Expectations for 2020

Expectations for 2020  

83 members have voted

1. 1. What are your expectations for 202 with the last two recruiting cycles

• 9 wins or better or bust
    • 8 wins but should be better with the classes we’ve pulled
    • 6 wins best temper expectations even with the classes we’ve pulled the last two cycles
    • 7 wins as middle ground

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/01/2020 at 04:00 AM

There are so many things that factor into a winning/losing season.  Most of them will have to be on the plus side for us to do well and there is little room for error.  Last year in 4 games we were one good offensive, defensive or special teams series away from a win that ended up as a loss. Win those 4 games and our outlook is completely different with a 9-3 record and a nice bowl game.  

On offense:

1. Our young WR and RB will have to step up and learn quickly.  Omar Manning will have to be the "MAN" and be the big receiver we have needed plus 3 or 4 of the speedy 19 and 20 class will have to stretch the field.  

2. Either Adrian M will have to get healthy in body and mind or McCaffrey will be the QB to move this offense effectively.  

3. The O line will have to continue to improve in both pass and run blocking.   

On defense:

1. The young D line and LB will have to mature quickly. They will be thrown into the fire by the third game.  Chin and the coaches better teach hard and fast this summer.  Hopefully we have DB's ready to step up and be players in the BIG 10.

Special teams:

1. Who knows!!  I hope the kid from WICC can be the kicker we didn't have last year. Kickoffs need to go in the end zone regularly and long field goals need to be a real option.  Coverage needs to be drastically upgraded and maybe with a few better athletes they will be.

I hope we aren't 5-7 again. I don't see us higher than 7-5 unless they catch fire.  

• Plus1 3

I know I am optimistic that being in year 3 we could see the program turn the corner at any point and I wont be surprised to see us trend up quickly. BUT I am also more cautious after the last 2 years to avoid such a big let down of how we looked. I think many fans are as well- which might be a good thing in case it takes another year or 2 to get us back to where we want to be to avoid too much negativity around the program. The losses are enough as it is- I dont think the program needs added negativity to make it even harder to recruit. Stay positive and if we as fans can keep pumping sunshine of better days maybe that helps recruit.

• Plus1 3

Stay positive, next year we will be better right?  Stay positive, as our schedule is more favorable next year right?  Stay positive, Scotty played for Nebraska.  Stay positive, our recruiting classes have more stars next to guys' names than before.  Stay positive.......

Much of that all is quite sad.  Worrying about our schedule??? How un-Nebraska is that?  Until we go out there with the attitude that every game is ours to win (Wiscy comes to mind in our division) we are going to be and stay lil brother to the men in the B1G.  We are a LONG ways off.  6 wins this year and a toilet bowl would be a huge step forward.  People need to realize the train we are trying to catch left a long time ago.  We may/may not ever get back to it.

• Plus1 1

You said this:

1 hour ago, 10_point_buck said:

Worrying about our schedule??? How un-Nebraska is that?

...but then you said this:

1 hour ago, 10_point_buck said:

People need to realize the train we are trying to catch left a long time ago.  We may/may not ever get back to it.

Seems like a contradiction. Your first statement makes it sound like you're still stuck in 1997 yourself. 

• Plus1 6

I see the first bits of preseason hopium sneaking into this thread and I expect it'll ramp up with each passing month, every Twitter post of guys working out, and reach a fever pitch once fall camp practice videos come out.

In my opinion this whole thing is a 4-5 year fix. The real payout starts in 2021 when our offensive linemen we've recruited are physically and mentally ready. By 2021 we should also be fully stocked at LB to handle the 3-4 scheme that Chinander wants to play.

I don't feel any impatience right now at all. In fact I feel even better after seeing Frost let go of a couple coaches.

• Plus1 6

1 hour ago, Undone said:

You said this:

...but then you said this:

Seems like a contradiction. Your first statement makes it sound like you're still stuck in 1997 yourself. 

The train I was referring to was the rest of college football.  That is about all I can say or I'll get more warning points:lol:

2 hours ago, Undone said:

I see the first bits of preseason hopium sneaking into this thread and I expect it'll ramp up with each passing month, every Twitter post of guys working out, and reach a fever pitch once fall camp practice videos come out.

In my opinion this whole thing is a 4-5 year fix. The real payout starts in 2021 when our offensive linemen we've recruited are physically and mentally ready. By 2021 we should also be fully stocked at LB to handle the 3-4 scheme that Chinander wants to play.

I don't feel any impatience right now at all. In fact I feel even better after seeing Frost let go of a couple coaches.

This is how i feel.  But I worry that may just be the hopium kicking in early.  By August I will have completely written off last year's underwhelming improvement, onto Walters.  I think it would take the pressure off of this team, if our fanbase had low expectations like we finally have right now.  But i feel like between now and August, somehow, someway, our fans will be predicting 9 or 10 wins.  Including me.

• Haha 2

Bowl game and 7 wins, that's the bar in year 3.  It has to be.  Even if it means deviating from the playbook, letting Mccaffery run down the field for a couple of series, and doing WHATEVER it takes to win close games.

I'm all about trusting the process, but a losing record isn't acceptable in year 3, regardless of the schedule.

• Plus1 5
  • 1 month later...

NEBRASKA HUSKERS
Big Ten wins projection: 5

The word: I've swung and missed at trying to project Nebraska's past two seasons under Scott Frost, whose ride thus far in Lincoln hasn't been as whimsical as a few of us expected. Bud hovers around five wins during Big Ten play for the Huskers and I could see that. It would put Nebraska with seven or eight victories for the season given the toss-up game with Cincinnati, which puts the Huskers at the total wins number oddsmakers will likely give them later this year. The final five weeks of the season for Frost's team is brutal, including matchups as underdogs with Ohio State, Penn State and Wisconsin.

247 projects in-conference wins for B1G teams

• Plus1 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/4/2020 at 9:58 PM, Mavric said:

Five B10 wins is pretty optimistic, IMHO.  Doable, but optimistic. 

Here are the teams we play in (my estimated) ascending order of strength:  

Rutgers (road)

Illinois (home)  
Purdue (home)

Northwestern (road)

Minnesota (home) 

Iowa (road)

Wisconsin (road)

Penn State (home)

Ohio State (road)  

54 minutes ago, NUance said:

Five B10 wins is pretty optimistic, IMHO.  Doable, but optimistic. 

Here are the teams we play in (my estimated) ascending order of strength:  

Rutgers (road)

Illinois (home)  
Purdue (home)

Northwestern (road)

Minnesota (home) 

Iowa (road)

Wisconsin (road)

Penn State (home)

Ohio State (road)  

If we are a good team I see 7 wins there.. If we are not a good team then it really doesn't matter.

• Plus1 1