Any former Cornhuskers in the Super Bowl?

I am I

28 minutes ago, SFW said:

The I formation and the full back works.

Do you cling to the notion that it doesn’t.

You can’t grind out a clock with screen passes.

You use the final possession where KC needed one first down as the proof of your point?  You ignore over 95% of the game and point out a drive where KC got the ball back with less than 2 minutes left in the game. 

KC got the lead by mixing big pass plays and the single back run game.  The winning TD was scored on a swing pass to a RB.

SF couldn’t grind out the clock in the 4th quarter and they were supposed to be the “old school” offense.  What I saw from them all night was getting the lead by using misdirection and great blocking to get chunk plays in the running game, along with play action passes to open receivers over the middle.  Then Jimmy G couldn’t make the key plays in the 4th quarter, including missing a big play on an overthrow of Sanders.

I’m not tied to one offense or the other, although I think regular use fullback makes it harder to run than going single back. 

• Plus1 5

51 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

You use the final possession where KC needed one first down as the proof of your point?  You ignore over 95% of the game and point out a drive where KC got the ball back with less than 2 minutes left in the game. 

KC got the lead by mixing big pass plays and the single back run game.  The winning TD was scored on a swing pass to a RB.

SF couldn’t grind out the clock in the 4th quarter and they were supposed to be the “old school” offense.  What I saw from them all night was getting the lead by using misdirection and great blocking to get chunk plays in the running game, along with play action passes to open receivers over the middle.  Then Jimmy G couldn’t make the key plays in the 4th quarter, including missing a big play on an overthrow of Sanders.

I’m not tied to one offense or the other, although I think regular use fullback makes it harder to run than going single back. 

YOU HATE THE PAST!!!!

• Haha 3

Talk about a thread hijack.  SFW, we aren't going back to fullback football anytime soon. 

As to no Huskers in the Superbowl, it is sad to see.  The reality is we have put very few players in the NFL over the last 10 years so our chances have been going down exponentially.  For reference, in the 90s there were 63 Huskers drafted.  In the 2000's, there were 45, and only 28 in the previous decade.  We started last season with 26 total former huskers.  Many of those guys on rosters were undrafted free agents who ended up making teams.  The reality is we just aren't sending near as much talent to the league so it was bound to happen.   

6 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Talk about a thread hijack.  SFW, we aren't going back to fullback football anytime soon. 

As to no Huskers in the Superbowl, it is sad to see.  The reality is we have put very few players in the NFL over the last 10 years so our chances have been going down exponentially.  For reference, in the 90s there were 63 Huskers drafted.  In the 2000's, there were 45, and only 28 in the previous decade.  We started last season with 26 total former huskers.  Many of those guys on rosters were undrafted free agents who ended up making teams.  The reality is we just aren't sending near as much talent to the league so it was bound to happen.   

I wouldn't be too surprised if the Hybrid Tight End/Fullback does make a comeback within the next 5 years.

As many situations that teams need to get a yard or two..Or grind out the clock.  

Not-so-distant-future dad: "Let me tell you about a time when football was played with fullbacks."

Son: "What's a fullback?"

Dad: "He blocked and was bloodied and tough and a punisher."

Son: "What's blocking?"

Unless of course, they start calling targeting on the Offense.

44 minutes ago, HUSKER 37 said:

I wouldn't be too surprised if the Hybrid Tight End/Fullback does make a comeback within the next 5 years.

As many situations that teams need to get a yard or two..Or grind out the clock.  

Unless of course, they start calling targeting on the Offense.

I think it will be a hybrid TE/FB/WR combo, much like Aaron Hernandez was for Florida and  New England.  I think of Chris Hickman in this role for NU.  His skills and talents are different than guys like Jack Stoll or the 2021 recruit out of Council Bluffs.  There will be room for classic TE's who are on-line blockers and down the middle threats in the passing game, but the want for versatility in an offense will be big for guys like Hickman.  Number 44 for San Francisco made a couple big plays in last night's Super Bowl is a TE/FB combo.  People want to call him a fullback because he's #44.

EDIT:  #44 does have classic fullback size (6'1" 240 lbs) so I guess he should be considered a fullback.  But, he's clearly not just a battering ram as a player.  I would also be curious the percentage of plays which SF ran 2 back sets in last night and over the course of the season.

2nd EDIT:  Here is an article from Bleacher Report which shows that SF ran 2-back sets about 30 percent of the time, ranking 2nd in the NFL behind the Vikings.  Of course, I think the Vikings offense is far too conservative, and is head coached by a former defensive coordinator.  https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2866506-how-kyle-shanahans-secret-weapons-schemes-have-made-49ers-a-title-contender