The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

10 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

96 million is just about 30% of the US population...

South Korea, which was the largest outbreak hit after China, is on the downhill slide. They have reported a total of 7,300 cases and 50 deaths.They have a population of 52 million. There are 350 million folks in the US, or seven times SKorea....so this pandemic is going to exponentially hit us here but not elsewhere?

South Korea has drive through testing and real time updates telling their citizens where the latest positive tested person had recently spent time. They also have universal health care so there likely aren’t many people there who are reluctant to check themselves in when they have symptoms. Maybe the outbreak here won’t be as bad as 1/3 of the population but there are many reasons to think it will be worse here than there. I can tell you I would be afraid to go to the hospital if I developed symptoms right now. I don’t have a lot of faith that I wouldn’t be out thousands of dollars. 

There will be a lot of people who won’t go until their condition is bad and by that time they’ve infected others. 

• Plus1 4

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

480,000 deaths from this is staggering. Let's hope that's a worst-case-scenario. If not, we're all going to lose loved ones or acquaintances.

Some US comparisons:

The 1918 Spanish Flu - 70,000 deaths

World War II - 407,000

World War I - 116,000

My stats all have the U.S. suffering close to 500,000 deaths from the 1918 Spanish Flu (out of a much smaller population), with a worldwide death toll as high as 50 million. 

World War I really brought a lot of people together. Then sent them home.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

96 million is just about 30% of the US population...

South Korea, which was the largest outbreak hit after China, is on the downhill slide. They have reported a total of 7,300 cases and 50 deaths.They have a population of 52 million. There are 350 million folks in the US, or seven times SKorea....so this pandemic is going to exponentially hit us here but not elsewhere?

The 96 million number seems odd to me. That’s double to triple the amount of Flu cases the US has annually. 62 million common cold cases per year. Why is this going to be more common than the flu or the cold? 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

The 96 million number seems odd to me. That’s double to triple the amount of Flu cases the US has annually. 62 million common cold cases per year. Why is this going to be more common than the flu or the cold? 

We have developed immunity and vaccines for the flu. We don’t have immunity to coronavirus. 

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

My stats all have the U.S. suffering close to 500,000 deaths from the 1918 Spanish Flu (out of a much smaller population), with a worldwide death toll as high as 50 million. 

Yeah, that's weird. I'm not sure where I pulled that number. The CDC says 675,000 deaths.

The number of deaths was estimated to be at least 50 million worldwide with about 675,000 occurring in the United States.

Suddenly the site won't let me embed a link.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/1918-pandemic-h1n1.html

6 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

South Korea has drive through testing and real time updates telling their citizens where the latest positive tested person had recently spent time. They also have universal health care so there likely aren’t many people there who are reluctant to check themselves in when they have symptoms. Maybe the outbreak here won’t be as bad as 1/3 of the population but there are many reasons to think it will be worse here than there. I can tell you I would be afraid to go to the hospital if I developed symptoms right now. I don’t have a lot of faith that I wouldn’t be out thousands of dollars. 

All of this. Lack of universal health care, lack of job security, lack of faith that people will keep their jobs if they stay home, fear of failure to pay bills - all of this contributes to a population who won't stay home when sick. That infects more people, and the cycle continues.

• Plus1 2
57 minutes ago, sho said:

Co-worker just came in my office about 20 minutes ago and said that a student had traveled to Italy earlier this year and has, of today, tested positive.  She was upset because said student was in her child's class.  Which of course means she's probably been exposed, as have I and my kids.  Which, if that transitive property is true on how easy it is to spread the virus, Bellevue has now been exposed.

I’d be curious to know how the parent would know.  We have several students in quarantine, but to our knowledge no positive cases yet.  Not saying your coworker is wrong, but an announcement didn’t come from our district.  

Story time, we had a district youth wrestling event in Fremont on Saturday. Right as the first session was wrapping up, confusion set in as rumors started flying that the place was being evacuated. No one knew why. Soon, people were sprinting out of the building, some covering their mouths. Come to find out the patient in quarantine from Omaha had been there the week before. Rumor is those behind districts were aware but decided the risk was low and went forward with the tourney. Apparantly the CDC called and told them to shut down. This, after all the morning session wrestlers and families had been in the building wrestling for more than 3 hours. 

Fast forward to Sunday mid-afternoon, my 7 year old wrestler starts to lose his voice and start coughing. At 8:30 pm, he registers a fever of 100+. Knowing the likelihood of his exposure was slim to none, we suspect influenza as we had other children in our home that tested positive for type A in the last week/ week and half. So we give him Tylenol and send him to bed, with the intent to take him in and potentially get some tamaflu in the morning. 

Call in the morning to get a doc appointment. Because we were at the tournament we were unable to get an appointment until the case was reviewed by DHHS. After two different conversations with DHHS, we were able to get an appointment as the risk of Corona being the cause of my son's illness was low. My son tested negative for both Influenza A and B. We were told that he has some "viral infection" and to practice home care. He did not fit the profile for a Corona patient and so a test was not even considered, in spite of multiple possible exposures- Elkhorn Wrestling Tournament, Logan View Wrestling Tournament, Districts in Fremont, and more. 

He was cleared to go back to school and would be there today, had his fever not climbed back above 100 last night. 

Do I think he has Corona Virus? NOPE, but it would sure as heck be a lot smarter to completely rule it out before sending him back to school and to interact with grandparents, elderly teachers, and other students that could potentially become carriers as well. 

This is why this virus will spread and spread fast. The lack of testing may keep the "total number of cases" metric low, but it does nothing to protect the public from people who may have picked it up second hand. Volunteers from the Special Olympic event in Fremont and other participants are embedded throughout Northeast Nebraska, working as cooks in restaurants, student volunteers, etc. at this point no one truly knows the extent of exposure. 

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
43 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

World War I was a meat grinder war of attrition. I highly suggest the series "Blueprint for Armageddeon" from Dan Carlin's Hardcore History podcast--very informative and shows how unprepared the French and British were for the Germans and how walls of people had to pay the price for a stubborn adherence to military tradition...until they learned. 

31 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I’d be curious to know how the parent would know.  We have several students in quarantine, but to our knowledge no positive cases yet.  Not saying your coworker is wrong, but an announcement didn’t come from our district.  

From what she's saying, her daughter is telling her.   Nothing official from the district.

7 minutes ago, sho said:

From what she's saying, her daughter is telling her.   Nothing official from the district.

Yeah. Just talking to the kids yesterday, they had a hard time differentiating between “exposed” and “contracted”.  Again, it’s entirely possible, but I’d tell your coworker not to take it too seriously yet.

This is crazy. New Rochelle, NY is under quarantine, with a one-mile exclusion zone, set up by the NY Governor.

gBbPpTG.jpg

Schools and facilities will close for 2 weeks in this 1-mile containment area in a New York City suburb

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said a containment area will be set up in the city of New Rochelle as Westchester County works to stop the spread of coronavirus. Schools and facilities within will be closed for two weeks, and the National Guard will deploy to this area to help support the community.

Health Commissioner Dr. Howard Zuckersaid the area is a circle with a radius of about one mile.

Starting on Thursday, facilities and schools within the area will be closed for two weeks. The National Guard will help deliver food to homes and clean public spaces in the containment area, Cuomo said, describing the plan as a "dramatic action."

This will go on through March 25.

• Thanks 1