*** NFL 2020 ***

suh_fan93

1 hour ago, deedsker said:

This is a good piece to keep in mind. I hope the Jags return to relevance, but I am not holding my breath.

It would have been interesting to see what happens to Saban if Miami landed Drew Brees. Also, it would have been interesting if Rich Rod wouldn't have turned down Bama. Spurrier was never going to be successful in the NFL.

1 hour ago, jaws said:

It would have been interesting to see what happens to Saban if Miami landed Drew Brees. Also, it would have been interesting if Rich Rod wouldn't have turned down Bama. Spurrier was never going to be successful in the NFL.

College success =/ NFL success and vice versa. Jim Harbaugh is a good example the other way. From office/GM is just as important as coach and I am just as nervous/excited to see how that is handled. You can't be successful if you are tied down by poor roster management or bad contracts. It takes all these pieces to maintain success in the NFL.

I think he'll be fine - he's good at surrounding himself with other good coaches, and that's critical in the NFL. I'd just be worried about him flaming out again - they're set up with a lot of talent for a team picking 1st overall. Two first rounds picks and two seconds, and they're good second rounders too - all top-45 picks. A lot of interesting (if inconsistent) receivers. Add Lawrence and some other young talent, and they should have a pretty significant jump next year.

I could see a jump, but I am not expecting anything over .500. Then we get into maintaining talent by having young talent on rookie contracts, negotiating salary of veteran players and making sure their value versus their cost is worthy of retention or marginal utility is replaceable, and attracting the right type of players to fit your system. Most of this is done by someone who isn't on the coaching staff and has to coordinate all these ideas with what a coach wants/schemes for. Urban could be the greatest coach, with the best staff and the Jags could still stiff him with terrible management. Just look at Coughlin and the dismantling of the 2017 defense. Jacksonville is good at messing things up. I am hoping this is a step in the right direction, but Meyer hasn't exactly lasted too long anywhere he has went.