***2020 Pre-Season Previews Megathread***

Saunders

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just now, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I'm sure the RB behind Taylor is trash

I think it is fair to say they won't be as good as Taylor, but right - not like they're replacing him with a scrub. Although this is another game where early in the year helps us I think - none of the other backs on the roster have looked anything like Taylor/Corey Clement/Montee Ball/James White/Melvin Gordon/you get the point. I think Jalen Berger is their guy and he'll be great, but will he be that in the second game of his career? Quite possibly, but less likely than in November. 

2 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

I think it is fair to say they won't be as good as Taylor, but right - not like they're replacing him with a scrub. Although this is another game where early in the year helps us I think - none of the other backs on the roster have looked anything like Taylor/Corey Clement/Montee Ball/James White/Melvin Gordon/you get the point. I think Jalen Berger is their guy and he'll be great, but will he be that in the second game of his career? Quite possibly, but less likely than in November. 

When you have a list of running backs like that the odds are the next one can be the same. We need to find a way to finally stop Wisconsin's running game and I'm gonna assume Berger will be just as good until I'm shown otherwise, ha.

5 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

When you have a list of running backs like that the odds are the next one can be the same. We need to find a way to finally stop Wisconsin's running game and I'm gonna assume Berger will be just as good until I'm shown otherwise, ha.

Well a couple years it was Dare Ogunbowale! But he also averaged almost 120 a game at 8.5 YPC against us, so even the meh backs have been good. Still glad we're seeing them early, I think they're the better team still but do have more critical pieces to replace. Could take a little time to gel.

• Plus1 1

Wisconsin also lost their best two defensive players (Chris Orr and Zack Baun) but return a decent amount of others. They are not practicing right now because of Covid. As others mentioned they are missing their running back and some really good offensive linemen as well. Obviously they reload very well. Wish we didn't play them after a very physical Ohio State game but I like that we got them early.  It seems like this is as good a shot as any to pull an upset.

37 minutes ago, Head Coach Scott Frost said:

Wisconsin also lost their best two defensive players (Chris Orr and Zack Baun) but return a decent amount of others. They are not practicing right now because of Covid. As others mentioned they are missing their running back and some really good offensive linemen as well. Obviously they reload very well. Wish we didn't play them after a very physical Ohio State game but I like that we got them early.  It seems like this is as good a shot as any to pull an upset.

Agree but I'm coming around to the schedule setup.  This is a huge opportunity for momentum and could really be the springboard this team needs to finally have confidence.  Play Ohio State tough,  beat Wisconsin and NW and see what happens at home versus PSU. 2-2 any way you get there is a huge step forward.  The only bad scenario I see is 0-4 honestly,  1-3 is expected and would be ok barring 3 blow out losses. Looking for positive momentum and player growth in the first month.