Hot tub time machine:  If you could bring back any two former Huskers …

NUance

I'd bring back Willie Harper and Monte Johnson because the Huskers need LBs

and...I would also bring back Danny Noonan and Junior Miller...because the Huskers need a D-lineman that can fit in his shirt and a tight end that can catch and block

and Todd Frain so I could laugh at him because I already brought back Junior Miller so Todd would never get to play.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Brook would be helpful but I am not sure even a great TE like Mitchell would be that big a difference maker.  Id stay with O line or defense boosters.  It would take more than 2 - maybe 6.  imo. 

The topic didn't ask to bring back 6 it said 2

Doug Dubose if he stayed healthy

Troy Dumas

3 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I know thats what it said.  2 wouldnt be enough.  No matter which two u pick but might win a close game or two.  

I disagree.  In all seriousness, I would take Suh (as everyone would) and there are alot to choose from as #2 but maybe Lavonte David. 

One O-Lineman doesn't make much difference as your OL is only as good as its weakest link in a sense, and our entire offense doesn't have any glaring holes.  The only offensive player i would consider would be a great QB, but we seem to have some decent QBs already, and we dont really have a stellar ALL-AROUND QB in our history.  We have had some great RB-type QBs , (Tommie etc.), but what would improve our current team the most would be a couple dominant defensive players.

Unlike on the OL, just 1 dominant defensive lineman/end can make a huge difference.  Where i disagree is when you say 2 dominant players wouldn't make much difference.  2 DOMINANT players like Suh can turn an average defense into a very good one.  We don't know what next year will bring but the typical concensus is somewhere around 7-5 or 6-6.  If you added Suh and David to our team, i bet 6-6/7-5 turns into about 10-2.  Thats the difference between being outside the top 25 to being in the top 10 with our schedule.

I will say this, adding Suh and David (or any other 2) wouldn't make us as good as the OSU or Clemson types, but there is not much difference between teams ranked between 6-35.  (Last year for example, 2 difference makers added and the only games we lose are OSU, Minnesota, and possibly still Wisconsin) we would have been top 25.  Even just adding Suh may have done that.

I want to add, when it comes to positions where just ONE player can make the biggest difference, their can be a huge difference depending on position.  One great DB isn't gonna change a team, one great OL isn't gonna change a team, as those positions are more about the sum of their parts.  If your gonna get a 5-star stud, where you would want him is either QB or RB, or on the DL/pass rusher, and in a close 2nd, at the Linebacker position.  Safety is somewhere between the most impactful and least impactful for potential difference just one guy can make.  But say Corcoran turns out to be the best OL in the country (theoretical argument here), it doesn't really matter if the guy to his left and the guy to his right are pushovers.  1 OL can't block 5 guys nomatter how good he is.  At the same time take a Suh for ex. , even if your other DL aren't very good, if it takes 2/3 guys to block Suh, someone is gonna get through very quickly.

Also, Darrion Daniels is no Suh, but even take him off our team last year and we might have won 2 games.

1 hour ago, desertshox said:

Some of ya'll are way over thinking this. And some appear to not have read or understood the first post. I mean how hard is it to pick 1 (one) player from offense then 1 (one) player from defense then repeat that process but not using any player somone else didnt name? 

But...Double negatives confuse me.

7 minutes ago, desertshox said:

Then we'll just assume you were one of the ones that didnt read the post. It didnt have my grammar error in it.

I read it, but thanks to your post, I realized I might have missed the part of having one from each side of the ball...My first two picks were already taken.

I still want to throw out names out here...

Sam Foltz...Probably the 1st punter I ever actually looked forward to seeing come onto the field,...I thought was already our best punter at coffin corner kicking.

On 2/12/2020 at 9:50 PM, HUSKER 37 said:

I've seen that disregard of off field behavior mentioned in another post..I even considered it when considering LP over Rozier or Craig..

But just for the sake of discussion, What if we couldn't?  What if we had to take the bad with the good?

Fair enough, if we had to take the bad with the good, then I would pick someone besides CP.

My point is just simply that I couldn't go *pure* talent (which would clearly be Suh for me), because I don't truly believe this team has thought it *should* win the big games in a long time. And I'm desperate for a talented leader to step up and smack his teammates upside the head to remind them that we are friggin Nebraska -- we should win every single game from now until eternity (that mentality).

So maybe Trev would be a good replacement for CP. Maybe his brother Jason. Maybe Grant. Someone who leads not only by example, but also by fist.

• Plus1 1
On 2/11/2020 at 12:28 PM, Husker in WI said:

Suh is the easy pick on defense given we don't know how the line is gonna look this year, but Broderick Thomas would be fun. Basically played in a 3-4 anyway and would immediately make me feel great about OLB.

Offensively, Johnny Rodgers would be an incredible fit in this offense even if Duck-R isn't a position of need. Any great lineman would help too, or somebody like Johnny Mitchell.

Had to go back and see if anyone picked Broderick Thomas.  I think you're the only one.   His talent level might not be up there with Suh.  But I'd say it's closer than most realize.  He was the 6th overall pick in the NFL draft.  That, and The Sandman would fill in nicely at a position of need, OLB.  

• Plus1 1