Scoring the Huskers: returning Running Backs

NUance

On 2/3/2020 at 7:14 PM, Toe said:

If Ozigbo's other three years had looked as good as the last 3/4 of his senior year, we'd be having a very different conversation.

Been reading through the old Ozigbo thread.  I just don't get all the hating on him from fans and coaches for the first three years as a Husker.  He was clearly our best back, certainly better than Wilbon, yet he received far fewer carries.  That was Riley.  Frost seemed pretty cool on him to start the 2018 season also.  Some players are game players and some are practice players.  I have to wonder if Devine was the former and perhaps a bit deficient in the latter.  His senior game performance spoke for itself.

• Plus1 1

22 minutes ago, Skeeball said:

I'd like to see him develop into an elusive yet hard to bring down back in the mold of Rex Burkhead.   At 5' 8" 185lbs, he needs to beef up a bit but his 4.5 40 speed is certainly respectable.

I think we would run a 4.7. No way he’s even close to a 4.5. 

2 hours ago, runningblind said:

Fellas. I know it's the offseason, but comparing Belt to Burkhead is peaking a bit too soon don't you think?

Ill admit I've actually never seen Brody Belt play as far as i can remember.  So I can't really choose a side to this, but if he is anything close to Rex, that would be a great walkon to have.

Edit: film does look good, but it could have just been a few plays.  Just he is so much smaller than Rex, with the same speed.  

1 hour ago, BigPeterJ said:

Ill admit I've actually never seen Brody Belt play as far as i can remember.  So I can't really choose a side to this, but if he is anything close to Rex, that would be a great walkon to have.

Edit: film does look good, but it could have just been a few plays.  Just he is so much smaller than Rex, with the same speed.  

Belt has played so little that I’ve seen so far but he is not shown me anything like Burkhead.  Rex tore up TX high school football and was a fine Husker RB.  Still a pro.  

Belt is not 4.5 but might be 4.6ish to my eye test.  Runs too straight up and not elusive or really powerful as a pusher (small).

23 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Why would you not believe a woman who said she's not pregnant with someone's baby......in an unfortunate situation where she shouldn't even have needed to do that about a personal situation?

It's a terrible situation that young kids have to be put in that situation, however Nebraska is a very sports oriented state and sometimes that comes with the territory.  The tweet didn't really go into depth and didn't really answer the situation completely which I agree shouldn't have been needed.  But there is a chance that the rumor wasn't so rumorish.

18 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Belt has played so little that I’ve seen so far but he is not shown me anything like Burkhead.  Rex tore up TX high school football and was a fine Husker RB.  Still a pro.  

Belt is not 4.5 but might be 4.6ish to my eye test.  Runs too straight up and not elusive or really powerful as a pusher (small).

I'm not arguing that he is in the "Burkhead" category.  Far from it, he gives up 2" and 30lbs (currently), but I'd like to see him take strides in that direction.  If he doesn't, he likely won't see the field much as a Husker.  Not going to argue the 40 speed as I've never timed him.  Only repeating what I've read.  Full pads slows some more than others.  I can see your 4.6ish assessment in full pads as legitimate.

20 hours ago, BigPeterJ said:

Brody didn't look too bad in the spring game, but then again Jaylen Bradley didn't look too bad either. As I recall, Brody looked better running in traffic.  Again I'm not saying he's anywhere near the category of Burkhead. Just that that's the style he'll need to emulate to see the field as a Husker.

24 minutes ago, Skeeball said:

Brody didn't look too bad in the spring game, but then again Jaylen Bradley didn't look too bad either. As I recall, Brody looked better running in traffic.  Again I'm not saying he's anywhere near the category of Burkhead. Just that that's the style he'll need to emulate to see the field as a Husker.

I understand,  Burkhead was just much stronger.  This kid may be able to be a solid backup, but i hope he isn't the best we got.  Reminds me of Mazour.  But maybe he could be a bit better than Mazour.

9 hours ago, BigPeterJ said:

I understand,  Burkhead was just much stronger.  This kid may be able to be a solid backup, but i hope he isn't the best we got.  Reminds me of Mazour.  But maybe he could be a bit better than Mazour.

And nothing against Mazour as the kid, but NU’s running game was significantly worse when Mazour played significant snaps. Mills was tearing up Wisconsin, but had to come out for breathers, the offense stagnated when Mazour was at RB. The best run Mazour had all year was his 10 yard TD against Iowa.  We don’t need guys like Belt and Mazour to play better, we need to recruit more talent like Mo Washington and Wandale Robinson and be able to keep them on the field. 

• Plus1 6
19 minutes ago, BigPeterJ said:

Was just about to say i actually feel Brody Belt is like a hybrid of Mo Washington and Ameer Abdullah.  And before you come at me with that Brody isn't Arabian stuff, Ameer was actually black despite his parents poor taste in religion.

Anyway, i dont think the OP who compared him to Rex did it cause he is white.  I think he really does, in a way, run like Rex, a very poor man's Rex, but nonetheless similar style.

Being a Muslim doesn’t automatically someone an “Arabian”.

Belt might be the furthest thing from Mo and Ameer, and if he is being counted on playing significant snaps, then NU is going to be in big trouble offensively. 

• Plus1 1