it the most.  I'll take what actually happens on the field over whatever sunshine the coach wants to pump.

Also, when you have to resort to putting a bunch of words in other people's mouths, it probably means your argument isn't very strong.

1 hour ago, dvdcrr said:

I respect this take.  My thesis here is though as NU you take these Nebraska kids who are the beasts and you develop them.  You dont let them boom or bust elsewhere.

I dont know if others would have offered him but I would have offered him something.  And the message to the kids of the rest of the state is this.  You come into Memorial stadium and show that kind or heart and potential, you belong here.

I do not know his grades, and I am sorry that might be a big caveat, but I don't know.

We did offer him something.  He had a walk-on offer here.  He chose Wyoming (cue the "well, they didn't *really* want him argument).

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, dvdcrr said:

Well it is just that as a program if you have pure apathy for a Nebraska kid like that, and I am telling you, watch his games, then you deserve to be 5-6.  It is Callahanesque.  Bugs the sh#@ out of me.  

And I said before, the whole kick thing, no I am not saying he is a kicker I am saying that was an athletic act few can duplicate.  Do we value Jim Thorpe just for throwing percentage or ypg? Hell no, it was because he could by gawd do it all.  Pure athlete.  

This kid from Scottsbluff damn near won the Class B title on his own damn determination, period.  

All I am saying is a smart staff sends a message to the states prep players about what they value if they give that kid a hat with a red N on it.  Hard work, athleticism, wanting to lay it all out there on THAT field. 

Now, Mav points out I dont know the particulars and this is true.  

But I would have been on that field with a black ink pen and a piece of paper for that kid. 

If he gives the effort at Laramie he gave in Memorial stadium, he will be fine.  Frankly he left more on the field there in 8 quarters than about 60% of the current NU roster.

I think you disrespect the other kids on the team. He’s a good athlete. But, a good football team is not just one. 

@dvdcrr

i knew a kid about five years ago who’s dad played college football. He was a key player in his team going undefeated in football and winning the state championship. He was a state wrestling champ. He ran the hurdles helping his team win state track. I had a ref tell me he had never seen a kid hit so hard.  This kid was a stud.  

he walked on at Nebraska and didn’t sniff the three deep. 

what I’m saying is, just because a kid looks great in HS, doesn’t mean he’s perfect for Nebraska. 

Understand that we now have a staff that respects Nebraska talent. They will make a mistake here and there. But, I’m confident they will bring in the vast majority of guys that deserve a chance. 

PS....the kid had an offer from Wyoming. 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I think you disrespect the other kids on the team. He’s a good athlete. But, a good football team is not just one. 

I am sorry did you watch the class B finals this year?  I am just curious.

Because no disrespect, but without Harsh Scottsbluff loses by 3 scores easily.

This was a miss by NU, and a disconcerting one.  They should have taken this kid in and developed him. 6'2 230.  That could easily be 250 in a couple years at linebacker, wildcat QB etc.  He also has a quick release.  Took a western school to the finals twice, you don't know how hard that is. 

That kid who didn't sniff the three deep, was he 6'2 230 out of high school? 

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

What do you expect his coach to say?  "He sucks as a passer so we run it all the time?"

He was 2-11 for 22 yards in the state championship game when they needed it the most.  I'll take what actually happens on the field over whatever sunshine the coach wants to pump.

Also, when you have to resort to putting a bunch of words in other people's mouths, it probably means your argument isn't very strong.

We did offer him something.  He had a walk-on offer here.  He chose Wyoming (cue the "well, they didn't *really* want him argument).

Well I think Craig Bohl showed the kid he cared more... and that is what I am talking about, no one at NU really tried there. 

55 minutes ago, HS_Coach_C said:

FYI: here are his career punting stats according to max preps. Great athlete, probably a great kid, and I wish him well, but I don't blame the staff one bit. Good luck at Wyoming.

Screenshot_20200127-205719.png

Right......

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/nebraska-high-schooler-uncorks-79-yard-punt-in-state-championship-game/amp/

Listen, you guys really know your stuff, seriously no disrespect,

This was a miss in my view I hope NU doesn't let too many good ones like this get away.  

Just now, HS_Coach_C said:

I've seen the video. I was just providing stats that are put in by the Scottsbluff coaches themselves.

Again, it was one punt...

Tress Way only averaged 48.  And that is with NFL level coverage.  

It wasn't one punt....it was one helluva punt.

3 hours ago, dvdcrr said:

You clearly have some personal connection to the kid, the HS or something because you are way too up in arms about this.. You keep bringing up the state title and Harsh carrying the team. That’s great! He’s a big kid that plays tough. With his size he has the ability to use that to his advantage in Nebraska class B which explains the solid running numbers. He is not a QB especially at the college level, I don’t care what his coaches say. He didn’t do anything overly impressive on the defensive side of the ball either. He has fight and size and moderate athleticism. (Just because he had a monster punt doesn’t make him a freak athlete) 

I hope he does well at Wyoming. I hope he proves me and all the others wrong. Maybe he’s a late bloomer. Maybe we can just let this topic die because he’s not coming to Nebraska (by his choice), not some Danny Woodhead (true miss) and he is NOT the next Jim Thorpe....

PS - you can be mad at past staffs for their walk on and recruitment of Nebraska but you’re f#&%ing off your rocker if you think Frost and this staff aren’t doing an incredible job at working the state for scholly and walk on kids.

Thanks for the entertainment, back to our regularly scheduled recruiting program...

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, Throw Dem Bones said:

You clearly have some personal connection to the kid, the HS or something because you are way too up in arms about this.. You keep bringing up the state title and Harsh carrying the team. That’s great! He’s a big kid that plays tough. With his size he has the ability to use that to his advantage in Nebraska class B which explains the solid running numbers. He is not a QB especially at the college level, I don’t care what his coaches say. He didn’t do anything overly impressive on the defensive side of the ball either. He has fight and size and moderate athleticism. (Just because he had a monster punt doesn’t make him a freak athlete) 

I hope he does well at Wyoming. I hope he proves me and all the others wrong. Maybe he’s a late bloomer. Maybe we can just let this topic die because he’s not coming to Nebraska (by his choice), not some Danny Woodhead (true miss) and he is NOT the next Jim Thorpe....

PS - you can be mad at past staffs for their walk on and recruitment of Nebraska but you’re f#&%ing off your rocker if you think Frost and this staff aren’t doing an incredible job at working the state for scholly and walk on kids.

Thanks for the entertainment, back to our regularly scheduled recruiting program...

I do not have any connection to this kid other than just the fact that we watched him in the Class B final and he is a hell of an athlete.  So for the fourth time, what miffed me was Nebraska should especially be targeting good in state kids like him.  I don't think anyone reached out like Craig Bohl did to this kid.  When you are a lets face it struggling program like Nebraska is now, if you are bleeding even a few good kids from your own state it is too many.

The apathy wreaks of incompetence frankly.  That kid showed everything you want on the field there in Memorial and they let him walk.  I just dont understand it.  It doesn't bode well for these coaches and sends a bad message.  

Clearly the kid is a beast athlete.  6'2 230 lbs, accounted for all his teams scores against Skutt, coming out of western Nebraska.  Multiple highlight reel runs, decent passer. I don't know his grades, could be good, could be bad, I just know what I saw on the field, the kid can definitely play.  Nebraska needs to build these in-state kids.  The difference between a kid that can do it and one that doesn't is often times the expectation level of his coach.

And he showed it there, on that field.

Dont get me wrong, I am not sitting here mad, take a chill, just dismayed.

this is just entertainment for me.  Now if a piece of my peanut butter granola bar broke off and fell in the trash....then I would be pissed.