B1G to Propose One-Time, No Sit Transfer

Mavric

On 1/31/2020 at 5:39 PM, NUance said:

I dunno.  I hate the thought of us possibly losing good players.  But it seems like it would be good for guys who are riding the pine with no chance to play.  They could at least see the field somewhere else.  I think it'd be good for players. 

That, and I just don't see this new transfer policy putting Frost and Co at a disadvantage.  They seem about as good as any staff at pulling in talent--both in recruiting and in transfers.   

So that way - when they transfer they can go make someone else "ride the pine"

It's like the idiot parent who starts going after the coach about playing time - well the moment the coach starts engaging about it, he starts talking about someone else's kid's playing time. 

This is a dumb thing to propose and hopefully it gets shot down. Unbelievable. This will hurt Nebraska more than it will help.

• Plus1 1

5 hours ago, Scratchtown said:

So that way - when they transfer they can go make someone else "ride the pine"

It's like the idiot parent who starts going after the coach about playing time - well the moment the coach starts engaging about it, he starts talking about someone else's kid's playing time. 

This is a dumb thing to propose and hopefully it gets shot down. Unbelievable. This will hurt Nebraska more than it will help.

So it would be better for the kid riding the pine to stay put to avoid taking the starting job of some kid at another school?   Damn that Joe Burrow for taking some poor LSU QB's job away.  Damn him to hell!

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, NUance said:

So it would be better for the kid riding the pine to stay put to avoid taking the starting job of some kid at another school?   Damn that Joe Burrow for taking some poor LSU QB's job away.  Damn him to hell!

That was good for Joe Burrow, yes.  (and btw, he was a grad transfer which is okay by me.  He honored his scholarship, as did OSU.)

But was it good for OSU's QB depth?  No.

Coaches aren't just recruiting a starting 22.  They are recruiting depth which helps in injuries and adds to the quality of practice.  Making it easier for a sophomore, who will start as a junior and senior, to transfer is not good for a teams depth.  As a coach, I wouldn't only hate it for my depth disappearing, but now I also have to recruit college kids on top of high school kids.  

There is definitely room to allow transfers (coaching changes, family emergencies, academic changes) that could be added and be completely rational. But I can't get on board with giving everyone a mulligan to be used without some sort of deterrent.

7 hours ago, NUance said:

I'm saying that you proposed it at the betterment of one player but that also detriments another. So it comes to be moot anyway. Funny how you are defending yourself rather than just turn the light bulb on and realize this is a stupid possibility. It's going to hurt Nebraska more than help - but I guess if we can benefit 1 kid then lets do it. 

• 3 weeks later...

• 9 months later...

15 minutes ago, hunter49 said:

this whole transfer portal gig sucks. some guys making multiple moves, it is just stupid and it makes recruiting a joke.

also makes coaches job a lot harder, kids might as well have an agent in college now.

Agree.  I'm totally against this.  The transfer portal has been horrible for most players that go into it and this is just going to make it even worse.  This is all being done in the name of "being fair to the players".  But, in reality, it's been bad for most.

I think this rule is the "right thing to do", it will just take time for kids to figure out how to best use this rule to help themselves.  Unfortunately, a lot of the kids who are going through this process now are going through some troubles because they are thinking the grass is always greener on the other side.

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I think this rule is the "right thing to do", it will just take time for kids to figure out how to best use this rule to help themselves.  Unfortunately, a lot of the kids who are going through this process now are going through some troubles because they are thinking the grass is always greener on the other side.

I would agree with this if kids would go through it, learn and so they won't do it again.  But, in college, it's a 4-5 year stint.  Kids come in thinking they are the greatest ever, don't get the playing time they think they should, go into the transfer portal thinking they get to do it once without sitting out.....don't even up somewhere better and they are done.  It's not like they learn and go back and do it over again.

18-20 year old kids have a problem learning from mistakes that older people have made.

They also look at basketball players that constantly transfer and think it's that easy in football.  Football is a totally different beast.  In basketball, it's much easier for a player to come into a team and make an immediate impact.  In football, it's much more of a system based sport where the player needs time to acclimate. 

14 minutes ago, Lightfighter214 said:

Unless the university's, coaches, fans, etc start acting properly to these kids, the kids should get as much freedom as possible.

Giving these kids more freedom and movement will ensure they get treated properly when there are a lot of examples of them not being treated properly. 

Like what?

• Plus1 2