** 2020 Opponent Previews : Minnesota (Game 8) **

Saunders

This is really interesting when it comes to draft positioning. Obviously he's thought of as a 1st rounder and that won't change, but if other top WRs don't opt out and have good seasons he could easily slip down a bit. Recency bias is definitely a thing and not seeing him on the field this year might hurt. Though we might not see anyone on the field...

• 1 month later...

I really think that without Bateman/Johnson/smith that Minny could struggle a bit. Morgan didn’t exactly have to place a ball super accurate for Johnson or Bateman to snag it. I think Morgan is probably the most overrated player in the Big ten. If Bateman comes back that’s huge for them. 

11 minutes ago, Decked said:

I really think that without Bateman/Johnson/smith that Minny could struggle a bit. Morgan didn’t exactly have to place a ball super accurate for Johnson or Bateman to snag it. I think Morgan is probably the most overrated player in the Big ten. If Bateman comes back that’s huge for them. 

I'm hesitant to say this because my last big "he's overrated!" rant was about Zack Baun before last year, and turns our he was an All-American. But I agree, I think Morgan is solid but unspectacular. Fleck's got a good scheme, and the combination of Johnson across the middle, Bateman deep, and 3 good running backs/giant offensive line wearing people down was lethal.

But I think Morgan is a point guard, and the positions around him have a lot more questions than last year. Even if Bateman can play - the signing with an agent figures to be an obstacle, but maybe the Big Ten 'this will not be revisited' statement can buy these guys some leniency when it was in fact revisited - it's similar to us losing Stanley Morgan and Ozigbo last year in my mind. JD still got his, and Bateman will as well, but the offense as whole won't take a step forward unless other receivers step up.

4 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I'm hesitant to say this because my last big "he's overrated!" rant was about Zack Baun before last year, and turns our he was an All-American. But I agree, I think Morgan is solid but unspectacular. Fleck's got a good scheme, and the combination of Johnson across the middle, Bateman deep, and 3 good running backs/giant offensive line wearing people down was lethal.

But I think Morgan is a point guard, and the positions around him have a lot more questions than last year. Even if Bateman can play - the signing with an agent figures to be an obstacle, but maybe the Big Ten 'this will not be revisited' statement can buy these guys some leniency when it was in fact revisited - it's similar to us losing Stanley Morgan and Ozigbo last year in my mind. JD still got his, and Bateman will as well, but the offense as whole won't take a step forward unless other receivers step up.

If Bateman comes back they have a solid 1 & 2 with Autman-Bell. They will be able to run the football with Ibrahim. If he’s not returning they may be fairly one dimensional. I think Minny is at serious risk of taking a step back. 

25 minutes ago, Treand3 said:

Truth of the matter is whether he comes back ot not, he wasnt what killed us last season. Its was our back 7's inability to properly run fit and tackle.

You nailed it for sure. There were some stretch running plays they ran where our guys looked like a JV team that hadn't even been practicing.

*Edit: Although I'll say also that our offensive line was terrible in that game, too. Our left guard got pancaked on one play. Vedral didn't have any time to throw the ball at all.

1 hour ago, Undone said:

You nailed it for sure. There were some stretch running plays they ran where our guys looked like a JV team that hadn't even been practicing.

*Edit: Although I'll say also that our offensive line was terrible in that game, too. Our left guard got pancaked on one play. Vedral didn't have any time to throw the ball at all.

It was pathetic. Barry, Davis and Miller had an awful game. The DBs got drug got multiple yards once the RB made contact.

Yep the OL was bad and was made by Minnesota's front 7 where they have to replace nearly all of it.

1 hour ago, Decked said:

If Bateman comes back they have a solid 1 & 2 with Autman-Bell. They will be able to run the football with Ibrahim. If he’s not returning they may be fairly one dimensional. I think Minny is at serious risk of taking a step back. 

He looked better to me as a freshman, I'm not totally sold. And I think a lot of their running game effectiveness had to do with having 3 guys - they were always fresh. Ibrahim is very good, I don't think they'll fall off a cliff or anything. But I could see a similar running game that maybe can't wear people down quite as well (Ibrahim isn't a bruiser), and a step back in the passing game. Of course their freshamn RB could be a stud rotation with Ibrahim, Autman-Bell could take a step along with any of their young receivers and I'll look like a complete idiot. 

4 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

He looked better to me as a freshman, I'm not totally sold. And I think a lot of their running game effectiveness had to do with having 3 guys - they were always fresh. Ibrahim is very good, I don't think they'll fall off a cliff or anything. But I could see a similar running game that maybe can't wear people down quite as well (Ibrahim isn't a bruiser), and a step back in the passing game. Of course their freshamn RB could be a stud rotation with Ibrahim, Autman-Bell could take a step along with any of their young receivers and I'll look like a complete idiot. 

Do you happen to know where their offensive line is at in terms of graduating guys? I have no line on that at all.

• Mavric changed the title to ** 2020 Opponent Previews : Minnesota (Game 8) **