ESPN - 2020 preseason college football FPI breakdown

Saunders

Four schools -- Tennessee, Nebraska, Florida State and Virginia Tech -- are in the preseason top 25 after ranking outside the top 30 in FPI last season. Texas and Texas A&M are both in the top 10 after finishing 19th and 20th last season.r666651_619x348_16-9.png&w=570&format=jp

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/28708116/2020-preseason-college-football-fpi-breakdown

Say it with me.... #TeamNoHype

But maybe......

image.gif.0e8625ae5165aa04694b0dff7e71874a.gif

• Plus1 5

Regardless of outcome, which would you rather have? Which is better for recruiting and our program?

A. The national media being positive towards Nebraska, still and expecting us to be good again?

B. The national media being negative towards Nebraska, expecting we won't be any good?

C. Nebraska being mostly irrelevant nationally. Losing more of whatever aura the program still has. At the same time being able to fly under the radar?

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, bhunt7 said:

Regardless of outcome, which would you rather have? Which is better for recruiting and our program?

A. The national media being positive towards Nebraska, still and expecting us to be good again?

B. The national media being negative towards Nebraska, expecting we won't be any good?

C. Nebraska being mostly irrelevant nationally. Losing more of whatever aura the program still has. At the same time being able to fly under the radar?

I'd say for once it would be nice to fly under the radar.  I do think we will be (for once) better than our fans expect at this point.  But we will miss Daniels on our DL.  

These FPI are calculating returning production + new player expectations.  We didn't lose much at all, of our statistical production from last year , which is why we rank so high in this.  But Daniels made a huge difference, even if it doesn't show up in the stats, especially with our defense and how DL in this scheme aren't gonna pile up stats.  

• Plus1 1

This isn't a Preseason ranking but rather just a measure of number of returning production and factoring in the potential of incoming recruits.  It's not telling us anything most of us don't know.  We have a lot of returning players and we have recruited well.  No hype at all imo, just stating the facts.

• Plus1 3
22 minutes ago, lo country said:

Bottom line, even the national folks want NU back.  It's not just the fans of the Huskers......Frost and Co just gotta earn and prove it.  

This is true.  As much as some of us claim hate on ESPN etc, (and that Gameday against OSU did seem like a setup), but we have been one of the most OVERRATED programs in the past 20 years.  We consistently get rated preseason top 25, and have done nothing to earn it.  The blame does not fall on the media in our case.  It falls on us.  Just do SOMETHING for once.  Who have we beaten , even in one single game in the past 18 years!  An over-rated Michigan State? Is that it....in 18 freakin years??

Nebraska fans desperately want something to cheer for.  We want some hope...we honestly haven't been given any by our beloved team.  Everyone beats a good team every now and then, even Illinois, yet we haven't.  Part of that is due to our overrated prestige...noone overlooks us, like they do an Illinois or a Maryland.  Yet we have been not much better than anyone.  It would be nice to beat a top 15 team for once.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, bhunt7 said:

I'm not going to disregard outcome, because it's ultimately the only thing that matters.   So I'd prefer B.  There's maybe no greater motivator than B.

13 hours ago, bhunt7 said:

I'd pick #1.

Surviving the 70's teams, and pretty much being conditioned to Osborne not being able to win the big one probably gave me somewhat of a Helsinki Syndrome thing, and more willing to keep getting my hopes up...Then the possibility of my emotions crashing hard each season..has been my way of EARNING my bandwagon fandom.

It was easier then, because we always seemed to be in the hunt, And our coaches exhibited a strong ability to get the most out of our talent, and to make game time adjustments better than anyone else.  Those were the hardest things to get used to starting with Calihan and everyone since.

Our recruiting might be helped a little if they think we're so bad that they can play right away, but the best players think they can contribute no matter how good we really are...Since we haven't been relevant in these kids' lifetimes, a national media putting the brand out there might be crucial.

2 hours ago, HUSKER 37 said:

I'd pick #1.

Surviving the 70's teams, and pretty much being conditioned to Osborne not being able to win the big one probably gave me somewhat of a Helsinki Syndrome thing, and more willing to keep getting my hopes up...Then the possibility of my emotions crashing hard each season..has been my way of EARNING my bandwagon fandom.

It was easier then, because we always seemed to be in the hunt, And our coaches exhibited a strong ability to get the most out of our talent, and to make game time adjustments better than anyone else.  Those were the hardest things to get used to starting with Calihan and everyone since.

Our recruiting might be helped a little if they think we're so bad that they can play right away, but the best players think they can contribute no matter how good we really are...Since we haven't been relevant in these kids' lifetimes, a national media putting the brand out there might be crucial.

Die hard got it wrong FYI... :)

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

Again, the FPI has absolutely nothing to do with national media.  Here is all the information one needs to understand it;

https://www.espn.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/122612/an-inside-look-at-college-fpi

Historically the FPI was been reasonably accurate at predicting a teams performance but the least accurate version is the pre-season one.  Take it for what it is - off season clickbait.  

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1