Every Swing/Screen Pass of the 2019 Season

knapplc

6 hours ago, HUSKER 37 said:

Is there a breakdown on which of our QBs makes this throw more consistently?

Just like the bad snaps throwing off the timing of the play, hitting the guy in stride would probably help even more.

I'm guessing the coaches (or armchair coaches like me) tend to give 2AM the nod because he seems to be able to make the ''impossible throws'', but if the screens or Swing passes make up so much of our plays, maybe we need to adjust who we think should be playing on certain situations. 

Quick passes to WR/TE with blockers in from require arm strength and accuracy and that favors Martinez. McCaffrey seemed to show the best ability to throw screen passes as those require touch and a feel for the timing necessary to throw them. I’m not sure which QB is best at hitting a RB on the run and letting him use his blockers, but Martinez had a few of those which were successful to Mo early in the season. Tough to say if those were successful due to Mo’s ability to catch and run though. 

4 hours ago, Treand3 said:

A part of me feels the play at the 9:00 mark kept us out of a bowl. Still think that was a shaky playcall. You have a QB that had been suspect with his decision making up to that point, while being out for several weeks. Your team had been reeling and needing confidence, and you needed to do whatever was necessary to build the biggest lead possible because your defense had proved time and time again that it was  prone to falling apart later in games. 2 yards from the endzone in that situation was not the time to call that play when the team was fighting for bowl eligibility.

I knew what you were talking about right away. The shovel pass on the goal line.  That whole sequence of plays at that point is maddening.  The whole Purdue game just makes me sick. At that point in the year Purdue is playing pretty bad and is racked by injuries.  At the very least they should have been winning that game 21-14 at halftime and at the very best it should have been 28-10. Instead they are losing 13-14.

The first half play calling was terrible and it was probably Martinez's worst half of play all year.  The defense actually played fairly solid in the first half other than giving up a 20 yard play on 3rd and 15 from your own 23 yard line.   

The second half Frost finally figures out that they can run the ball straight at them and they score some short yardage stuff, but then the defense can't get off the field and lets a 3rd string QB drive right down the field for the winning score.  That is upsetting, but it should never have been that close. 

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Quick passes to WR/TE with blockers in from require arm strength and accuracy and that favors Martinez. McCaffrey seemed to show the best ability to throw screen passes as those require touch and a feel for the timing necessary to throw them. I’m not sure which QB is best at hitting a RB on the run and letting him use his blockers, but Martinez had a few of those which were successful to Mo early in the season. Tough to say if those were successful due to Mo’s ability to catch and run though. 

How do you get this about Luke when he only threw 12 passes?

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2

That Video made me ill.  

These passes were mostly poorly set up, executed, and blocked.  Very little deception...easy reads for the defense.

When you have no power run game and no deep threat passing.  The defense can easily defend these poorly blocked sideways passes. 

If that Video is the future.... it’s going to be ugly in 2020.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

6 hours ago, NUinID said:

I knew what you were talking about right away. The shovel pass on the goal line.  That whole sequence of plays at that point is maddening.  The whole Purdue game just makes me sick. At that point in the year Purdue is playing pretty bad and is racked by injuries.  At the very least they should have been winning that game 21-14 at halftime and at the very best it should have been 28-10. Instead they are losing 13-14.

The first half play calling was terrible and it was probably Martinez's worst half of play all year.  The defense actually played fairly solid in the first half other than giving up a 20 yard play on 3rd and 15 from your own 23 yard line.   

The second half Frost finally figures out that they can run the ball straight at them and they score some short yardage stuff, but then the defense can't get off the field and lets a 3rd string QB drive right down the field for the winning score.  That is upsetting, but it should never have been that close. 

Right. You don't risk anything to chance at that point. That may have been something you called if you were up 21+ in the mid 3rd qtr or later.

Martinez hadn't played in weeks and Nebraska lost a game they should've won against IU so they needed some confidence/momentum. Then you had a game looming against Wisconsin following this one. Maybe I making too big of a deal of it but making a bowl changes the perception of things quite a bit imo.

22 hours ago, HUSKER 37 said:

Is there a breakdown on which of our QBs makes this throw more consistently?

Just like the bad snaps throwing off the timing of the play, hitting the guy in stride would probably help even more.

I'm guessing the coaches (or armchair coaches like me) tend to give 2AM the nod because he seems to be able to make the ''impossible throws'', but if the screens or Swing passes make up so much of our plays, maybe we need to adjust who we think should be playing on certain situations. 

15 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

12 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

How do you get this about Luke when he only threw 12 passes?

8 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

It’s clear that Martinez has the stronger arm and I was complimenting Luke on his screen passes.  I think Luke can pass just fine for the system.  

After rewatching the OP video, It appears to me Vedral was the more consistently ''on target'' and hitting the swing pass in stride..2AM seemed to throw to the trailing ankle more times than not..(I'm guessing at least partially due to a banged up shoulder).

I don't remember seeing a swing pass from Luke, but he had a couple of nice mid screen passes behind the LT.

Is there some similar video out there that includes more of the incompletions?   Seems like a high percentage of 2AMs throws were so far behind, incompletions would have been fumbles.

I'm reminded of how much I sucked at Basketball...I couldn't make a 12' jumper to save my life, but made half of my half court shots.