Hot tub time machine:  If you could bring back any two former Huskers …

NUance

23 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I mean you're right, RG could be a beast in this D. But I'll just never get over all the plays I saw him give half-assed effort. When he wanted to be a disruptive force he sure could be. But when he wanted to take a few plays or a series off..... I'm not sure it was a character issue and it sure wasn't lack of ability. He just seemed to be sporadically lacking tenacity. Probably not fair to compare him to a Wistrom or Alberts but it is inevitable in these discussions.

I don't remember him taking plays off, he just had to play a somewhat passive role in Pelini's defense. I watched a film breakdown somewhere (I'll see if I can find it) where the guy mentioned a "knock" on Gregory was his slow reaction off the snap. But when he actually watched the film, over 70% of the time Gregory was reading the tackle - not even looking at the ball, so obviously it's going to look slow. But that's just what Pelini's D asked, and he did a really good job with it.

I realize that's probably not what you're talking about with effort, but I really don't remember him loafing around at all. I do remember wondering why he wasn't just tearing around the edge wrecking QBs, but a lot of that was the style of defense.

Found it, here it is! I am not this dude and don't know his qualifications, but it was a good watch if you're bored.

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, flatwaterfan said:

Actually I did which led me to the question.   I do agree we have a lot of homegrown Nebraska OL's but most seem to be interior OL.    Not trying to get into an argument.   Have a good day.

Wasn't arguing and also don't want to. TBH I only remember the names of the usual suspects from our great lines. And I agree most of those tend to be interior linemen. I guess dissatisfaction and sadness over our recent OL's manifests in strange ways. I liked Farmer and Foster as Huskers but it seemed like most of their contributions were made in pressers and hype and not necessarily on the field.

And, like RG, much of that dissatisfaction is likely more due to the scheme and coaches and results than maybe the players themselves.

22 hours ago, TGHusker said:

Tommie Frazier - we need a real leader on O - we got skilled guys, the Oline will be better.  Just need someone who can get into people's faces  and if need be - do it himself  (Florida is still trying to tackle him I hear).  While his passing skills aren't the greatest I think it would be serviceable in this O. 

Grant Wistrom  - I originally though SUH but with the bulked up Big 10 lines, he may not have as much success as pass happy Big 12.

We need a big time edge rusher and Grant fits the bill.

Suh Tossed around all the guys in the NFL. The only thing that held him back after the first few years was his attitude

• Plus1 1
32 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Suh Tossed around all the guys in the NFL. The only thing that held him back after the first few years was his attitude

True enough.  Yes I'd take SUH any day and every day but outside of him, I'd like Grant because we need that edge rusher in  a big way.

I tend to think this team has been, and continues to be, a head case and its own worst enemy for the last 10 years or so, one who doesn't truly think it can win a big game. It's painful to watch these games.

Even though I'd rather have Suh than anyone in my lifetime for a pure game changer, I'd probably go with Tommie Frazier and Christian Peter (I know, in my perfect world, we'll disregard "off the field" behavior).

Tommie's confidence and big game performance changed the course of this program in the 90s. It seemed infectious. And I could have picked from a few (including Jason), but I settled on Christian to bring real team belief and leadership, since I think he was instrumental in developing that "refuse to lose" mentality.

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, husker_rob said:

I tend to think this team has been, and continues to be, a head case and its own worst enemy for the last 10 years or so, one who doesn't truly think it can win a big game. It's painful to watch these games.

Even though I'd rather have Suh than anyone in my lifetime for a pure game changer, I'd probably go with Tommie Frazier and Christian Peter (I know, in my perfect world, we'll disregard "off the field" behavior).

Tommie's confidence and big game performance changed the course of this program in the 90s. It seemed infectious. And I could have picked from a few (including Jason), but I settled on Christian to bring real team belief and leadership, since I think he was instrumental in developing that "refuse to lose" mentality.

I've seen that disregard of off field behavior mentioned in another post..I even considered it when considering LP over Rozier or Craig..

But just for the sake of discussion, What if we couldn't?  What if we had to take the bad with the good?

I remember worrying about my Niece while she was going to UNL at the time, especially when she told me she'd seen Christian at the Rail.

Many consider our '95 team the GOAT, but there was always this dark cloud hovering over the team for me..And maybe even in how I thought TO handled the problematic 5?... CP especially...

The Christian Peter case remains an open wound for many. The defensive tackle was the intense soul of the 95 Blackshirts. In Sherman's words, he was "a team leader who was always walking on the edge. There was no line that he was afraid to cross, on or off the field, to help his team succeed." Jason Peter, who started alongside Christian on the 95 D-line, calls his brother "the best leader Nebraska's ever had. He'd cut off his arm for the program."

Since I was first to post I didn't name any guys not listed in the thread.  Here are a couple of great players so far overlooked: 

QB Steve Taylor (First team All-American, All Big 8)

DE George Andrews (First team All-American, All Big 8, 1st round draft pick)

On 2/13/2020 at 9:59 AM, NUance said:

Since I was first to post I didn't name any guys not listed in the thread.  Here are a couple of great players so far overlooked: 

QB Steve Taylor (First team All-American, All Big 8)

DE George Andrews (First team All-American, All Big 8, 1st round draft pick)

Steve Taylor may have been the best QB to never had played in a championship game at Nebraska.  Came close - damn sooner magic crap.

• Plus1 1