***Official 2020 College Football Thread***

suh_fan93

22 hours ago, admo said:

It's tough to say, probably OU since they won their championship game. It doesn't matter if you lose 2 anymore.  It matters if you win, if you have firepower, and if you are a hot team going into post season.  I'm not against ND.  I am against a team that loses their conference game and gets in ORRR doesn't play in a conference game and still gets in.  Alabama has done both of those (one being a championship game after losing it). And now ND did the same (lost but got in).  The committee is bonkers.  Let's be fair and give someone else a chance.  Don't make us accept it (their decision) for the sake of a brand name.

OU was definitely clicking at the right time. However, that loss to K-State did them no favors in the end. If they only lose 1 they are in. They dominated Florida, but the game would have been closer without the injuries and opt outs. OU would have still won by about 10 or so points.

Texas a&m would get dominated and even Cincy would too. Oklahoma would have competed the best with Bama but still lost. So again, it really did not matter because 4 was a sacrifice to whoever runs into the 1 seed. It is almost becoming like a 2 vs 15 in basketball where the better team wins with a few exceptions. The teams that have won as 4 seeds are Ohio State and Alabama where these programs are already elite. 

I say expand to 8. Yes, the eight seed would get clobbered this year, but it allows for the regular season to matter. This gives g5 teams a seat at the table as well. 

On 1/4/2021 at 9:37 AM, jaws said:

P5 conference champions (I don't care about the record) get in along with at least 1 G5 team. It deceases that complaining and politics of all this. Why are we still having this discussion about "all the regular season games should matter"? They obviously don't now. 

Just in case you missed this....

SEC Shorts - Notre Dame joins Playoff Failure Club - YouTube

the regular season was diluted with the invention of the college football playoff. Once fatal slip-ups are now granted a mulligan so the 1-loss team can still win her way to the national title.  Compare USC losing at Oregon State to Clemson losing to Syracuse.  Doubling the playoff to 8 teams as you seem to be advocating grants everyone two mulligans.  Just win your conference OR be higher than the SEC#3.  AT that point I'd say the regular season is effectively irrelevant to 95% of the games.

• Plus1 1

52 minutes ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

the regular season was diluted with the invention of the college football playoff. Once fatal slip-ups are now granted a mulligan so the 1-loss team can still win her way to the national title.  Compare USC losing at Oregon State to Clemson losing to Syracuse.  Doubling the playoff to 8 teams as you seem to be advocating grants everyone two mulligans.  Just win your conference OR be higher than the SEC#3.  AT that point I'd say the regular season is effectively irrelevant to 95% of the games.

The regular season was and is irrelevant for most of college football teams. You only want it to be relevant for at most 10 teams every year since I can only assume you think ND is one of those teams. The fact that we have a system that is political that doesn't allow teams like Cincinnati or UCF play for a national championship only keeps the old guard at the top. Play 11 regular season games plus a conference championship game and have an expanded playoff. I am sorry if you think giving up a FCS school somehow dilutes the regular season or if a team loses a game. We don't have to act like it is 1955 and the bowl system really matters. Let these schools actually play for a walnut and bronze trophy. You don't get this type of complaining in any other NCAA sport at any level. 

Who wants to see a D1 FBS version of these brackets?

2019 FCS Football Official Bracket | NCAA.com

2019 Division II Football Official Bracket | NCAA.com

2019 Division III Football Official Bracket | NCAA.com

3 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

Oh oh.  Hope they (OSU) can get this squared away.

I am sure they have positive test for the past 6 weeks. However, they have been practicing the last two days. I assume they wouldn't bring in the team in to the Woody if they didn't plan on playing on the 11th. 

1 hour ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

This is often claimed but holds very little weight.

There were one-loss teams that played for and won national championships before the playoff.

There were undefeated teams that didn't even get a chance to play for a national championship before the playoff.

Alabama didn't even win it's division one year before the playoff and still got to play for the national championship.  That is the definition of a meaningless regular season game.

And on top of all that, there isn't nearly enough common opponents and too significant of differences in strength of schedule to say with any degree of certainty who the best teams are based solely on the regular season.

Which games did Notre Dame not care about as much this year because the regular season was diluted?

Which games did you not care if Notre Dame lost this year because the regular season was diluted?

3 hours ago, Mavric said:

This is often claimed but holds very little weight.

There were one-loss teams that played for and won national championships before the playoff.

There were undefeated teams that didn't even get a chance to play for a national championship before the playoff.

Alabama didn't even win it's division one year before the playoff and still got to play for the national championship.  That is the definition of a meaningless regular season game.

And on top of all that, there isn't nearly enough common opponents and too significant of differences in strength of schedule to say with any degree of certainty who the best teams are based solely on the regular season.

Which games did Notre Dame not care about as much this year because the regular season was diluted?

Which games did you not care if Notre Dame lost this year because the regular season was diluted?

And now there is more 1 loss teams getting a mulligan.  The only thing the playoff 'fixed' was an undefeated power 5 team will always get a chance to win her way.  So no repeats of 1997.  At the cost of the weight of games.  Bama could have rested their starters against Florida and still been guaranteed their playoff slot.  Bama did not have that luxury before.

33 minutes ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

And now there is more 1 loss teams getting a mulligan.  The only thing the playoff 'fixed' was an undefeated power 5 team will always get a chance to win her way.  So no repeats of 1997.  At the cost of the weight of games.  Bama could have rested their starters against Florida and still been guaranteed their playoff slot.  Bama did not have that luxury before.

Before week 1 ~50% (65 G5 teams) of the team in FBS do not have a shot at the playoffs. After week one ~25% of the P5 teams don't have a shot at the playoffs. But please, tell me how much the regular season matters and how meaningless it would be if everyone had an actual shot to make it to the playoffs at the start of the season. The bowls outside of the playoff don't mean anything now (never really did) and players are opting out. Just wait until that starts happening in the regular season in a non covid year. I would rather have a Cincinnati vs Tulsa game actually mean something and I am sure those schools would like that as well. The bowl system and mythical national championship was dumb and political from the start. We don't need to continue on with this stupidity. 

3 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

Bama lost to LSU in the regular season in 2009 and that arguably gave them an easier road to the national championship game because they didn't have to play in the CCG.

Are you going to answer the questions above?