247 Looks at the 2016 and 2017 Recruiting Classes

Mavric

247 has run articles on the "hit rate" of the 2016 and 2017 recruiting classes.  The 2016 article is hereThe 2017 article is behind the pay wall at the moment.

But here's how they assessed those classes by position group.  Some still have a chance to move into the "hit" column.  I shuffled a few into the position they are currently playing.

QB - 2016: 0/1 (O'Brien); 2017: 0/1 (Gebbia) - 0/2 overall

RB - 2016: 0/1 (Bryant); 2017: 0/2 (Bradley, Miles) - 0/3 overall

WR - 2016: 1/2 (Spielman, Grim); 2017: 0/3 (Lindsey, KJJ, McQuitty) - 1/5 overall

TE - 2016: 1/2 (Stoll, Engelhaupt); 2017: 1/2 (Allen, Rafdal) - 2/4 overall

OL - 2016: 2/4 (Farniok, Raridon, Brokop, Wilson); 2017: 1/3 (Jaimes, Sichterman, Bando) - 3/7 overall

Offense - 2016: 4/10; 2017: 2/11 - 6/21 overall

DL - 2016: 1/1 (Stille); 2017: 2/5 (Thomas, Daniels, Thomas, Watts, Walker) - 3/6 overall

LB - 2016: 2/5 (Alexander, Miller, Jefferson, Simmons, Domann); 2017: 0/3 (Roberts, Hampton, Ward) - 2/8 overall

DB - 2016: 3/4 (Jackson, Dismuke, Bulter, Bootle); 2017: 0/1 (Blades) - 3/5 overall

P - 2016: 0/1 (Lightbourn)

Defense - 2016: 6/11; 2017: 2/9 - 8/20 overall

TOTAL - 2016: 10/21; 2017: 4/20 - 14/41 overall

Take-aways:

1/10 overall on offensive skill guys

2/8 on linebackers

2017 has produced a grand total of two hits on offense and two hits on defense

• Plus1 3

1 hour ago, WyoHusker56 said:

How does that compare to other programs? Seems like a total mess and explains the last couple years.

You definitely wouldn't see this kind of thing in a normal big name program.  Too many misses not enough hits.  I can't even think of a team with that many misses and came out ahead.  We really shot ourselves in the foot hiring Riley.

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, WyoHusker56 said:

How does that compare to other programs? Seems like a total mess and explains the last couple years.

2016 actually isn't terrible.  50% is fairly normal.  Not sure if the best programs do better than that but that's fairly standard overall.

2017 was horrendous.

And neither was a particularly big class.  If 2016 was 25 instead of 21 that could/would be two more solid contributors.  Which would be pretty helpful, especially if they were at certain spots.

But the part where we really failed heavily at two spots that struggled last year - WR and LB - helps tell the story of why we struggled.  Plus our RB depth was poor.

• Plus1 6
  • Fire 1

0/1 (Bryant)

Eh, Bryant deserves at least half credit, even if he didn't make it long-term.

13 minutes ago, Mavric said:

But the part where we really failed heavily at two spots that struggled last year - WR and LB - helps tell the story of why we struggled.

I didn't need this article to tell me that - it's been painfully obvious. Frost has been trying to flip the roster, but it's been kind of an uneven job so far, leaving us painfully barren at a few spots.

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, Mavric said:

2016 actually isn't terrible.  50% is fairly normal.  Not sure if the best programs do better than that but that's fairly standard overall.

2017 was horrendous.

And neither was a particularly big class.  If 2016 was 25 instead of 21 that could/would be two more solid contributors.  Which would be pretty helpful, especially if they were at certain spots.

But the part where we really failed heavily at two spots that struggled last year - WR and LB - helps tell the story of why we struggled.  Plus our RB depth was poor.

Does the ''hit rate'' only include players still on the team or present contributors?

Maybe the 2017 class is only temporarily low.

3 hours ago, FearAmeer said:

Every time my friends from other states ask me why the Huskers have been so bad I direct them right to the 2016 and 2017 classes who would of been juniors/seniors this past year. 

The last couple Riley classes really messed us up.  Im not trying to blame Riley, i am just saying our current junior and senior classes are pretty poor because of it.  

• Plus1 1

59 minutes ago, Comish said:

What's wrong with blaming Riley??

He had good intentions but the system changed making some of his recruits obsolete.  If he had stayed, some of those guys may be "hits" since they were a fit for his system.  Reality is a rebuild every three years with a system change is bad for any class/classes of recruits at any program.  Riley wasn't good for Nebraska but he isn't the sole reason many of those guys aren't here now or aren't preforming.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Comish said:

What's wrong with blaming Riley??

Nothing really.  Just feel the guy meant well.  I don't hate Mike.  My point was our senior and most of our junior class is weak......

Doesn't mean Riley is evil, just means i wish people understood how little Frost had when he got here.

Point is , if we suck over the next 2 years slap me in the face and call me your dog.  But if we are great by 21' than let me slap you and call you my dog. Fair enough?  

26 minutes ago, BigPeterJ said:

Nothing really.  Just feel the guy meant well.  I don't hate Mike.  My point was our senior and most of our junior class is weak......

Doesn't mean Riley is evil, just means i wish people understood how little Frost had when he got here.

Point is , if we suck over the next 2 years slap me in the face and call me your dog.  But if we are great by 21' than let me slap you and call you my dog. Fair enough?  

• Haha 1