Mel Tucker named Michigan State new HC

19 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

So the loyal to Colarado tweet was a lie? You don't say....

MSU obviously expanded the previous offer. Plus he’s from Ohio and coached at MSU. Everyone wants to go after Tucker like they wouldn’t do the same thing for millions, + millions upgraded for your staff & S&C dept that MSU is gonna give him. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Decked said:

MSU obviously expanded the previous offer. Plus he’s from Ohio and coached at MSU. Everyone wants to go after Tucker like they wouldn’t do the same thing for millions, + millions upgraded for your staff & S&C dept that MSU is gonna give him. 

Oh I don't fault him for jumping. I fault him only for declaring there is no way he would jump not 48 hours before jumping. 

• Fire 1

This is good for NU bad for MSU. It’s good for the Huskers as it should help recruiting in Colorado, unless CU gets an ace recruiter/up and comer head coach that has a lot of hype around him like we got in Frost. It’s bad for MSU even though it’s a small sample size CUs defense drop something like 33 spots in total defense his first year. With the odd way their last coach left the day before signing day, and the loaded division the east is, I don’t feel like MSU is a very attractive job. I think they caught lightening in a bottle with Dantonio. The guy did a lot more than expected or their talent level might have suggested they should. It’s going to be very hard to find another coach that fits their program as well as he did

• Plus1 1

I would imagine the 2020 class would be the most vulnerable..And also maybe allowed to play right away without sitting out a year.

But how many extra scholarships do we have available?

I also wonder if CU recruits are drawn less to the Head coach and more to the Boulder area..Nice Brew Pubs last time I was there.

Any word on Whether MSU or CU are going to be able to keep many of their assistant coaches?

1 hour ago, Gorillahawk said:

This is good for NU bad for MSU. It’s good for the Huskers as it should help recruiting in Colorado, unless CU gets an ace recruiter/up and comer head coach that has a lot of hype around him like we got in Frost. It’s bad for MSU even though it’s a small sample size CUs defense drop something like 33 spots in total defense his first year. With the odd way their last coach left the day before signing day, and the loaded division the east is, I don’t feel like MSU is a very attractive job. I think they caught lightening in a bottle with Dantonio. The guy did a lot more than expected or their talent level might have suggested they should. It’s going to be very hard to find another coach that fits their program as well as he did

Yea i just dont think MSU is a very good job.  There isn't alot of history there at all, they are 2nd fiddle in their own state, and have 3 blue-bloods in their division that most recruits will choose over them, it is about as cold as it gets, they have a potential scandal brewing, etc.  I'm not so sure it isn't one of the worst P5 jobs at the moment.  

Tucker's staff just signed Colorado's highest ranked recruiting class in the Pac-12 since joining the conference in 2011. The Buffaloes put an emphasis on finding pass rushers. Outside linebacker signees Jason Harris, Alvin Williams, Guy Thomas and Devin Grant combined to record a total of 53.5 sacks at their respective schools last season.

https://247sports.com/college/colorado/Season/2020-Football/Commits/

14 hours ago, southernoregonhusker said:

They doubled his pay and gave him neary 5MM for assistants.  The Pac 12 and their terrible TV contracts are hurting more and more.  

Bingo.

There are assistants approaching what Tucker made at CU and the gap between the PAC and others will only grow substantially after the next round of tv contracts are negotiated. The SEC, in particular, is soon to see a substantial increase in revenue when their current CBS deal expires. They’ll be able pay more for coordinators than Colorado can a head coach.

2 hours ago, BigPeterJ said:

Yea i just dont think MSU is a very good job.

As we’ve seen now with multiple schools, the Big Ten has the cash to both pay promising coaches and improve the infrastructure and staffing. He certainly wasn’t going to get that at a school like Colorado and unlikely to build the kind of resume there to get a job outside the SEC/BIG10 that can offer this kind of opportunity.