The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

55 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

We have developed immunity and vaccines for the flu. We don’t have immunity to coronavirus. 

Yes I'm aware, that number also includes multiple strains of flu and cold virus - 96 million still seems very high - my hunch would be if the number is that high, we would see a dip in the fatality rate, because it is much more widespread than we think.

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

South Korea has drive through testing and real time updates telling their citizens where the latest positive tested person had recently spent time. They also have universal health care so there likely aren’t many people there who are reluctant to check themselves in when they have symptoms. Maybe the outbreak here won’t be as bad as 1/3 of the population but there are many reasons to think it will be worse here than there.

South Korea is the best silver lining we have right now. Their fatality rate sits at 0.6% last I saw, and the biggest reason for that low number is they have done far more testing. Beyond that, it has been proven that younger people could have mild symptoms or no symptoms at all - if we included that suspected number in the fatality rate (which they do with the flu I believe) - it would bring that number down again. Again I don't want to downplay it, because it's something that should be taken very seriously, even in the best case scenario many Americans will die,  and we should be prepping for the worst and hoping for the best - just wanted to express there is reason for optimism. 

I'm going to horrifically sad if 96,000,000 Americans come down with this and the death rate stays high.  I suspect that's not going to happen but, the ONLY way that's not going to happen is if officials and the public be extremely proactive at containing this.  That is what we are seeing in some cases.  Sadly, many at the top of our government mocked the situation instead of taking it seriously from the start. Some of those same people still aren't taking it seriously.  

This is an appropriate attitude.

31 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Again I don't want to downplay it, because it's something that should be taken very seriously, even in the best case scenario many Americans will die,  and we should be prepping for the worst and hoping for the best - just wanted to express there is reason for optimism. 

We don't need to panic.  We DO need to pay attention and do as the officials (not the idiot in the Whitehouse) say.  

I personally have to take precautions.  I have been traveling a lot since the first of the year.  I just spent a week at a convention where I was around thousands of people from all across the country....and yes...shaking hands.  I have an elderly Mom and Dad.  I called them last night to tell them I won't be around to see them for a couple weeks.  

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

There are kits available by the millions in other countries. That Americans can't even get tested is a crime.

This is what has me worried. Coronavirus may not be something to be extremely worried about, but our response to it is. It shows how unprepared we are for a real pandemic.

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

This is what has me worried. Coronavirus may not be something to be extremely worried about, but our response to it is. It shows how unprepared we are for a real pandemic.

How come other countries are not sending us kits?  Lord knows that crazies in this country would be up in arms if we had them and were not sharing.

• Plus1 2
33 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

We don't need to panic.  We DO need to pay attention and do as the officials (not the idiot in the Whitehouse) say.  

I personally have to take precautions.  I have been traveling a lot since the first of the year.  I just spent a week at a convention where I was around thousands of people from all across the country....and yes...shaking hands.  I have an elderly Mom and Dad.  I called them last night to tell them I won't be around to see them for a couple weeks.  

Absolutely, I was worried my comments would be interpreted as an endorsement for how our govt has handled this - which is not the case. Right now containment is key, and to contain we need to test - and we aren’t testing. I’m in hospitals every day and things are getting more tense by the day. Screening is still minimal but I assume that’ll change very soon. 

15 minutes ago, teachercd said:

How come other countries are not sending us kits?  Lord knows that crazies in this country would be up in arms if we had them and were not sharing.

That answer seems to be the most common recently, Administration failure.

But neither the CDC nor the coronavirus task force chaired by Vice President Mike Pence would say who made the decision to forgo the WHO test and instead begin a protracted process of producing an American test, one that got delayed by manufacturing problems, possible lab contamination and logistical delays.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, QMany said:

No, I get that...but how come other countries are not rioting and protesting about this...how come they are not forcing their governments to share...like people would be doing here if it was reversed.  Seems odd.

18 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Absolutely, I was worried my comments would be interpreted as an endorsement for how our govt has handled this - which is not the case. Right now containment is key, and to contain we need to test - and we aren’t testing. I’m in hospitals every day and things are getting more tense by the day. Screening is still minimal but I assume that’ll change very soon. 

Here's a great thread on what china had to do to contain it.  Read the entire thing.  I have very little faith that Americans are willing to go to this length.  China is a "collectivist" culture.  We are not.  China is an authoritarian government.  We are not (even though Trump wishes we were).

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

Here's a great thread on what china had to do to contain it.  Read the entire thing.  I have very little faith that Americans are willing to go to this length.  China is a "collectivist" culture.  We are not.  China is an authoritarian government.  We are not (even though Trump wishes we were).

Yeah, they were literally locking people in their apartments.

19 minutes ago, QMany said:

GOT*AMNIT....We only use MADE IN "MERICA.

So....the administration that brags about deregulation and cutting red tape to "get things done" created red tape and regulation preventing the US from using an already developed test kit.

Priceless!!!!

12 minutes ago, teachercd said:

No, I get that...but how come other countries are not rioting and protesting about this...how come they are not forcing their governments to share...like people would be doing here if it was reversed.  Seems odd.

I'm not sure you do get it. 

What are they going to be protesting?  The administration's policy on using a different test?  It was stated in the article that the administration could have been using the World Health Organization (WHO) test this whole time but have chosen not to.  It's not because of a lack of available tests, there are tests available from WHO to use.  The administration won't do it.

• Plus1 1