B1G to Propose One-Time, No Sit Transfer

Mavric

5 hours ago, HUSKER 37 said:

Although I like the idea of trying to help student/athletes, Making the transfer portal even more of a thing makes me wonder if I will still prefer college ball over the NFL.

Agree.  If this happens the effect of it, combined with the paying of college athletes (which that part, i am fine with)., will make the NFL liked for the reasons college ball is at the moment.  I bet you the NFL wants this.......cause it will take the main reason people prefer college sports, and turn it on it's head.  There will be no reason to prefer college sports.....which will profit the NFL and NBA even more.  Anyone who can't see this is playing the fool.

• Haha 1

If the biggest concern is that a kid that wasn't that good...becomes really good because of hard work, dedication, great attitude and good coaching...and then that kid should not be allowed to look at other options and maybe (not for sure, but maybe) transfer to a "better" school...

well...that is sort of a non-argument in my book.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1

IMO, the only way this hurts Nebraska is distance. If a player from Florida or California comes here and plays well early on, they may be more willing to return home to play at one of the P5 schools that maybe didn’t offer them.

Like stated already, this hurts schools like Purdue  and Indiana more than it would Nebraska. 

My initial gut reaction was against this, but after thinking about it, I'm all for it. The sit out rule currently only applies to 5 sports. How does the NCAA justify that? We don't limit students on academic scholarship from transferring, so why are we limiting 5 sports only? The 1 transfer rule makes sense. 

Also as a Husker fan, this is huge! Sure we will lose guys, but pair this with players' profiting off their name and likeness. If you're a 2 year stand out in the MAC, are you not going to be enticed coming to a place like Nebraska? Hell even the lower tier P5 schools are at a disadvantage to programs with fans that spend money. This is a major win for the Blue Bloods.

On the other hand, if you're a junior on the 3 deep at a P5, you can look to the portal for playing time elsewhere with no limits. It might help the competitive balance to some degree.

• Plus1 2
15 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

While I agree that players should more freedom on where they play and the transfer rules, I do struggle with guys who are on "lesser teams" and fell through the cracks during high school recruiting, being re-recruited by top teams after 1 or 2 strong years.

Totally against it for this reason. The NCAA has worked to get more equal competition and thats hood for the game. To put rules in that allows poaching of lesser programs is bad. 

Now, I could see something like this maybe working if there was some type of playing time rule worked in. So, a kid that’s starting for Kansas couldn’t transfer without sitting, but the kid riding the pine could. But, I’m still against it. 

7 hours ago, BigPeterJ said:

Agree.  If this happens the effect of it, combined with the paying of college athletes (which that part, i am fine with)., will make the NFL liked for the reasons college ball is at the moment.  I bet you the NFL wants this.......cause it will take the main reason people prefer college sports, and turn it on it's head.  There will be no reason to prefer college sports.....which will profit the NFL and NBA even more.  Anyone who can't see this is playing the fool.

These changes are turning CFB into a semi professional sport with easily exploited rules.  The NFL is more honest- paid to play.  If you're going to watch a professional sport you might as well watch the best.  NFL > CFB. 

A player on a top tier team who isn't on the 2 deep and sees he'll never get there will most likely transfer.  This will free up a scholarship for a good player on another team to transfer in that wants to contend for a championship.  Top talent will congregate even more in the top teams.

• Fire 2

What happens if several players “defect” from a team essentially at the same time? 

JoJo, Honas, Robinson, and Daniels are all sitting around their apartment and realize they’ll never win what they want at Nebraska and one by one decide to go elsewhere? All in one offseason. 

I think this is stupid and dangerous. I’d maybe be in Yea category if say, you’re a Jr/Sr and haven’t started more than say 5 games or some kind of rule for guys who aren’t playing. 

• Plus1 1
40 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

These changes are turning CFB into a semi professional sport with easily exploited rules.  The NFL is more honest- paid to play.  If you're going to watch a professional sport you might as well watch the best.  NFL > CFB. 

A player on a top tier team who isn't on the 2 deep and sees he'll never get there will most likely transfer.  This will free up a scholarship for a good player on another team to transfer in that wants to contend for a championship.  Top talent will congregate even more in the top teams.

Agree.  First of all, this shouldn't be about wether it helps Nebraska or not, like many people are making it.  Either way its bad for the game, and if Nebraska happened to win a championship by being the best at poaching recruits or by paying them more....i wouldn't even value that trophy.  

Secondly, Husker fans who are seeing the benefits to Nebraska, probably wont like it so much when they see Ohio State and Alabama poach our next Lavonte David, Suh, Ameer Abdullah, our star QB who Clemson now says they want etc.  All of a sudden we are out a QB and recruiting season is over.  Our only option now is to poach someone else QB.  Revolving door.

• Thanks 3
  • Fire 1

A good example of it not being that big of a deal is looking at our volleyball team.  The way some of you are talking, you would think that we are taking the best players from lower schools every year because we are a power program.  @knapplc can correct me if I am wrong, but I only remember us getting a couple high profile transfers in over the last handful of years (Sun from Texas and Cook from UCLA, both coming from power programs).

• Plus1 1
10 hours ago, 4skers89 said:

I have some news for you: CFB has been a semi-professional sport for many years.  It’s just that the universities/coaches are making the money instead of the players.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1
15 minutes ago, Red Five said:

A good example of it not being that big of a deal is looking at our volleyball team.  The way some of you are talking, you would think that we are taking the best players from lower schools every year because we are a power program.  @knapplc can correct me if I am wrong, but I only remember us getting a couple high profile transfers in over the last handful of years (Sun from Texas and Cook from UCLA, both coming from power programs).

Volleyball is different.  For 1, we dont need to poach others very often cause we recruit the best straight from the beginning..  In football you have a much larger roster , so their is more reason to take a transfer.  If Nebraska had no players good enough to make an Alabama or OSU starting lineup then it wouldn't happen.  But when we do,  are stars would possibly be poached by someone. Last year we wouldn't have much worry, but what would keep LJax from going to OSU?  And when we do get good players aka Sue or Lavonte David, they would be approached by at least a few top schools...and likely half of them will transfer.  My point is College football/basketball are a different animal than Volleyball.