B1G to Propose One-Time, No Sit Transfer

Mavric

10 minutes ago, Lightfighter214 said:

Coaches that recruited them leaving early.

Coaches essentially forcing players to leave.

Penn state, Michigan state scandals.

Players being lied to in the recruiting process.

Players being attacked on social media.

Head bb coach at creighton.

Pulling committed scholarship offers (when a better player commits)

Signing more players then can be accepted in a class.

Maryland scandal 

Iowa scandal 

Morehead state in 2016?

Head coach hitting a player (jim levitt)

Thats just off the top of my head, but there has been tons of shady things happening to student athletes over the years.

Majority of those are not systemic issues and don’t believe are a part of this issue. 

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I would agree with this if kids would go through it, learn and so they won't do it again.  But, in college, it's a 4-5 year stint.  Kids come in thinking they are the greatest ever, don't get the playing time they think they should, go into the transfer portal thinking they get to do it once without sitting out.....don't even up somewhere better and they are done.  It's not like they learn and go back and do it over again.

18-20 year old kids have a problem learning from mistakes that older people have made.

They also look at basketball players that constantly transfer and think it's that easy in football.  Football is a totally different beast.  In basketball, it's much easier for a player to come into a team and make an immediate impact.  In football, it's much more of a system based sport where the player needs time to acclimate. 

I will always be in favor of giving more players more freedom and opportunity if that's what they want.  It's up to them to make the right decision. 

• Plus1 1
26 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I will always be in favor of giving more players more freedom and opportunity if that's what they want.  It's up to them to make the right decision. 

Making the right decision is not going to be easy. Are there people who can help without bias?  Maybe there's a new position in the making on the staff/admin to help student athletes with this, one that looks out for the student more than the school? 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, GamingGlen said:

Making the right decision is not going to be easy. Are there people who can help without bias?  Maybe there's a new position in the making on the staff/admin to help student athletes with this, one that looks out for the student more than the school? 

Unfortunately, if the new positions are working for the school, they are always going to have the team’s best interest and not the student-athlete. 

• Plus1 1

8 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Why should there be limits to where the kids can play?  Just because that's the way it's always been?  The limits on freedom aren't there to protect the players.  They are there to protect the schools and teams. 

Oh, I fully understand who the rules are put in place to protect.  And, I don't have a problem with that.  If the rules need to be tweaked, fine.

So, when Ameer played here and he realized he wasn't going to be on a championship team, OSU should be able to come in and get him to transfer mid season to help them win a championship.  In 2019 when we didn't have a kicker, we should have been able to go to a team like KU and steal theres in the middle of the season when ours all got injured.

If teams are able to do that, I might be done watching college football.  Or,  at least being as big of fan as I am of it now.

6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Oh, I fully understand who the rules are put in place to protect.  And, I don't have a problem with that.  If the rules need to be tweaked, fine.

So, when Ameer played here and he realized he wasn't going to be on a championship team, OSU should be able to come in and get him to transfer mid season to help them win a championship.  In 2019 when we didn't have a kicker, we should have been able to go to a team like KU and steal theres in the middle of the season when ours all got injured.

If teams are able to do that, I might be done watching college football.  Or,  at least being as big of fan as I am of it now.

Maybe I missed something, but I don't think this has anything to do with being able to transfer mid-season. You still have to be enrolled at the new school and that wouldn't happen mid-year. It's just instead of needing a waiver (or to have graduated) to be immediately eligible you get one for free. Any subsequent transfers would have the one-year sit out, presumably with the current waiver process. But OSU the school isn't going to accept a transfer in November when classes are 80% done for the semester.

7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Unless I have missed something, I haven't seen anything about transferring mid-season and being immediately eligible.  I have thought that this new rule waives the rule where the transfer has to sit out a season (and lose a year of eligibility if already used a redshirt).

2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Unless I have missed something, I haven't seen anything about transferring mid-season and being immediately eligible.  I have thought that this new rule waives the rule where the transfer has to sit out a season (and lose a year of eligibility if already used a redshirt).

That's why I asked you to what level of freedom are you OK with.  

Now, with this post makes me think you actually do have limits.

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

That's why I asked you to what level of freedom are you OK with.  

Now, with this post makes me think you actually do have limits.

I don't agree with players leaving a team mid-season and going to play for another team, but this type of eligibility has never been brought up.  I agree that players should be able to go from one team to another and be able to play right away (in the next season). 

10 hours ago, Lightfighter214 said:

Coaches that recruited them leaving early.

Coaches essentially forcing players to leave.

Penn state, Michigan state scandals.

Players being lied to in the recruiting process.

Players being attacked on social media.

Head bb coach at creighton.

Pulling committed scholarship offers (when a better player commits)

Signing more players then can be accepted in a class.

Maryland scandal 

Iowa scandal 

Morehead state in 2016?

Head coach hitting a player (jim levitt)

Thats just off the top of my head, but there has been tons of shady things happening to student athletes over the years.

Coaches essentially forcing players to leave., very common.

• Plus1 1
12 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I think this rule is the "right thing to do", it will just take time for kids to figure out how to best use this rule to help themselves.  Unfortunately, a lot of the kids who are going through this process now are going through some troubles because they are thinking the grass is always greener on the other side.

so true, many are worse off than before they transferred , they will learn.

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

welcome to Pandora's box.

• Plus1 1
On 3/9/2021 at 3:14 PM, ColoradoHusk said:

I don't agree with players leaving a team mid-season and going to play for another team, but this type of eligibility has never been brought up.  I agree that players should be able to go from one team to another and be able to play right away (in the next season). 

That's why I asked for clarification of your comment about as much freedom as they want.

I still disagree with you.