Longtime Big Ten Official Names The Worst Coach He’s Worked With

NUance

GettyImages-456055656-775x465.jpg

Longtime Big Ten Official Names The Worst Coach He’s Worked With 

February 8, 2020 @ 12:54pm » Chris Rosvoglou 

Capron worked with Jim Harbaugh, Urban Meyer and other high-profile coaches over the course of his career. However, none of them were considered the “worst” to the longtime Big Ten official.

According to Capron, the worst coach that he’s worked with was Bo PeliniLINK 

======================================================================  

Alright Bo!  Keeping us relevant.  lol 

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1

This was a weird interview in that it didn't even touch on one of the biggest stories of Capron's career - the time he was relieved of duties by the Big Ten. 

He's been a pretty controversial ref throughout his career. Not asking about that in this interview is pretty favorable treatment.

Big Ten looks small in not addressing officiating

Why was Dan Capron, the lead official on a crew disciplined by the Big Ten in 2002 after a game between Purdue and Wake Forest, working as the referee during the Ohio State-Michigan game?

It was surprising news for Joe Tiller, the former Purdue football coach who was livid in 2002 after shoddy officiating contributed to his team’s 24-21 loss to Wake Forest. The officials did not work more games that season, but the Big Ten never clarified the extent of the discipline.

“You would like to think that once they were semi-retired by the Big Ten that the Big Ten would say, ‘No, you’re done, period,’ ” Tiller, who coached at Purdue from 1997 to 2008, told USA TODAY Sports. “We had a real mess in that particular game from an officiating point of view.

“My complaint was, ‘You know, everybody involved in the game is held accountable for their performance. The players are, the coaches are, the timekeeper is. But the officials come along and they seem to be untouchables.’ Certainly that was true in the Big Ten at that time.’’

Capron, the referee in question, told USA TODAY Sports on Monday that Big Ten policy prohibits him from speaking to the news media.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, knapplc said:

This was a weird interview in that it didn't even touch on one of the biggest stories of Capron's career - the time he was relieved of duties by the Big Ten. 

He's been a pretty controversial ref throughout his career. Not asking about that in this interview is pretty favorable treatment.

But it’s his retirement article... :lol:

27 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

I was surprised to read that college level refs only make 50k per year.  I wouldn't put up with Pelini yelling at me for that much.

It's just a weekend gig, mostly.  They can have other jobs too.  A buddy of mine refs Big 10 games.  Sometimes Nebraska.  He has a full time job at a totally unrelated company.  

• Plus1 3