ESPN - 2020 preseason college football FPI breakdown

Saunders

5 hours ago, Hilltop said:

Again, the FPI has absolutely nothing to do with national media.  Here is all the information one needs to understand it;

https://www.espn.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/122612/an-inside-look-at-college-fpi

Historically the FPI was been reasonably accurate at predicting a teams performance but the least accurate version is the pre-season one.  Take it for what it is - off season clickbait.  

Yea we kinda jumped from the FPI duscussion, to a discussion on how we would like to be portrayed in the media.  Id like to be portayed as a program with an aura in the long run.  But for this season , and maybe for a couple more, I just think it would be nice to fly under the radar.  I might get my wish, as FINALLY people are starting to think Nebraska will never be back and Scott wont get them back.  Which is great, cause that is when we strike, and thats when our redemption story gets taken to a new level.  If they dont know its coming, our opponents wont be as prepared for it, and by the time they try to stop this Frost machine from taking their recruits and whooping their a$$...it will be too late.  Gotta start happening over the next 2 years though, or it will be too late for us also.  There is this small window with the perfect time to strike, and it is when the guys who are currently too good for us, overlook us, and before we are so overlooked by everyone that we cant get enough recruits to climb back to the top.  These next 2 years are that window.  Weve done perfect at setting our opponents up for the shocker.  But if Frost can't start striking now (next 2 years), i think Frost won't ever get it done here at Nebraska.  And i think if Frost fails, Nebraska football will probably never get to the level we want (top 10 with occasional playoff births).  If Frost fails i think our new CEILING is Iowa/Wisconsin level).  We need to improve quite a bit this year , and give em the shocker in 21', which i believe we will if we show solid improvement this year.

We will be better this year and the gradual ascension to perennial top ten begins.    Id say it takes about 4 years to get there  - id guess our ranking might come in as follows:

2020 - #32

2021 - #25

2022 - #18

2023 - #10 

Sadly many fans wont be happy with this pace and will lose any remaining patience for Frost.   This season is the most critcal for Frost  longevity so having the schedule be extra tough comes at a bad time.   The pressure is immense no doubt and despite the fairly wide spread discounting and professed low expectations.  Even Frost has cut back on the bravado and rather bold commentary of years 1 & 2.  I dont think this will help buy Frost more time and hopefully it does not send a negative message to the players.  they need all the confidence they can muster backed by harder work

and more reps.  

• Fire 1
14 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

We will be better this year and the gradual ascension to perennial top ten begins.    Id say it takes about 4 years to get there  - id guess our ranking might come in as follows:

2020 - #32

2021 - #25

2022 - #18

2023 - #10 

Sadly many fans wont be happy with this pace and will lose any remaining patience for Frost.   This season is the most critcal for Frost  longevity so having the schedule be extra tough comes at a bad time.   The pressure is immense no doubt and despite the fairly wide spread discounting and professed low expectations.  Even Frost has cut back on the bravado and rather bold commentary of years 1 & 2.  I dont think this will help buy Frost more time and hopefully it does not send a negative message to the players.  they need all the confidence they can muster backed by harder work

and more reps.  

Should have made it #11 in 2023 and I would have believed your model 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

After a couple of years guzzling the Husker red kool-aid, I'm going try ease up to sipping this year.  It would be great to make a bowl game,  but to do that we'll need to go at least 6-1 in the seven.  Easier said than done.  We have yet to beat Purdue under Frost. Three others were bowl qualifiers (including an 11 win Cincinnati) and an FCS power in SDSU.  Now, we could steal a win or two in the last 5 games, but if we haven't already reached bowl eligibility by then it will be a struggle for a team that will no doubt be suffering in the self confidence department.

You can look at things objectively, while still being excited about your team.  You don't have to be scared of preseason hype, none of it matters except to fan egos.  Adjust your own expectations, you can be excited and still move on easily after losses. Learn to handle disappointment, it's a part of life.

Last year's schedule turned out a bit more difficult than expected in August,  5 of 7 losses were to top 35 teams in the FPI.  This year's may not prove as difficult as it seems, that happens every year. 

@84HuskerLaw

Frost isn't going anywhere,  he seat won't be getting hot no matter how this goes in 2020.  There shouldn't be overreactions this time as everyone,  except maybe for huskerboard zealots, should realize time has to be given.  As in 10 years + if Frost wants to be here.   If he doesn't get it done,  I doubt it happens again as only a rising coach would come after 25 or 30 years since the last title and turn NU into a stepping stone. I would expect the support to dry up if there's another failure, especially with the home grown savior.

We all hope it happens,  but it may not.  Oh well, life goes on.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, runningblind said:

You can look at things objectively, while still being excited about your team.  You don't have to be scared of preseason hype, none of it matters except to fan egos.  Adjust your own expectations, you can be excited and still move on easily after losses. Learn to handle disappointment, it's a part of life.

Last year's schedule turned out a bit more difficult than expected in August,  5 of 7 losses were to top 35 teams in the FPI.  This year's may not prove as difficult as it seems, that happens every year. 

@84HuskerLaw

Frost isn't going anywhere,  he seat won't be getting hot no matter how this goes in 2020.  There shouldn't be overreactions this time as everyone,  except maybe for huskerboard zealots, should realize time has to be given.  As in 10 years + if Frost wants to be here.   If he doesn't get it done,  I doubt it happens again as only a rising coach would come after 25 or 30 years since the last title and turn NU into a stepping stone. I would expect the support to dry up if there's another failure, especially with the home grown savior.

We all hope it happens,  but it may not.  Oh well, life goes on.

Agree with most of your post. But i do believe that preseason hype/expectations have an effect on more than just fans.  I believe there is a mental/emotional advantage to being an underdog, and to having low expectations from the outside (not low expectations of yourself).  For one, teams and players often play to their competition to some degree.  If your rated and the world thinks your good, the opponent is more likely to be focused and ready to give it their all.  2nd of all, if your not supposed to win, there is less pressure on yourself.  In sports like football and basketball this slight edge can make a huge difference.  And plays into how their can be such big upsets in both basketball and football.  It's an advantage for SDSU against us, or Appalachian State against Michigan.  Its also why Dabo always , literally always, tries to reinforce how Clemson is just lil old Clemson, and an underdog.  And why he is always talking about how noone expects them to win , when literally most people expect them to win.

Also, i'm not sure @84HuskerLaw was saying Frost would be gone if he doesn't do well this year or next.  I believe he was just saying that if Frost doesnt do much better next year, it is likely that he wont ever do as well as we hoped.  As having another season with no improvement would be an indicator that Frost just isn't the guy right now, and wont all of a sudden turn into that guy within 5 more years.  I think we agree that this season will say quite a bit about Frost and where this is going.  

On 2/18/2020 at 4:24 AM, HUSKER 37 said:

I'd pick #1.

Surviving the 70's teams, and pretty much being conditioned to Osborne not being able to win the big one probably gave me somewhat of a Helsinki Syndrome thing, and more willing to keep getting my hopes up...Then the possibility of my emotions crashing hard each season..has been my way of EARNING my bandwagon fandom.

It was easier then, because we always seemed to be in the hunt, And our coaches exhibited a strong ability to get the most out of our talent, and to make game time adjustments better than anyone else.  Those were the hardest things to get used to starting with Calihan and everyone since.

Our recruiting might be helped a little if they think we're so bad that they can play right away, but the best players think they can contribute no matter how good we really are...Since we haven't been relevant in these kids' lifetimes, a national media putting the brand out there might be crucial.

On 2/18/2020 at 7:10 AM, bugeater17 said:

Die hard got it wrong FYI... :)

Yeah...Everyone knows it's in the country of Amsterdam..Which coincidentally is where my niece and her husband have been living for the past year and a half.

:laughpound