Jump to content
NUance

Hot tub time machine:  If you could bring back any two former Huskers …

Recommended Posts

First two I thought of were Dave Rimington and ME!!!

Even though I never walked on...Mainly because I'd probably be Rimmington's Blocking Dummy, But I sure miss my teenage body.. and the chance to invent velcro or Microsoft or Bottled water.  Half of those two are already taken, so..

 

Dominic Raiola  Scratch that, I almost know our current Center's Mom.

 

 

..DT .Neil Smith with his over 7' reach, DE Kyle Vanden Bosch

Share this post


Link to post

9 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

 


Pretty sure that was an attempt at humor. If it wasn’t......:facepalm: I mean the deal was any 2 past Huskers. I could name 30+ OL I’d take before their names were even on the radar.

Sounds like you can help me out with OT's then.   I can think of Lingefelter & Behning as good Ot's but which other OT's have we had that were good?  That were good in pass pro and run blocking.   I am really struggling with this. And I agree about the 30+ but they are all guards and centers!

Share this post


Link to post

Bo and Carl Pelini!!

 

tenor.gif?itemid=7531677

 

 

Oh, you meant former players... my bad! 

  • Plus1 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post

Johnny the Jet on O

Randy Gregory on D just because I think that is a bigger need but I'd also like to have Ralph Brown out there 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Johnny the Jet on O

Randy Gregory on D just because I think that is a bigger need but I'd also like to have Ralph Brown out there 

 

 

 

Gotta think that Gregory could be a total nightmare as an OLB in this defense.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, flatwaterfan said:

Sounds like you can help me out with OT's then.   I can think of Lingefelter & Behning as good Ot's but which other OT's have we had that were good?  That were good in pass pro and run blocking.   I am really struggling with this. And I agree about the 30+ but they are all guards and centers!

Rob Zatechka

Zach Wiegert

Chris Dishman

Adam Treu

Eric Anderson

Kory Mikos

Scott Raridon

Mark Behning

 

And no, I didn’t know if many of these were OG or OT but I only looked at rosters for 92, 94 and 83 to get this list of OT’s. You’re correct, the more dominant OL seemed to be Guards and Centers but guessing we could easily come up with 30 OT and 30 OG that would make us forget about any OL from the last 10 years. Now if you want to move the goalposts and specify players perfectly suited to the current offense, I’m not inclined to undertake that exercise.

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Johnny the Jet on O

Randy Gregory on D just because I think that is a bigger need but I'd also like to have Ralph Brown out there 

 

 

 

11 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

 

Gotta think that Gregory could be a total nightmare as an OLB in this defense.


Im sorry guys but I just have never gotten the RG love. Sure he had amazing potential but how much of that actually transformed to reality for the Huskers?  Now RG without the chronic, that might’ve been something to see. Sure he’d be an immense upgrade over what we’ve recently had at that position but no way he is in the top ten players I’d bring back.

Share this post


Link to post
24 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

 

Gotta think that Gregory could be a total nightmare as an OLB in this defense.

Yep. His ability to pass rush would make a huge difference for us. 

 

8 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

 


Im sorry guys but I just have never gotten the RG love. Sure he had amazing potential but how much of that actually transformed to reality for the Huskers?  Now RG without the chronic, that might’ve been something to see. Sure he’d be an immense upgrade over what we’ve recently had at that position but no way he is in the top ten players I’d bring back.

Not sure what you were watching but he was damn good for us. His SO year he has 17 TFLs and 9.5 sacks. JR year the numbers dipped a little  but he played in 3 less games and was recieving alot more attention from opposing OCs. Even with that he was regularly pressuring the QB. May not have gotten home a ton that year (7 sacks) but I'd be interested to see the hurries he caused because it seemed like alot. He was an elite pass rusher when he was here regardless of his character flaws and would absolutely change the dynamic of this defense if he brought that skillset to the table.

 

 

Edit: also, all of the other good pass rushers have been mentioned :throwdabones1:

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
26 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Rob Zatechka

Zach Wiegert

Chris Dishman

Adam Treu

Eric Anderson

Kory Mikos

Scott Raridon

Mark Behning

 

And no, I didn’t know if many of these were OG or OT but I only looked at rosters for 92, 94 and 83 to get this list of OT’s. You’re correct, the more dominant OL seemed to be Guards and Centers but guessing we could easily come up with 30 OT and 30 OG that would make us forget about any OL from the last 10 years. Now if you want to move the goalposts and specify players perfectly suited to the current offense, I’m not inclined to undertake that exercise.

That's okay  thanks for taking a stab at it.  

 

I take solace in the fact that I think we are going to have some current and future OT's that will be making this list some day.

 

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, flatwaterfan said:

That's okay  thanks for taking a stab at it.  

 

I take solace in the fact that I think we are going to have some current and future OT's that will be making this list some day.

 

...thanks for taking a stab at it :lol:

I spent 5 minutes looking up past rosters. I'm sure if you were to do the same, you'd find numerous OTs that were very good. What stood out to me the most was that many/most of those OL players were homegrown Nebraska boys. I realize the game and numbers have changed but dang.

Share this post


Link to post
36 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Yep. His ability to pass rush would make a huge difference for us. 

 

Not sure what you were watching but he was damn good for us. His SO year he has 17 TFLs and 9.5 sacks. JR year the numbers dipped a little  but he played in 3 less games and was recieving alot more attention from opposing OCs. Even with that he was regularly pressuring the QB. May not have gotten home a ton that year (7 sacks) but I'd be interested to see the hurries he caused because it seemed like alot. He was an elite pass rusher when he was here regardless of his character flaws and would absolutely change the dynamic of this defense if he brought that skillset to the table.

 

 

Edit: also, all of the other good pass rushers have been mentioned :throwdabones1:

 

I mean you're right, RG could be a beast in this D. But I'll just never get over all the plays I saw him give half-assed effort. When he wanted to be a disruptive force he sure could be. But when he wanted to take a few plays or a series off..... I'm not sure it was a character issue and it sure wasn't lack of ability. He just seemed to be sporadically lacking tenacity. Probably not fair to compare him to a Wistrom or Alberts but it is inevitable in these discussions.

  • Plus1 2

Share this post


Link to post

Actually I did which led me to the question.   I do agree we have a lot of homegrown Nebraska OL's but most seem to be interior OL.    Not trying to get into an argument.   Have a good day.

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post

LP- Best RB, Hope Frost,  Held, and Ron Brown can keep him on track.

Suh- Almost went David, but Suh would make Miller, Honas, and the young guys job so much easier.  

 

Close calls were Ahman Green, Will Shields

Share this post


Link to post
23 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

 

I mean you're right, RG could be a beast in this D. But I'll just never get over all the plays I saw him give half-assed effort. When he wanted to be a disruptive force he sure could be. But when he wanted to take a few plays or a series off..... I'm not sure it was a character issue and it sure wasn't lack of ability. He just seemed to be sporadically lacking tenacity. Probably not fair to compare him to a Wistrom or Alberts but it is inevitable in these discussions.

Of course. He definitely had his flaws and motor was a big knock. I wanted to go with T Farley but had already been mentioned. Gregory doesn't stack up against the all time greats by any means but he would be a great piece to have in 2020 

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.










×
×
  • Create New...