Scoring the Huskers: returning Running Backs

NUance

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I agree that getting another Rex would be great, but just because a RB is white, doesn’t make him Rex. 

Haha.  That's where I was going. Why does every white RB always get mentioned as the next Rex.  I'd take another Rex, LP, AA, Helu, Ahman, Kinney etc.....That was my point.  For the record, our current group very well could have the next "great NU back".  Just gotta go out and prove it.  IMHO, as Frost gets his guys and depth, I am unsure if we ever have that "typical NU" back in the future.  A lot of weapons to spread the ball around means less yards, but a lot more guys doing their thing.  

• Plus1 1

Being a Muslim doesn’t automatically someone an “Arabian”.

Belt might be the furthest thing from Mo and Ameer, and if he is being counted on playing significant snaps, then NU is going to be in big trouble offensively. 

No but Abdullah is Arabian.  Last names typically show your ancestry.  Apparently Abdullah means "servant of God" in Arabic.  So honorable, regardless of religion.

Ameer Abdullah is about a close to being Arabian as Shaq O’Neal is being Irish. 

Yea ...um...f it..idk where i was going with this ...was just a joke ..n now im in a hole.  Im sure i could dig myself out but was just playing on Brody Belt..the Millard West Assasin from either Arabia or kenya

4 hours ago, onlyHskrfaninIL said:

Belt moving to WR as we speak...along with half the defensive backs and a few soccer players

Makes as much sense as about anything we’ve seen or heard or even imagined lately.  lol

Frankly Hoiberg has plenty of roster management issues so perhaps so BB guys may want to try WR and QB and even TE.   Its all hands on deck time now. 

• 2 months later...
17 hours ago, Mavric said:

Obviously the offensive line has a lot to do with this as well.  But we tried to run inside quite a bit with limited success.  Much bigger chunks to the outside.  Which is why the speed guys have an edge.

It may seem counterintuitive, but in this offense I like the speed guys for the inside zone almost more. If a crease presents itself they can shoot through faster. Killins had alot of chunk runs right through the middle of defenses at UCF. Some of that is likely play design catching the D off guard, but speed helps exploit the advantage created by the play calling further. 

18 hours ago, Mavric said:

Obviously the offensive line has a lot to do with this as well.  But we tried to run inside quite a bit with limited success.  Much bigger chunks to the outside.  Which is why the speed guys have an edge.

This has a lot to do with how bad our WR were last year and lack of blocking on key screens.  Once we start taking advantage of that it will be much easier to run inside zone.  

27 minutes ago, swmohusker said:

This has a lot to do with how bad our WR were last year and lack of blocking on key screens.  Once we start taking advantage of that it will be much easier to run inside zone.  

That screen game is vital to moving LBs/Safeties out of the box. Pop a few screens for positive yardage and those guys start having eyes toward the perimeter, and it creates a more advantageous numbers situation in the box. Like you said, our receivers/TEs were atrocious blockers when screens were called. It also didn't help Martinez having his worst passing percentages on those type of throws.

The other part is that our OL was just flat bad at blocking Inside Zone, but it works off of the screen game and vice versa.

I also think how Wisconsin plays was tailor made for Mills to have the game he did. If they faced more team that could attack them that way, their defense wouldn't look as sterling as it always does imo. Chryst's post game sideline interview showed how relieved he was that the game was over, and it has stuck with me since.

• Fire 1
3 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

It may seem counterintuitive, but in this offense I like the speed guys for the inside zone almost more. If a crease presents itself they can shoot through faster. Killins had alot of chunk runs right through the middle of defenses at UCF. Some of that is likely play design catching the D off guard, but speed helps exploit the advantage created by the play calling further. 

Agree with this - as our linemen get more athletic these small creases will create speed gaps in the middle. Bring back some of those kst runs  by TM

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, swmohusker said:

WR need to get better and will - one of my only two knocks on AM is his consistency at throwing screen passes behind the receiver

If the ball is thrown correctly an average block can turn into a big play. When the receiver has to look back they can't read the block similar to how AM couldn't read plays during the bad snaps.

I prefer AM over TG but go back and watch the spring game and Tristan did a much better job at dropping swing/screen passes where his guys could make plays.  I feel this is what made TG so upset about not getting the job

2 hours ago, GBRFAN said:

WR need to get better and will - one of my only two knocks on AM is his consistency at throwing screen passes behind the receiver

If the ball is thrown correctly an average block can turn into a big play. When the receiver has to look back they can't read the block similar to how AM couldn't read plays during the bad snaps.

I prefer AM over TG but go back and watch the spring game and Tristan did a much better job at dropping swing/screen passes where his guys could make plays.  I feel this is what made TG so upset about not getting the job

AM can run which helps our run game as much or more than accuracy on screen passes.  TG would have died running this offense. That is probably why he left.  That and AM is much better.