** 2020 Husker Previews: CFN - Nebraska Schedule Breakdown & Prediction ** **

Saunders

CollegeFootballNews: Nebraska Schedule Breakdown & Predictions

Best Case Scenario

10-2: This is this year’s Minnesota helped by a light and breezy schedule – to a point – over the first seven games. The Huskers beat Cincinnati, roll though the start of the Big Ten schedule, and then don’t completely collapse in the back half run of four road games in five weeks before dealing with the Gophers. They win two of the four games against at Ohio State, Penn State, at Iowa and at Wisconsin, and take down Minnesota in the regular season finale.

Worst Case Scenario

6-6: The Huskers stumble out of the gate against Purdue, lose to Cincinnati, and drop the road date at Northwestern for a 2-3 start. Realistically, they’re not going to start worse than 4-3 with this slate, however, the back half is a bear. In a total nightmare scenario, they lost their last five games. More realistically in a bad way, they end up losing at least three of their last five.

https://collegefootballnews.com/2020/01/nebraska-football-schedule-2020-prediction-breakdown-analysis

• Plus1 2

Best case would be a miracle frankly so less than a 10% chance imo.   Worst case will be about like we been seeing at 5-7 imo at about  10% too.  

Most likely at 7-5 or 8-4 plus a win in a mid level bowl.  9 wins is about 50% shot !   after the last 6 seasons that will be welcome big time and jump start the Frost program at long last! 

• Plus1 3

Those first 7 games should give this year's Huskers some confidence.  I'll be surprised if we go into the tOSU game with more than one loss.  The last five games will be ...  challenging.  

We could easily go 8-4 with this schedule.  Maybe better!   GBR!   (Then again, that's pretty much what I thought last year.)

• 1 month later...

Without spring ball, the chances for meaningful improvement are reduced seriously.  Teams with lots of returning starters will have a big edge this fall (assuming there is a season to play).  

Another possible scenario would be to delay season start until Oct 1 to allow fall practice to start 9-1 and shorten the season to 8 games for example.  

These really hurt Neb more than some due to schedule with our most difficult games still on schedule and elimination of the more winnable (home) ones. 

We lose the spring practices for our early enrolled frosh.  We lose our recruiting momentum and the visit ops are greatly reduced too. 

jn my view this will set us back perhaps half a class.   

1 hour ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Without spring ball, the chances for meaningful improvement are reduced seriously.  Teams with lots of returning starters will have a big edge this fall (assuming there is a season to play).  

Another possible scenario would be to delay season start until Oct 1 to allow fall practice to start 9-1 and shorten the season to 8 games for example.  

These really hurt Neb more than some due to schedule with our most difficult games still on schedule and elimination of the more winnable (home) ones. 

We lose the spring practices for our early enrolled frosh.  We lose our recruiting momentum and the visit ops are greatly reduced too. 

jn my view this will set us back perhaps half a class.   

Weren't you just talking about panic and overreaction about the virus in another thread?

I bet they'd move spring ball to summer ball if possible.  If they cancel games,  it'll be all of them.  I don't envision a scenario where they play 6, 8 e.t.c.  Recruiting will be fine if they can win games before signing day in December.  Kids will still make it to campus when the NCAA allows it again.  This affects everyone, not just Nebraska.

6 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Weren't you just talking about panic and overreaction about the virus in another thread?

I bet they'd move spring ball to summer ball if possible.  If they cancel games,  it'll be all of them.  I don't envision a scenario where they play 6, 8 e.t.c.  Recruiting will be fine if they can win games before signing day in December.  Kids will still make it to campus when the NCAA allows it again.  This affects everyone, not just Nebraska.

From a recruiting perspective, this does put some schools (like Nebraska) who rely on getting kids on campus at a disadvantage. Someone called it out in another thread - recruiting bans and missed games don't hurt schools like Ohio St, Michigan, Penn St. 

35 minutes ago, Atbone95 said:

From a recruiting perspective, this does put some schools (like Nebraska) who rely on getting kids on campus at a disadvantage. Someone called it out in another thread - recruiting bans and missed games don't hurt schools like Ohio St, Michigan, Penn St. 

I don't necessarily agree with that, unless there is no time at all for visits.  If there is some summer time session available to recruit, and a full season played,  then there is time to get kids on campus still.  If those things are cancelled as well, I would imagine dates get pushed back by the NCAA to accommodate this concern.