B1G to Propose One-Time, No Sit Transfer

Mavric

• Mavric changed the title to B1G to Propose One-Time, No Sit Transfer
9 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

While I agree that players should more freedom on where they play and the transfer rules, I do struggle with guys who are on "lesser teams" and fell through the cracks during high school recruiting, being re-recruited by top teams after 1 or 2 strong years.

This.  Commitment should mean something.......Or as mentioned above, "recruited" to fill a gap....."back fill" a schollie etc...

I dunno.  I hate the thought of us possibly losing good players.  But it seems like it would be good for guys who are riding the pine with no chance to play.  They could at least see the field somewhere else.  I think it'd be good for players. 

That, and I just don't see this new transfer policy putting Frost and Co at a disadvantage.  They seem about as good as any staff at pulling in talent--both in recruiting and in transfers.   

I wonder if big schools would ever use this rule to set up a kind of informal farm system. Say ohio state likes a recruit but just cant fit him into their recruiting class so they send him to a school that the coaching staff has connections with where he can develop and play. Then if he develops into an all conference type of player he can transfer to ohio state without losing any eligibility.

• Plus1 3
53 minutes ago, Red Five said:

The "sit out a year" transfer rule is only applicable to 5 NCAA sports:  football, men's b-ball, women's b-ball, men's hockey, and baseball.  All other NCAA sports allow a free transfer.  And all those other sports still exist just fine.

Football and basketball would not work fine.  How is a "lesser" school supposed to have a chance, when even if they develop or find diamonds in the rough, those guys get poached by a championship contender because they want to play for a championship.  Ex: Steph Curry at Davidson, Duke says hey u can come here now.  Most guys would probably jump at that.  Or say Lamar Jackson got asked by Ohio State...he leaves cause he may as well play for a championship instead of hoping for a bowl.  Bye bye parity.  Whoever is on top now would likely stay on top forever.  I dont like it at all.  If they really want to transfer they can sit a year.  Im fine with players being paid, but im not fine with this free transfer market.  

• Plus1 3

I don't see how this would be a bad thing for Nebraska.  "Hey! Small town Nebraska kid that hit it big at Wyoming, we would like to offer you a scholarship.  You can help us this year.  By the way, our marketing people are in the works for an Adidas commercial..."

Nebraska is down, but they are still a national brand when it comes to collegiate teams.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
31 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I don't see how this would be a bad thing for Nebraska.  "Hey! Small town Nebraska kid that hit it big at Wyoming, we would like to offer you a scholarship.  You can help us this year.  By the way, our marketing people are in the works for an Adidas commercial..."

Nebraska is down, but they are still a national brand when it comes to collegiate teams.

It would be better for us than a Purdue or even a Minnesota or maybe even an Iowa.  But not as good for us as an Alabama or Ohio State.  We would get some solid kids, but we would lose many of our best players to those above us like Clemson, Bama, OSU, etc.  It would just amplify where everyone stands.  We wouldn't be able to compete for a championship.  And Illinois and Purdue wouldn't be able to compete with us, nomatter who the coach.

4 hours ago, LumberJackSker said:

I wonder if big schools would ever use this rule to set up a kind of informal farm system. Say ohio state likes a recruit but just cant fit him into their recruiting class so they send him to a school that the coaching staff has connections with where he can develop and play. Then if he develops into an all conference type of player he can transfer to ohio state without losing any eligibility.

"Hey Frank, we've got this guy we think has potential but we're not completely sold on. Mind taking him in at Ohio to help us see what he's got?"