The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

11 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I just hope this reacts similarly to other viruses in that, once you get it, you develop at least limited immunity to it. Because if not, we're going to be sick for the next year until this vaccine is developed.

So the expert I'm referencing says that our immune system will be what slows this down. He said it would be very unlikely to catch it twice so once we get to a point where alot of people have already been infected the virus will slow down because it will have less places to go.

3 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I just hope this reacts similarly to other viruses in that, once you get it, you develop at least limited immunity to it. Because if not, we're going to be sick for the next year until this vaccine is developed.

This will last another 3 months, maybe a few more after that in some places. The vaccine for flu doesn't do much either because strains are basically a guessing game. Young kids can get it but aren't really getting sick - just passing it along. You don't have to be over 70 and not healthy, but that is the majority of the severe cases. Gloves and masks don't work. You can get it through air particles. This virus is more deadly than other things listed in the past, but it isn't going to be catastrophic. 

Are most people overreacting? Yes. Should we be idiots and do nothing to contain it? No....People comparing numbers don't realize when you double things, it takes time. 8, 16, 32, 64, 128.....2,000 4,000, 8,000 16,000 32,000 etc. 

44 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I think we are about a week away from seeing a lot of closings!

Most Ohio colleges and universities are in the process of moving all classes online. OHSAA has basically made indoor events from here on out closed to fans (I think it is just parents and essential personnel). This is a big deal since the girls state tournament is this week and the boys state tournament is next week. k-12 schools are also starting to tell teachers to plan their remote strategies. 

It will be interesting to see what the NCAA does for the basketball tournament. First four games are in Dayton and the first and second rounds are in Cleveland. The MAC has already restricted attendance to their tournament in Cleveland. 

8 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I bet the people in countries with bidets think we are insane right now.

I've wanted to but one of the bidet toilet seats so bad to try them out but I'm worried I'll f#&% up the installation and have toilet water all over my bathrooms 

41 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

This will last another 3 months, maybe a few more after that in some places. The vaccine for flu doesn't do much either because strains are basically a guessing game. Young kids can get it but aren't really getting sick - just passing it along. You don't have to be over 70 and not healthy, but that is the majority of the severe cases. Gloves and masks don't work. You can get it through air particles. This virus is more deadly than other things listed in the past, but it isn't going to be catastrophic. 

Are most people overreacting? Yes. Should we be idiots and do nothing to contain it? No....People comparing numbers don't realize when you double things, it takes time. 8, 16, 32, 64, 128.....2,000 4,000, 8,000 16,000 32,000 etc. 

The bolded may be true but the problem with that is we really don't know how many cases we have right now. 1000 confirmed cases in US, but that number could be much higher due to lack of testing. The doubling time may be 6 days but we don't actually know what number is being doubled. My guess is it's much higher than 1000.

Also, from what I've gathered COVID may be more devastating in the US due to other factors that we deal with. Obesity is a risk factor for more severe symptoms and that is more of an issue here than in China

• Plus1 2
28 minutes ago, GSG said:

I've wanted to but one of the bidet toilet seats so bad to try them out but I'm worried I'll f#&% up the installation and have toilet water all over my bathrooms 

I had a cheap one for awhile and it was really nice but then a tube came undone and I heard water running and had about an inch of water on my floor. My goal in life is to have a real one when I get a house. 

No not contained. 

https://news.yahoo.com/u-fight-against-virus-enters-220243496.html

The U.S. has shifted into a new phase of its coronavirus response after efforts to stamp out sparks of an outbreak have failed. Authorities now are focusing on limiting damage.

For weeks, the biggest effect of the smattering of identified cases had been a mild sense of worry. That changed this week, with universities canceling classes, patients popping up in offices and nursing homes, and local authorities limited some public gatherings.

A fast-growing epidemic in Italy that’s overwhelmed hospitals and led to clampdowns on movement has added to the foreboding— proof that the virus was capable not just of bringing a city in China to a halt, but also staggering a major western urban center.

Robert Redfield, director of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said Tuesday that America had lost valuable time tracking the virus. Some regions now can merely try to cope with its spread rather than stop it, and hospitals are ill-prepared for a sudden influx of patients with Covid-19, as the disease it causes is called, he said. Now the U.S. is coming to grips with the fact that measures to subdue the coronavirus and protect the vulnerable will be disruptive and economically painful.

“In general, we’re in a containment, blended mitigation,” Redfield told Congress on Tuesday. “In some areas we’re in high mitigation.”

Test Problems

On Tuesday, President Donald Trump asserted again that the U.S. had done an excellent job testing for the disease, saying it “has gone very well.” The reality is that a troubled rollout of diagnostic kits consumed weeks and meant that local health labs had little ability to conduct wide surveillance of patients. That made the number of infections look far smaller than it likely was.

It also impeded the U.S.’s early efforts to contain the virus. The weeks of delays to get working tests meant that state and local health workers fell behind the transmission of the virus from person-to-person, hobbling attempts to identify and isolate patients. “If you’re a week late,” Redfield told Congress, “it matters.”

And the Band Played On  -- Trump's false assurances (underlined above) does nothing but harm the response to this crisis.  He is a failed leader.  His on going exaggerations/lies are beyond getting old and   tiresome, they are doing damage. 

maxresdefault.jpg

1 hour ago, GSG said:

I've been trying to install one in our house for years, but my wife won't let me. 

This comes how many weeks after the virus has impacted the country?

And he has to dispel misinformation from Trump & Pence first, before just doing his basic job?

How is this OK, Trump supporters?  Why aren't any of you brave enough to defend your guy?

• Plus1 2
Just now, knapplc said:

This comes how many weeks after the virus has impacted the country?

And he has to dispel misinformation from Trump & Pence first, before just doing his basic job?

How is this OK, Trump supporters?  Why aren't any of you brave enough to defend your guy?

If you think Trump has handled this well, then you’re flat wrong. He’s botched this from the beginning and Americans are going to die as a result. And this isn’t political talk, I hate Pete Ricketts, but his messaging and inclusion of UNMC was light years ahead of Trumps reaction. 

• Plus1 2