247sports projects the Top 10 offenses in 2020

NUance

4 hours ago, HUSKER 37 said:

Everyone?

Does that include Frost and Verduzco?

The thing possibly hurting Vedral is the fact that the coaches probably feel he won't transfer a 2nd time. So you can put him at QB3, but he's probably performed better than any backup qb we've had for over a decade.

I wonder if anyone has tried our offense with two QBs in shotgun...instead of a little RB behind the QB trying to catch the errant snap. Have them snap to Vedral on swing passes and 2AM or LM when we run something else...Probably resemble the I formation with enough separation so they don't have to call it.

Your question asked why Husker fans are forgetting about Vedral. I said everyone likes McCaffrey more.

Everyone = fans.

We won't have a depth chart for a while yet to see what the coaches think.

On 2/22/2020 at 2:04 AM, HUSKER 37 said:

I wonder why so many Husker fans keep forgetting about Vedral..Usually the 2nd stringer is everyone's favourite player.

I still think Martinez has the highest ceiling, but watching that video of the gazillion swing pass plays last season, NV seemed to be the most accurate of the three.

On 2/22/2020 at 8:57 AM, runningblind said:

Everyone considers Luke QB2 right now.  Vedral started two games, and they feel like they know what they've got there.  Adrian has the most potential still, if he can get out of his own head and stay healthy.  The second part of that equation will largely depend on his supporting cast.  I hope Luke gets on the field a lot as well, however that can be made to happen.

Honestly I'd like to see McCaffrey change positions if Smothers is as good as I think he will be. Vedral is solid depth in the interim and Luke is too good of an athlete to leave on the sidelines if he gets buried on the QB depth chart.  If Martinez doesn't bounce back like I expect however,  then McCaffrey gets his chance in 2020.

10 hours ago, HUSKER 37 said:

Everyone?

The thing possibly hurting Vedral is the fact that the coaches probably feel he won't transfer a 2nd time. So you can put him at QB3, but he's probably performed better than any backup qb we've had for over a decade.

I wonder if anyone has tried our offense with two QBs in shotgun...instead of a dinky little RB behind the QB trying to catch the errant snap. Have them snap to Vedral on swing passes and 2AM or LM when we run something else...Probably resemble the I formation with enough separation so they don't have to call it.

6 hours ago, runningblind said:

Your question asked why Husker fans are forgetting about Vedral. I said everyone likes McCaffrey more.

Everyone = fans.

We won't have a depth chart for a while yet to see what the coaches think.

Usually, I like to think I'm way too smart to use absolutes like ''everyone'' but if I can use it to help make a joke, I ''sometimes'' can't resist putting it in there. Either way, I sure hope we never get to the point where MANY of the loudest fans make decisions about starting lineups.

Not every fan I come into contact with in the real world would be what someone would consider ''the smartest'' or ''bestest'' football fans like Husker fans are s'posed to be, but I doubt many of the ones I'm close to, or related to would seriously think Luke is anything more than QB3 based on what we've seen so far.. I'm not saying he can't improve in a short time, and he does appear to give quite a few team mates a lift both times he came in. But I also think he and his family know enough about football and commitment to be patient.

Luke's 6'5'' older brother is more experienced and still might have trouble starting over some newer kid at Mechicken.

Redshirt junior Dylan McCaffrey has appeared in 10 career contests, and has completed 18 of 35 attempts (51.4 percent) for 242 yards and three touchdowns. He has also rushed for 166 yards and two scores on 23 carries (7.2-yard average). 

McCaffrey was supposedly going to be used as an in-game complement to Patterson throughout the entire 2019 campaign, but after a brief dalliance in Week 1, Michigan coaches played McCaffrey a single snap in Week 2 against Army. 

He only saw the field as a replacement for an ineffective Patterson against Wisconsin in Week 3, and after suffering a head injury in the second half that sidelined him for four games, McCaffrey was used as a traditional No. 2 the rest of the year. 

Redshirt sophomore Milton was promoted to backup in McCaffrey's absence but despite the fact that Michigan was out of the running for the Big Ten title as it entered November, neither QB saw the field in meaningful time, splitting a handful of second-string reps in the Notre Dame, Maryland and Michigan State games. 

U-M will enter its 2020 season opener at Washington with a relatively inexperienced quarterback whoever gets the nod, but predicting success or struggles is foolhardy because none of us really know what to expect from McCaffrey or Milton. 

The best-case scenario is McCaffrey is the mentally-strong, natural-born-leader he appeared to be as an injury-replacement for Patterson at Notre Dame in 2018. 

McCaffrey has shown to be an effective read-option runner and has made a few highlight-reel throws. But there's a reason he has completed barely better than 50.0 percent of his Michigan attempts, as he has forced throws, been inaccurate or misread coverages. He has also been injury prone, suffering serious injuries as a runner both in 2018 and 2019. 

Who is the real McCaffrey? With the starting job, can he smooth out the throwing ineffectiveness, rally the team around him with his swagger, make big plays with his arm and his legs, and stay healthy for an entire 13-game slate? Or is he an injury-prone, inaccurate quarterback that is best served as an energy, small-doses backup off the bench? 

• Plus1 1
13 hours ago, HUSKER 37 said:

Everyone?

I always find these thought processes interesting. 

Basically, what you’re saying is, Frost and Verduzco know Vedral is better but still have him at #3. 

Sorry, no. 

• Plus1 4