** 2020 Opponent Previews : Ohio State (Game 1) **

Saunders

33 minutes ago, Undone said:

Not having their stadium packed with their fans helps us in this one. Not saying that it's to a large degree, but it helps us.

I say blitz two of our linebackers on pretty much every play in the first quarter. We don't have the athletes on defense to be hesitant.

Can't wait to see our starting 11 trot out there on offense and run some plays...but I'm pretty much cringing at the thought of their defensive line versus our O-line.

They're breaking in some new DTs, so I'm hoping the Jurgen hype is real, Farniok takes to Guard really well and we're able to get some kind of push up the middle. Not holding my breath for that to be the case though, and I will be terrified on our first 3rd and long - this is not the ideal first start for a redshirt freshman tackle making his first start. 

• Plus1 1

15 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

They're breaking in some new DTs, so I'm hoping the Jurgen hype is real, Farniok takes to Guard really well and we're able to get some kind of push up the middle. Not holding my breath for that to be the case though, and I will be terrified on our first 3rd and long - this is not the ideal first start for a redshirt freshman tackle making his first start. 

This is a game where our O line can not win just straight up.  We have to have good run game play calling where we use mis direction....mixing it up so they don't know where its' going.  

I'm slightly (very slightly) concerned about Austin's comments about the run game ( that I can't find right now).  It sounded like it was going to be more "run right at them".  To do that, you have to have a dominating O line.

Edit:  Found it...guess it's not Austin's comments, but comments about his run game.

Maybe I'm taking this comment wrong.  But, to be effective in the run game, we need a good combination inside run and outside finesse and misdirection.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

This is a game where our O line can not win just straight up.  We have to have good run game play calling where we use mis direction....mixing it up so they don't know where its' going.  

I'm slightly (very slightly) concerned about Austin's comments about the run game ( that I can't find right now).  It sounded like it was going to be more "run right at them".  To do that, you have to have a dominating O line.

Edit:  Found it...

Maybe I'm taking this comment wrong.  But, to be effective in the run game, we need a good combination inside run and outside finesse and misdirection.

Fwiw, I’ve heard this is working very well in practice and scrimmage. He’s leaning on our biggest strength: the power run game. Our first team offense by all accounts has been unstoppable (which I’m hoping isn’t a bit of a bad sign about our defense) and it’s because the OLine has a lot of chemistry and perhaps a couple of all conference caliber dudes on it. But I understand your concern for sure. I’m hopeful it’s a good blend of what Austin wants mixed with Frost/Lubick.

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

It will be very interesting to see how it plays out, but I'd rather get beat trying to run it down their throats than getting too cute. At times last year, we were definitely the latter. Some of it is semantics too. Just like how "power football" doesn't necessarily mean I-formation, being more simple in the run game and focusing on bread and butter plays doesn't mean we're running dive, sweep, and counter with nothing else. I'm cautiously optimistic, and also think our line will be better than a lot of fans expect. 

I see where you're coming from with misdirection, but I'm not sure OSU is the team to go that way on. They don't seem like one of those hyper-aggressive defenses that you can get out of position, and even if you can they have the athleticism to still make the play. I'm sure there's a world of nuance between "run right at them" and misdirection, but I'd lean toward the former. We aren't averaging 8 yards a pop no matter what here, and especially if they come out prepared for our kitchen sink run game there could be some success in hitting them with the same stuff executed well.

11 minutes ago, Caliborn72 said:

Fwiw, I’ve heard this is working very well in practice and scrimmage. He’s leaning on our biggest strength: the power run game. Our first team offense by all accounts has been unstoppable (which I’m hoping isn’t a bit of a bad sign about our defense) and it’s because the OLine has a lot of chemistry and perhaps a couple of all conference caliber dudes on it. But I understand your concern for sure. I’m hopeful it’s a good blend of what Austin wants mixed with Frost/Lubick.

I hope you're right with the bold.

7 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I see where you're coming from with misdirection, but I'm not sure OSU is the team to go that way on. They don't seem like one of those hyper-aggressive defenses that you can get out of position, and even if you can they have the athleticism to still make the play. I'm sure there's a world of nuance between "run right at them" and misdirection, but I'd lean toward the former. We aren't averaging 8 yards a pop no matter what here, and especially if they come out prepared for our kitchen sink run game there could be some success in hitting them with the same stuff executed well.

There is a big difference between getting too cute with every play and being creative.  Sure, last year maybe we were trying too much.  But, they were trying to help out a young O line.  But....the other extreme is the Callahan years.  I'm a firm believer if we would have had BC's passing game with just some simple mis direction every once in a while in the run game and creativity, his offense would have been deadly.  But, it was the typical pro style run game where the ball is handed off 5 yards back and run straight ahead at a hole.  You have to have one dang good O line to make that work.  Until we do, we have to keep the defense guessing.  Misdirection doesn't have to mean something goofy.  Just keep them slightly guessing.

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I hope you're right with the bold.

There is a big difference between getting too cute with every play and being creative.  Sure, last year maybe we were trying too much.  But, they were trying to help out a young O line.  But....the other extreme is the Callahan years.  I'm a firm believer if we would have had BC's passing game with just some simple mis direction every once in a while in the run game and creativity, his offense would have been deadly.  But, it was the typical pro style run game where the ball is handed off 5 yards back and run straight ahead at a hole.  You have to have one dang good O line to make that work.  Until we do, we have to keep the defense guessing.  Misdirection doesn't have to mean something goofy.  Just keep them slightly guessing.

Gotcha, honestly I'm not sure we'll notice the difference in how it looks like the game is called. I don't know enough about blocking schemes to pinpoint what could be simplified, etc. But I'm sure we'll still see stuff designed to keep the defense off balance, I just have no idea if it will look any different to the average fan. Other than more successful, ideally.

1 hour ago, Caliborn72 said:

:waste

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Caliborn72 said:

Who did you hear that from, your local Kool-Aid distributor? 

I kid, I kid.

• Plus1 1