The 7 ways CFB dynasties end

Dynasty Mode: The 7 ways CFB dynasties end

4. Your opponents might’ve passed a rule specially designed to undermine you.

Nebraska from 1993-97

Between the ‘70s and ‘90s, Bob Devaney and Tom Osborne used a few key things to win more consistently than anyone else:

The Huskers had loaded up on players who met minimal academic thresholds. They did so under the NCAA’s Prop 48, which let partial and non-qualifiers sit out their freshman years, study up, and then play.

After the 1996 season, the recently formed Big 12 began limiting Prop 48 players to no more than one per football team. The bloc of schools that had come to the league from the Southwest Conference had pushed to curb Prop 48 admission, because they already had their own rules against it. This pissed Osborne the hell off, and it arguably set the stage for Nebraska’s move to the Big Ten.

Other factors caught up, too. The rest closed the gap in facilities. For a while, the program tried a pro-style offense, despite not being in a great footprint for those QBs. Conferences also began limiting roster sizes. When the Big Ten upped its travel roster size from 70 to 74 in 2018, it was news in Lincoln.

• Plus1 2

59 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I never understood why partial qualifiers can’t come to school, study and get qualified before participating in a sport. 

Because every other state that has a high football profile has a JUCO football program in it that serves the same purpose. Nebraska doesn't so that is how the rest of the big 12 "punished" Nebraska.

38 minutes ago, huKSer said:

Because every other state that has a high football profile has a JUCO football program in it that serves the same purpose. Nebraska doesn't so that is how the rest of the big 12 "punished" Nebraska.

Every other state? I am trying to think of a JUCO program in Ohio. 

1 hour ago, huKSer said:

Even if we had a JUCO in Nebraska. We would want them in our program, strength training, conditioning, learning the playbook etc instead of wasting time at a JUCO. It would be a huge asset to have them in the program for a full year. It would basically be like redshirting a kid.

The article sort of touches on this with #7 ("Goliaths might emerge elsewhere), but specifically I think that increased parity in college football in general is overlooked by Husker Nation because it started to happen right after Osborne retired and as Solich ran out of Osborne's steam.

I think the Big 10 network is a great example of what has caused parity. I'll take Indiana as an example: In the 2000s, they were the same dumpster fire football program that they were 30 years ago where I believe they only had one winning season. They're a basketball school in a basketball state. And now? Now they routinely post good seasons.

Why is this? I'd guess that it's because they now have the extra funds that the B1G network provides them to spend on upgraded facilities, etc., that keep recruits from going to Purdue or elsewhere.

In summary, there are now way fewer "gimme" wins on the schedule for everybody.

2 hours ago, Undone said:

The article sort of touches on this with #7 ("Goliaths might emerge elsewhere), but specifically I think that increased parity in college football in general is overlooked by Husker Nation because it started to happen right after Osborne retired and as Solich ran out of Osborne's steam.

I think the Big 10 network is a great example of what has caused parity. I'll take Indiana as an example: In the 2000s, they were the same dumpster fire football program that they were 30 years ago where I believe they only had one winning season. They're a basketball school in a basketball state. And now? Now they routinely post good seasons.

Why is this? I'd guess that it's because they now have the extra funds that the B1G network provides them to spend on upgraded facilities, etc., that keep recruits from going to Purdue or elsewhere.

In summary, there are now way fewer "gimme" wins on the schedule for everybody.

Why dont we just move to the ACC. Clemson is the only good program right now. Increases our recruiting presence in the south and we have like 1 tough game every year. Boom. Back to prominence in no time.

9 hours ago, NUance said:

GREAT article!  Lots of good football stories.  

Glad to see someone else think this...I kept getting sucked in to so many offshoots, Thought I was losing my edge..

8 hours ago, Hilltop said:

Easy to forget about points but very important to our downfall.  TO really picked a great time to hang up his hat.

Yeah..I've been trying to temper my expectations to fit reality..It just didn't seem to make sense how a state with less than 2 Million people could produce MNCs like we had over the years..Especially in a sport with so many participants on the field at any given time.. (You'd think a sport like Basketball or Volleyball, would be easier to crack the top more often)..

Trying to think of what the next ''big thing'' we could stumble on, to give us another competitive edge...Maybe something related to CTE study?

• Plus1 1