247sports projects the Top 10 offenses in 2020

NUance

18 minutes ago, Head Coach Scott Frost said:

I'm often on the pessimist side, but I think our offense will be amazing next year. Unfortunately, I think the defense will take a step or two back and we won't be a ton better overall.

I think our offense will be really good too, if our QB is good.  Bad QB play can ruin this offense.  Good QB play can make this offense, like it did at UCF with Milton.  Between Martinez and McCaffrey chances are one of them will be good. As long as we play whoever is, i like our offense for next year.  

Defensively, we will be a completely different team.  Not sure it will be better or worse than last year....but it will be different.  Last year we had a great DL, terrible LBs, and an average secondary.  This year our DL probably will be much weaker, but our LBs will be way faster, and our secondary probably about the same. 

Where as last year teams really struggled running the ball against us inside, but could pass all over us in the middle of the field.  Next year our pass defense should be much better with improved LB speed, but teams probably wont struggle as much running up the middle on us for 3-5 yards.  Our defense will be very young.  Probably alot better at the end of the year, than at the beginning.

This year could go either way.  I could see us anywhere between 5-7 and 9-3.  If we lose games early , the wheels could fall off.  If we win early, our young defense may be good enough by the end of the year to win some of those tough games.  If things go like i hope, next year will be like Minnesota was this year.  We barely get by beating average teams early in the year in some close games, build confidence and experience with our newcomers, and beat some really good teams at the end of the year. It's not like Minnesota, Wisconsin, or Iowa are OSU.  We can beat all 3 of them if we improve the way we potentially could.

• Plus1 1

I don't care about potential, wishes, hopes, fairy dust or anything the media prints and we all tend to swallow like chocolate milk.  Not a fan of kool aid and longer.  lol

Show me on the field, prove you are what you claim or want to be.  Then I will believe all this.

I think Frost is the right guy, but still feel we are a long ways from being competitive with the teams we need to be.

2 minutes ago, skersfan said:

I don't care about potential, wishes, hopes, fairy dust or anything the media prints and we all tend to swallow like chocolate milk.  Not a fan of kool aid and longer.  lol

Show me on the field, prove you are what you claim or want to be.  Then I will believe all this.

I think Frost is the right guy, but still feel we are a long ways from being competitive with the teams we need to be.

We are a long way... no doubt.  But not in terms of time.  We have been terrible, but it only takes a couple years to turn it around.  If a coach doesn't show signs of it by year 3 , it probably will never happen.  This year is huge.  Not that we have to be great this year, but we have to show signs of turning the program.  We need to go at least 7-5.

30 minutes ago, UniversalMartin said:

Have a serviceable kicker and that 5-7 goes to a minimum of 6-6 with a rz % around 85...our 5-7 was a bi product of poor D and a need to get in the zone as opposed to 3

I think this is spot on. Our kicker being injured absolutely killed us. We couldn’t kick the ball deep with any hang time at all, and any type of field goal was nerve racking and far from a sure thing. You change your play calling and an be more aggressive/less predictable when you have a good kicking game. 

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, BigPeterJ said:

I think our offense will be really good too, if our QB is good.  Bad QB play can ruin this offense.  Good QB play can make this offense, like it did at UCF with Milton.  Between Martinez and McCaffrey chances are one of them will be good. As long as we play whoever is, i like our offense for next year.  

Defensively, we will be a completely different team.  Not sure it will be better or worse than last year....but it will be different.  Last year we had a great DL, terrible LBs, and an average secondary.  This year our DL probably will be much weaker, but our LBs will be way faster, and our secondary probably about the same. 

Where as last year teams really struggled running the ball against us inside, but could pass all over us in the middle of the field.  Next year our pass defense should be much better with improved LB speed, but teams probably wont struggle as much running up the middle on us for 3-5 yards.  Our defense will be very young.  Probably alot better at the end of the year, than at the beginning.

This year could go either way.  I could see us anywhere between 5-7 and 9-3.  If we lose games early , the wheels could fall off.  If we win early, our young defense may be good enough by the end of the year to win some of those tough games.  If things go like i hope, next year will be like Minnesota was this year.  We barely get by beating average teams early in the year in some close games, build confidence and experience with our newcomers, and beat some really good teams at the end of the year. It's not like Minnesota, Wisconsin, or Iowa are OSU.  We can beat all 3 of them if we improve the way we potentially could.

Good post.  We'll need more than incremental improvements to achieve bowl eligibility next year.   We have a difficult schedule in 2020.  The keys as I see it and as you noted are how quickly we can gel on the OL, DL and LBs.  We'll need to make hay early in the season and perhaps "steal" a game or two over the last 5.

8 hours ago, BigPeterJ said:

I wonder why so many Husker fans keep forgetting about Vedral..Usually the 2nd stringer is everyone's favourite player.

I still think Martinez has the highest ceiling, but watching that video of the gazillion swing pass plays last season, NV seemed to be the most accurate of the three.

1 hour ago, HUSKER 37 said:

I wonder why so many Husker fans keep forgetting about Vedral..Usually the 2nd stringer is everyone's favourite player.

I still think Martinez has the highest ceiling, but watching that video of the gazillion swing pass plays last season, NV seemed to be the most accurate of the three.

I like Vedral too.  But Luke is the man.  Im calling it right now, Luke will be our starter at some point in his career...and when he is we will be salty.

8 hours ago, BigPeterJ said:

I honestly believe we will win at least 7 games.  If we don't i will be the most disappointed person on here, and will have lost faith in Frost.

It's year three, if we can't even manage OK there are issues that go past what was inherited from Riley and more changes need to be made. 

• Plus1 1

If Manning gets to campus and we find a QB, the offense will be unstoppable. The defense will be the same caliber, we basically will swap good groups and struggling groups so will be a wash and we will all hate Chinander again. Special teams will be better simply as a regression to the mean. Find a QB and a take the top off receiver and we will be a much improved team.

6 hours ago, HUSKER 37 said:

Everyone considers Luke QB2 right now.  Vedral started two games, and they feel like they know what they've got there.  Adrian has the most potential still, if he can get out of his own head and stay healthy.  The second part of that equation will largely depend on his supporting cast.  I hope Luke gets on the field a lot as well, however that can be made to happen.

Honestly I'd like to see McCaffrey change positions if Smothers is as good as I think he will be. Vedral is solid depth in the interim and Luke is too good of an athlete to leave on the sidelines if he gets buried on the QB depth chart.  If Martinez doesn't bounce back like I expect however,  then McCaffrey gets his chance in 2020.

• Fire 1