Scoring the Huskers: returning Running Backs

NUance

4 hours ago, Treand3 said:

That screen game is vital to moving LBs/Safeties out of the box. Pop a few screens for positive yardage and those guys start having eyes toward the perimeter, and it creates a more advantageous numbers situation in the box. Like you said, our receivers/TEs were atrocious blockers when screens were called. It also didn't help Martinez having his worst passing percentages on those type of throws.

The other part is that our OL was just flat bad at blocking Inside Zone, but it works off of the screen game and vice versa.

I also think how Wisconsin plays was tailor made for Mills to have the game he did. If they faced more team that could attack them that way, their defense wouldn't look as sterling as it always does imo. Chryst's post game sideline interview showed how relieved he was that the game was over, and it has stuck with me since.

Yep.  Safety and apex players didn’t really have to respect our wr corps as receiving threats or blocking key screens.  Play heavy run and make us beat you another way.  Having a guy like manning outside and not having jack Stoll throw look out blocks on the perimeter should help this offense a lot. 

• Plus1 2

4 hours ago, Treand3 said:

That screen game is vital to moving LBs/Safeties out of the box. Pop a few screens for positive yardage and those guys start having eyes toward the perimeter, and it creates a more advantageous numbers situation in the box. Like you said, our receivers/TEs were atrocious blockers when screens were called. It also didn't help Martinez having his worst passing percentages on those type of throws.

The other part is that our OL was just flat bad at blocking Inside Zone, but it works off of the screen game and vice versa.

I also think how Wisconsin plays was tailor made for Mills to have the game he did. If they faced more team that could attack them that way, their defense wouldn't look as sterling as it always does imo. Chryst's post game sideline interview showed how relieved he was that the game was over, and it has stuck with me since.

I agree with wiscy having trouble with the outside zone/ qb power read action.  It ate them up.  I like how Austin is taking over some of the run game coordinating bc that stuff did not work against Iowa.  We had more success running at them. Having some familiarity with our personnel and system combined with understanding opponent strengths and weaknesses could serve us well this year.  

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, swmohusker said:

I agree with wiscy having trouble with the outside zone/ qb power read action.  It ate them up.  I like how Austin is taking over some of the run game coordinating bc that stuff did not work against Iowa.  We had more success running at them. Having some familiarity with our personnel and system combined with understanding opponent strengths and weaknesses could serve us well this year.  

Two different schemes, obviously. I personally think Iowa is better equipped to play spread teams defensively, and Wisconsin against straight ahead power teams.

Austin having more say in the offensive game planning will pay nice dividends imo.

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, swmohusker said:

AM can run which helps our run game as much or more than accuracy on screen passes.  TG would have died running this offense. That is probably why he left.  That and AM is much better.  

I agree 100%

As stated above AM is my pick over TG - you just dont have to look far for an example of the proper tech for a sideways pass....

I am pro AM and have always been on his side

• Plus1 3
23 hours ago, GBRFAN said:

I agree 100%

As stated above AM is my pick over TG - you just dont have to look far for an example of the proper tech for a sideways pass....

I am pro AM and have always been on his side

What’s wrong with you? Everyone knows that at Nebraska the back up QB is always the best on the roster!

• Plus1 1

On 5/16/2020 at 5:37 PM, Treand3 said:

Two different schemes, obviously. I personally think Iowa is better equipped to play spread teams defensively, and Wisconsin against straight ahead power teams.

Austin having more say in the offensive game planning will pay nice dividends imo.

When they first announced his change in title I thought it was somewhat about rationale for his raise rather than a substantial change in duties. But from public comments where he was openly critical of our rushing attack it does look like he's going to have real input from here on out. Between Austin and Lubick think Frost will get substantially better input than he got from Walters. 

10 minutes ago, Danimal said:

When they first announced his change in title I thought it was somewhat about rationale for his raise rather than a substantial change in duties. But from public comments where he was openly critical of our rushing attack it does look like he's going to have real input from here on out. Between Austin and Lubick think Frost will get substantially better input than he got from Walters. 

I'm hoping Frost puts more responsibility on them so he can look at Special Teams and the defense more (Especially LBs).

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, Treand3 said:

I'm hoping Frost puts more responsibility on them so he can look at Special Teams and the defense more (Especially LBs).

It appears that special teams is getting a complete overhaul and massive increase in focus/attn.  New kickers with real talent ( if reports are accurate) and serious coaching attention.  Special teams is equally important to winning as offense and defense.  In fact mediocre teams can become giant killers with dynamic emphasis on kicking/coverage/returns.  Add in a good set of gimmick/gadget plays and two minute drills and any given saturday upsets will happen.  Conversely ignore those phases and blowout losses become the norm for mediocre squads.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

It appears that special teams is getting a complete overhaul and massive increase in focus/attn.  New kickers with real talent ( if reports are accurate) and serious coaching attention.  Special teams is equally important to winning as offense and defense.  In fact mediocre teams can become giant killers with dynamic emphasis on kicking/coverage/returns.  Add in a good set of gimmick/gadget plays and two minute drills and any given saturday upsets will happen.  Conversely ignore those phases and blowout losses become the norm for mediocre squads.  

Absolutely 

9 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

That is what Virginia Techs program was built on when Frank Beamer was the coach. And he used that to propel the program into a year in and year out top 25 team. 

I also wonder how much different our kicking game would have looked if Pickering wouldn’t have gotten hurt. I think that injury had more impact on the season than one might initially think. Play calling might have been different and maybe we would have won another game or two and we’d be looking at last season in a little bit different light

• Plus1 1

On 5/18/2020 at 9:00 AM, Treand3 said:

It was pretty obvious in the post-game pressers that Frost's focus was monopolized by the offense, and ya it is to the detriment of the D and ST's.