** 2020 Opponent Previews : Purdue (Game 7) **

Saunders

1 hour ago, Xmas32 said:

Good luck to Moore on the next level.  Lots of fun to watch on the college level and thanks for all the money you won me in CFB DFS.  It's going to be fun to see how his game translates on the next level as he's essentially a stronger version of Steve Smith.

You describe him as being like Steve Smith and I just thought in my head that he is way more like Maurice Jones-Drew. I look up Moore size and he isn't anywhere as big as I was thinking. The dude runs bigger than he is, much like a Saquan Barkley or MJD, in that you have to have good fundamentals and wrap up or he just slips out. Then I watch highlights to refresh myself and see him accelerate like Steve Smith and I remember why he is a nightmare to go up against. 

Thankfully Nebraska doesn't have to play him again.

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, Treand3 said:

Who said anything about using a LB? Specifically for Purdue and how they play.

At any rate, the point you were making should be less of an issue this year in theory. It seemed like last season, Miller and Honas didn't handle the intermediate stuff well at all.

Good points 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Mavric changed the title to ** 2020 Opponent Previews : Purdue (Game 7) **

I know we don't have a lot of room to talk smack after the past couple years, but I don't really get the Purdue hype. It hasn't been excessive, but seems like they're a trendy pick for a team on the upswing and I just don't see it. Moore and Bell are great, but everyone else?

• Brohm took over a decent WKU program and turned it into a good one. I see a lot of "Brohm is a terrific coach," and I'm not sure I buy it. 
  • None of the QBs look great, although they will improve and having 2 good receivers will help.
  • Their RBs are not good either. Their sbnation guy admits that Doerue (last year's starter) averaged "closer to 4 yards per carry," which is a hilarious way to describe 3.5.
  • Defense - they have been bad for a long time. Diaco is probably better than we saw, but he's not a magician. They've got a couple guys with good potential, but particularly in the secondary there's not much there.

None of that has been enough for us the past couple years, but I wouldn't be shocked if they have a pretty bad year. 

4 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

I know we don't have a lot of room to talk smack after the past couple years, but I don't really get the Nebraska hype. It hasn't been excessive, but seems like they're a trendy pick for a team on the upswing and I just don't see it. Mills and Wandale are great, but everyone else?

• Frost took over a decent UCF program and turned it into a good one. I see a lot of "Frost is a terrific coach," and I'm not sure I buy it. 
  • None of the QBs look great, although they will improve and having 2 good receivers will help.
  • Their RBs are not good either behind Mills (last year's starter).
  • Defense - they have been bad for a long time. Chinander is probably better than we saw, but he's not a magician. They've got a couple guys with good potential, but particularly in the secondary there's not much there.

None of that has been enough for us the past couple years, but I wouldn't be shocked if they have a pretty bad year. 

If you change the names, you're almost describing Nebraska also at this moment in time.  Be careful my friend,  haha. :lol:

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, runningblind said:

If you change the names, you're almost describing Nebraska also at this moment in time.  Be careful my friend,  haha. :lol:

Ha, true. It is funny how much I roll my eyes at other fanbases when I'm very similar with Nebraska. Like Wisconsin, a good chunk of their fans are saying Mertz should've been starting anyway and it's better for the team - I think that's ridiculous, but a chunk of our fabbase would feel the same about McCaffrey. 

I would say Martinez/experienced OL/more defensive potential separate us from Purdue, but I'm sure they feel differently about their young talent than I do. We'll see I guess, my opinions on things involving other teams have been all over the place. I had serious doubts about Zack Baun and Minnesota as a whole going into last year. :dunno

• Plus1 1
  • 2 weeks later...

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, catch me up on this.  Injured?  COVID?  Opting out?

Why is he not practicing?

He was on the sideline against Iowa in street clothes and a mask - I can't imagine he would be there if it were Covid. Unless he was in that last 7 day window, but my understanding there is he could be practicing at the point. So no idea, but I don't think it's Covid and it would be weird to opt out, then back in, then silently opt back out.