DE Nathan Rawlins-Kibonge [Oklahoma Commit]

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

16 members have voted

1. 1. To which school will Rawlins-Kibonge commit?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/17/2020 at 10:00 PM

2 hours ago, Decked said:

Hope you didn’t get your hopes up. Didn’t even make his top 8. Tuioti is a liability on the recruiting trail it seems. Color me not impressed with what he brought in last class. 

Nash and marquise Black?   Like both of them.  Filled some holes with jucos with Riley.   I will not write him off yet.  

8 minutes ago, swmohusker said:

Nash and marquise Black?   Like both of them.  Filled some holes with jucos with Riley.   I will not write him off yet.  

Nash was mostly sealed by Dawson and staff. Black is a decent grab. Decent. Payne & Riley had pretty much minimal options. I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt that he can develop them but it isn’t very promising. 

• Plus1 1
19 minutes ago, Decked said:

Nash was mostly sealed by Dawson and staff. Black is a decent grab. Decent. Payne & Riley had pretty much minimal options. I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt that he can develop them but it isn’t very promising. 

True about Nash, but you can’t penalize a guy for the top Nose on our board being also recruited by Dawson. I think the staff was really high on Black.  Much higher than what he was rated.  Don’t know what Jucos we would have rather had, but not going to write him off yet.  Like Riley’s body type.  Payne looks quick off the ball and could help in the pass rushing department.  It will be interesting to see how Green looks this fall.  

• Fire 1
6 hours ago, Decked said:

Hope you didn’t get your hopes up. Didn’t even make his top 8. Tuioti is a liability on the recruiting trail it seems. Color me not impressed with what he brought in last class. 

I agree with you, i'm majorly disappointed so far. He largely swung and missed last class. He identified Cali/West Coast targets and put in a lot of effort without signing a single one. 

Thank goodness we had Nash on board and Beckon's Georgia connections for the two HS kids we signed. Because otherwise we were scrambling to plug holes with JUCOs come late fall. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
41 minutes ago, Warrior10 said:

I agree with you, i'm majorly disappointed so far. He largely swung and missed last class. He identified Cali/West Coast targets and put in a lot of effort without signing a single one. 

Thank goodness we had Nash on board and Beckon's Georgia connections for the two HS kids we signed. Because otherwise we were scrambling to plug holes with JUCOs come late fall. 

Yup. Tuioti’s recruiting is non existent at this point. Had high hopes for his west coast connections but it ain’t panning out.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

11 minutes ago, Stumpy1 said:

You guys can give him all grief you want but he is one of the few coaches on staff that recruits nationally for us.  Him and Held put in more hours then any of the others.  

Working hard without seeing results (so far) is just wasting precious time. Coach T may be a developmental coach (only time will tell) but let’s not pretend we’ve had any recruiting boost because of him up to this point. Fisher and Held are the best recruiters on staff and it isn’t close. Very happy with Austin too. 

If we want recruiting boosts then we better start winning.  That is all there is to it. 

All of Fishers recruits have come from Georgia and Florida. That is his main area of focus.  Held is a different story as he recruits nationally for us, same as Coach T.   I will admit that his recruiting hasnt panned out like some of the others but the guy works harder then anyone on staff, other then Held. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2
9 minutes ago, Stumpy1 said:

If we want recruiting boosts then we better start winning.  That is all there is to it. 

All of Fishers recruits have come from Georgia and Florida. That is his main area of focus.  Held is a different story as he recruits nationally for us, same as Coach T.   I will admit that his recruiting hasnt panned out like some of the others but the guy works harder then anyone on staff, other then Held. 

Fair enough 

8 hours ago, Stumpy1 said:

That's good to hear. But if Held is closing regularly, why can't T? Obviously this is just my personal/uninformed opinion but seems like wasted energy/effort for no results. Maybe it'll come this class and we are way off, but so far there's little to no traction. 

Decked mentioned it earlier, maybe he's a development guy that does "more with less".... maybe his time at Cal showed that. Im nervous to fall into being comfortable with that thought though. 

1 hour ago, Warrior10 said:

That's good to hear. But if Held is closing regularly, why can't T? Obviously this is just my personal/uninformed opinion but seems like wasted energy/effort for no results. Maybe it'll come this class and we are way off, but so far there's little to no traction. 

Decked mentioned it earlier, maybe he's a development guy that does "more with less".... maybe his time at Cal showed that. Im nervous to fall into being comfortable with that thought though. 

I wish I could answer why he can't close with recruits like Held.  I only have guesses on why.  

He is definitely a development guy and the players love him.  

Maybe the problem was hiring TT with the expectation of getting west coast DL to come?  TT or no, we just can't pull west coast linemen on either side of the ball.  It seems to be more of a institutional problem than a TT problem.  Do west coast linemen leave to go to other Midwest schools?  Because they sure as hell don't come to Nebraska very often.

You would have thought with Riley's staff (and their west coast connections) they could have pulled some lineman from the west coast, but no.

We got Robinson last year, but he had a Husker connection.  So lets see if he is the start of a trend or an outlier.

Since 2000 high school recruits:

West Coast DL - Robinson (AZ 2019), Moss (AZ 2012), Peat (AZ 2011), Meredith (CA 2008), Toailoa (CA 2008), Yancy (AZ 2007), Smith (NV 2006), Suh (OR 2005), Carriker (WA 2002), Thomas (CA 2000)

West Coast OL - Gates (NV 2014), Lewis (AZ 2013), Whitaker (CA 2012), Jones (AZ 2007), Hickman (CA 2006), Picou (CA 2005)

• Plus1 2
23 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Maybe the problem was hiring TT with the expectation of getting west coast DL to come?  TT or no, we just can't pull west coast linemen on either side of the ball.  It seems to be more of a institutional problem than a TT problem.  Do west coast linemen leave to go to other Midwest schools?  Because they sure as hell don't come to Nebraska very often.

You would have thought with Riley's staff (and their west coast connections) they could have pulled some lineman from the west coast, but no.

We got Robinson last year, but he had a Husker connection.  So lets see if he is the start of a trend or an outlier.

West Coast DL - Robinson (AZ 2019), Moss (AZ 2012), Peat (AZ 2011), Meredith (CA 2008), Toailoa (CA 2008), Yancy (AZ 2007), Smith (NV 2006), Suh (OR 2005), Carriker (WA 2002), Thomas (CA 2000)

West Coast OL - Gates (NV 2014), Lewis (AZ 2013), Whitaker (CA 2012), Jones (AZ 2007), Hickman (CA 2006), Picou (CA 2005)

Just did a really quick look at the 2020 class and it seems they don't leave the coast very often. Of the top DL from AZ, NV, CA, OR, WA there was a guy that went to CO, one to LSU and one to Northwestern. As you get into the mid 3* and lower players they spread out a bit more but the west coast largely dominates. A quick look at 2019 look similar so maybe it is just a really tough pull.

• Plus1 2
46 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Reading through this discussion, this was my thoughts.  If I remember right, the big hype with his recruiting is that he could start a pipeline of polly guys from the west coast.  Well, that has always been very difficult for us to do.  I agree, it's more of a location/institutional issue than what coach is recruiting them. 

Now, if he really is a good developer and the kids that do come here love him and we see good play on Saturdays, great....sometimes you don't need absolutely every coach on the staff to be top recruiters if they can compensate by contributing to player development.

However, if he continues to struggle recruiting and he does well in development, I could see him wanting to get bak to the west coast where he can recruit better.

• Mavric changed the title to DE Nathan Rawlins-Kibonge [Oklahoma Commit]