** 2020 Opponent Previews : Northwestern (Game 3) **

Saunders

CollegeFootballNews: Northwestern Schedule Breakdown & Predictions

Best Case Scenario

9-3: The Wildcats bounce back from the 2019 disaster with a stunning win in East Lansing over Michigan State to kick things off. They get through dangerous Tulane and Central Michigan teams on the way to a 5-1 start before dealing with Iowa and Purdue on the road. They split those two games, beat Wisconsin in Wrigley Field in early November, and beat Illinois to close things out. Realistically, even if everything breaks the right way, nine wins would be great.

Worst Case Scenario

4-8: It all goes wrong right away. The Cats lose on the road to Michigan State to kick things off, and they drop the away dates to Penn State, Iowa and Minnesota. They get rolled by Wisconsin in Wrigley, struggle against Nebraska, and can’t get the season going with any rhythm. There’s only one game in Evanston from October 10th until November 28th, and it shows.

https://collegefootballnews.com/2020/01/northwestern-football-schedule-2020-prediction-breakdown-analysis

Athlon - Northwestern Football: Wildcats' 2020 Spring Preview

After winning the Big Ten West and appearing in the Big Ten Championship Game in 2018, the Northwestern Wildcats were expected to be contenders again in 2019. But an unfortunate slate of injuries, inconsistency and a slew of mistakes on the field prevented that from happening. Northwestern ranked in the bottom half of most categories as they slogged through a 3-9 campaign. With spring football beginning this week, the Wildcats are rebuilding in the hopes of competing again in 2020. NU has plenty of work ahead of them and they have a lot of decisions to make.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/northwestern-football-wildcats-2020-spring-preview

More to come...

• Plus1 1

• 4 weeks later...

https://theathletic.com/1885908/2020/06/23/andy-staples-phil-steele-college-football-preview-magazine/

When I speak to Steele, he’s just gotten off the phone with Northwestern coach Pat Fitzgerald. Steele loves Northwestern this year. Why is he so bullish on a team that went 1-8 in Big Ten play last year? Because Northwestern had horrific quarterback play and one of the worst offenses a Power 5 program has ever put on the field but managed to play elite defense. The offense can’t help but get better — a new coordinator in Mike Bajakian and a potential new starting QB in Indiana transfer Peyton Ramsey should assist — and the defense returns nine starters and should remain excellent.

I've heard the "it has to get better, it can't get any worse" too many times to believe it. Props to Fitz for moving on from his OC (about 10 years too late), but I don't think it was just scheme. They have so little offensive talent it's not even funny - Ramsey will help, but they need some skill guys.

At a glance, Bajakian doesn't look super impressive. Decent offenses at Cincy, not great at Tennessee, and then QB coach in Tampa where Winston's development was less than stellar. Last year BC was really good running the ball, but not great at scoring some of which does come down to shorter games with the clock always running. But he doesn't have a pair of freakish 240 lb RBs and 4 all-conference (one 1st team, two 2nd, one third) offensive lineman. Long term a pound it down your throat offense is a much better fit with their defense than whatever the hell McCall was trying to do, but I just don't see it this year. Of course I didn't see it 2 years ago when they somehow won the West, so who knows. 

• Mavric changed the title to ** 2020 Opponent Previews : Northwestern (Game 3) **
  • 3 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking as an outsider, I really like this game each year. I know NW is not a flashy rival to have, but these games have really been fun to watch and they are a respectful team. Maybe you can play each year for the right to use  “NU”.  Not sure what the trophy would be.

I'm excited for this game! Watched the Iowa game and they really out played them soundly after the first quarter. This will be a good gauge on  the progress of our team. OSU was really tough, but considering how good they are I definitely saw some improvement in terms of toughness, tenacity and athleticism overall. Northwestern will be  a better benchmark overall on if we are really improving  this season. Wisconsin cancellation sucks, but I see us playing this game with a chip on our shoulders as a huge plus. I think we will squeak a win next week! GBR!

• Plus1 1
14 minutes ago, PaulCrewe said:

Just cover McGowan a hell of a lot better than the little white dude that had a career day out of the slot last time NU went out there

I am hoping to see a much more physical secondary Saturday.  What I thought would be the strength (injuries) was not.  The suspensions (one complete BS) will hurt.  I think as @Norhuskermentioned, we play this game with a chip in our shoulder.  I think we come out head hunting.  Let the B1G powers that be and talking heads know what we think of them.  The whole "I don't care if they respect me so long as they fear me" mentality.  Put out the notice that we have turned the corner.  

Hoping with almost 2 weeks to prepare, we get some pass packages for Brown, Betts, Manning (healthy?), Nance etc.....The whole no block no rock mantra is great.  Until it isn't.  Allowing any team (NW good LB's) to have 11 dudes in the box with no fear of a deep ball isn't a recipe for success against any team.  Anything to pull them out of the box.  IMHO, gotta get Mills 12-15 touches minimum and RT involved earlier. Pound the rock.  Maybe some I with Mills and RT....Just run the damn ball....:D

I think we win.  And not in the last few ticks of the clock......

Note- Frost and Co have got to be on their collective clock management game......

• Plus1 1