Mel Tucker named Michigan State new HC

12 minutes ago, BigPeterJ said:

I can see why he left.  What has this guy done to earn that kind of contract? He makes more than Frost, and his assistants will make more than Frost's.  For that much money, Tucker was the best they could do??

Yeah...I mean it is not what you should be paid it is how much you can get.  This guy said no to them the first time...they struck out over and over...and came back and I bet they added an extra 2 million a year to the deal.

2 hours ago, BigPeterJ said:

I can see why he left.  What has this guy done to earn that kind of contract? He makes more than Frost, and his assistants will make more than Frost's.  For that much money, Tucker was the best they could do??

MSU is in a tough spot right now and they have to overpay to sweeten the negative side of the current opportunity....

2 hours ago, teachercd said:

Yeah...I mean it is not what you should be paid it is how much you can get.  This guy said no to them the first time...they struck out over and over...and came back and I bet they added an extra 2 million a year to the deal.

Where did you hear he said no? I believe you, it actually makes a lot of sense just confirming.

I never understand why fans get so hung up on the salary of certain coaches. Yeah, it’s a lot of money for those guys, but that’s the market rate. If Michigan State sees themselves as a top half of the Big Ten, then they need to pay the market rate for that type of coach.  Maybe the market is out of whack, but I doubt it will ever go back down and coaches start making less $. 

9 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I never understand why fans get so hung up on the salary of certain coaches. Yeah, it’s a lot of money for those guys, but that’s the market rate. If Michigan State sees themselves as a top half of the Big Ten, then they need to pay the market rate for that type of coach.  Maybe the market is out of whack, but I doubt it will ever go back down and coaches start making less $. 

I guess i just didn't realize how high the market rate was.  When we hired Frost for 5million/year i thought that must be in the top 10-15 nationally for who, at the time, was the hottest young coach in the country.  But i just learned today that Purdue pays their coach more than Nebraska, and that 5million/year is actually pretty average for a power 5 head coach.  We only paid Riley like 2million right? Coach salaries have skyrocketed in the last 10 years.

5 minutes ago, April Wine said:

Geez people,  Colorado just kicked our a$$ 2yrs in a row!!  Why wouldn't MSU be a better coaching job than NU??  We have no evidence to prove that theory wrong,  unless you want to admit that Mike Riley was the last NU coach to beat a top 10 team(MSU).

NU isn't as good of a job as it was 20 years ago, but it is still a better job than MSU.  MSU does pay good and cares about football, but other than that everything is working against MSU at this point.  They have no history or tradition like we have, and although there is more talent in their neck of the woods, they have to compete with 3 blue-blood schools for that local talent, they aren't even the top program in their own state.  Not to mention all the scandal possibility.  We are not the program we were in the 90's , but we also aren't the program we have been the last 3 or 4 years.  

Our history ended the night Tom Osborne won the 1997 National Title!  We did go to some bowl games (2000) national title game(which we shouldn't have) the blowout in boulder was embarrassing than the blowout in pasadina was just as bad.  We have won nothing in 20 years,  we have had losing seasons and no bowl games 3 of the last 4 years(got into a bowl game on a technicality).  MSU goes to a bowl game every year and plays in the toughest part(east) of the big 10.  Give me ONE reason why NU is a better coaching job than MSU.  Scott Frost does not count as a reason because you have to go a long way back in the history books to find a new head coach at NU to have back to back losing seasons.   And back then their weren't 40 bowl games a year.

52 minutes ago, April Wine said:

Our history ended the night Tom Osborne won the 1997 National Title!  We did go to some bowl games (2000) national title game(which we shouldn't have) the blowout in boulder was embarrassing than the blowout in pasadina was just as bad.  We have won nothing in 20 years,  we have had losing seasons and no bowl games 3 of the last 4 years(got into a bowl game on a technicality).  MSU goes to a bowl game every year and plays in the toughest part(east) of the big 10.  Give me ONE reason why NU is a better coaching job than MSU.  Scott Frost does not count as a reason because you have to go a long way back in the history books to find a new head coach at NU to have back to back losing seasons.   And back then their weren't 40 bowl games a year.

Being a worse football team, doesn't exactly equate to being a worse program.  The most recent 5 years doesn't define a program.  Nebraska still recruits better than MSU, despite Nebraska being in its worst stretch of history, and MSU being in their best.

I agree Nebraska isn't the best place to be a head coach, possibly not even in the top 25..but MSU has a lower ceiling imo.  If you weigh only recent success as your indicator of a program than i could see your point  

• Haha 1

I am just tired of people thinking Nebraska football Is relevant anymore,  its not.  National radio have been making fun of us for years, and why wouldn't they?  The only team that has crashed harder than the huskers is MIAMI as a national joke. Everybody thought golden boy the man to  bring it back,  but he totally crapped his pants in the last 2 minutes of the Iowa game last year(and that was just to get to 6 wins,  a bowl game).  Everyone says its about talent....i'm really tired of him blaming it on the rigimes before him, tired of him on national tv saying how good he is.  If he has 3 losing season in a row,  how will you feel?  that is possible

2 hours ago, April Wine said:

I am just tired of people thinking Nebraska football Is relevant anymore,  its not.  National radio have been making fun of us for years, and why wouldn't they?  The only team that has crashed harder than the huskers is MIAMI as a national joke. Everybody thought golden boy the man to  bring it back,  but he totally crapped his pants in the last 2 minutes of the Iowa game last year(and that was just to get to 6 wins,  a bowl game).  Everyone says its about talent....i'm really tired of him blaming it on the rigimes before him, tired of him on national tv saying how good he is.  If he has 3 losing season in a row,  how will you feel?  that is possible

I hear your frustrations.  I get your points.  They are valid.  But i think your going too far off of that end.  If Frost has a losing season this year i will be more with you on this.

Where im coming from is that i looked at our roster in depth, and noticed we had very little talent last year.  Despite our recruiting classes typically being ranked around 25, with attrition, we really lacked talent.  Also the culture was messed up, and we had no continuity.  Combine those 3 issues, and Frost really had a much tougher turn-around than people realized.  I truly believe we will be better this year, and be really good in 2021.  But he does have to prove it.  I would be willing to bet you that next year we make a bowl, and in 21' finish in the top 25.

Edit: I was right there with you until i looked at our roster more in depth.  (Looking at what we had vs. what we will have).  We are all frustrated, and i can get liquored up with the best of em' so dont challenge me with your brash posts haha...i will happily quote this post and put it in the face of my haters in 18 months...but we are gonna be good...next year better than expected, 2021 we win the big west.  Where i agree with you is that we have been as bad if a crash as anyone in CFB.  From best dynasty in the country, to not making a legit bowl in 4 years.  We ARE the laughing stock of cfb...no doubt.  Truth is we needed the humbling.  Its good for us.   You think our fans are bad now, we were spoiled like Bama not long ago.  We will appreciate our success when it happens again.