The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

2 hours ago, BigRedN said:

Wanted to offer another perspective, if anything, to those who have a belief in God.  I hope each of you, IN Christ, can rest in His love. Life and liberty.

Thought this expressed my heart and view well.  Enjoy.  13 minute watch.

Seems to me this guy is using the bible to push his own political beliefs. We shouldn't fear but we should certainly listen to experts who know what they are talking about. This guy is woefully misinformed and spreading that misinformation IS NOT Christian. It's not being fearful or panicking to be Frank about the situation we are in. This is going to infect 150 million Americans and the death toll could be well over 1 million. That isnt fear that's the facts coming from the experts. Did God say to be ignorant to your situation? 

• Plus1 4
41 minutes ago, QMany said:

Honestly, what precautions is our federal government taking?!? No aid, no lockdowns, no restrictions on events, no interstate travel restrictions, no quarantine procedures.

How do we differ from Iran, where they are digging mass graves? Or Italy before it got really bad?

The US is somewhat responsible for whats happening in Iran. Sanctions hurt civilians the most. 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
36 minutes ago, jaws said:

We differ in many ways with Iran (they have much less hospital capacity and living conditions are vastly different) and Italy (average age is 12 years older than the US and I believe the oldest population in the EU). Our federal government has not prepared for this, but I feel that Governors need to step in and take action. Ohio is limiting gatherings and canceling schools across the state even though we have few confirmed cases (I am sure we have many cases we don't know about yet). What is taking other states so long?

One of your states top health officials estimated 100,000 Ohioans currently have COVID-19

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/03/13/politics/ivanka-trump-bill-barr-australia-minister-coronavirus/index.html?__twitter_impression=true

Barr and Ivanka were exposed to COVID last week. It would be surprising to me if our President didn't have this. It also would surprise me if we had less than 10x the reported cases in the US right now. Community spreading has likely been rampant over the last week given the escalation. People didn't know a week or 2 ago. Multiple people in multiple states have tested positive after going to Mardi Gras. Chances are there are alot more cases from Mardi Gras and events like it. People were unaware.

18 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

One of your states top health officials estimated 100,000 Ohioans currently have COVID-19

We will know in within the next couple of weeks if this claim is correct. It wouldn't surprise me if it turns out to be true. I feel that this is also the case for many other parts of the country. 

1 hour ago, QMany said:

Honestly, what precautions is our federal government taking?!? No aid, no lockdowns, no restrictions on events, no interstate travel restrictions, no quarantine procedures.

How do we differ from Iran, where they are digging mass graves? Or Italy before it got really bad?

54 minutes ago, jaws said:

We differ in many ways with Iran (they have much less hospital capacity and living conditions are vastly different) and Italy (average age is 12 years older than the US and I believe the oldest population in the EU). Our federal government has not prepared for this, but I feel that Governors need to step in and take action. Ohio is limiting gatherings and canceling schools across the state even though we have few confirmed cases (I am sure we have many cases we don't know about yet). What is taking other states so long?

I apologize for my ambiguity, how do our precautions differ from Iran and Italy?

NOTE: Of the 40 OECD countries, we rank 32nd in beds per 1000. Italy is 26th.  

45 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Seems to me this guy is using the bible to push his own political beliefs. We shouldn't fear but we should certainly listen to experts who know what they are talking about. This guy is woefully misinformed and spreading that misinformation IS NOT Christian. It's not being fearful or panicking to be Frank about the situation we are in. This is going to infect 150 million Americans and the death toll could be well over 1 million. That isnt fear that's the facts coming from the experts. Did God say to be ignorant to your situation? 

I can understand what your mind is expressing.  It's funny actually, I have known Bob for 30 years, this, you are ignorant in your opinion.  

Do note, he was talking to a believer who might be in his mind thinking fearfully, rather than being practical.

All the best to you.

A Chinese official blames the US military for the virus

https://news.trust.org/item/20200312152307-rlv7m

BEIJING, March 12 (Reuters) - A spokesman for China's Foreign Ministry suggested on Thursday the U.S. military might have brought the coronavirus to the Chinese city of Wuhan, which has been hardest hit by the outbreak, doubling down on a war of words with Washington.

China has taken great offence at comments by U.S. officials accusing it of being slow to react to the virus, first detected in Wuhan late last year, and of not being transparent enough.

On Wednesday, U.S. National Security Adviser Robert O'Brien said the speed of China's reaction to the emergence of the coronavirus had probably cost the world two months when it could have been preparing for the outbreak.

In a strongly worded tweet, written in English on his verified Twitter account, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian said it was the United States that lacked transparency.

"When did patient zero begin in US? How many people are infected? What are the names of the hospitals? It might be US army who brought the epidemic to Wuhan. Be transparent! Make public your data! US owe us an explanation!" Zhao wrote.

Zhao, an avid and often combative Twitter user, did not offer any evidence for his suggestion that the U.S. military might be to blame for the outbreak in China.

Earlier on Thursday, Zhao's fellow Foreign Ministry spokesman Geng Shuang criticised U.S. officials for "immoral and irresponsible" comments that blamed Beijing's response to the coronavirus for worsening the global impact of the pandemic.

Asked about O'Brien's comments, Geng told a daily news briefing in Beijing on that such remarks by U.S. officials would not help U.S. epidemic efforts.

China's efforts to slow the spread had bought the world time to prepare against the epidemic, he added.

"We wish that a few officials in the U.S. would at this time concentrate their energy on responding to the virus and promoting cooperation, and not on shifting the blame to China."

• Thanks 1
33 minutes ago, jaws said:

We will know in within the next couple of weeks if this claim is correct. It wouldn't surprise me if it turns out to be true. I feel that this is also the case for many other parts of the country. 

That we will. I do concede 100,000 this early seems a little quick but it's really hard to tell and other experts are saying this is likely to hit 1/3rd to 1/2 of Americans over the next year. The social distancing efforts have really just began in the last week and are half measures at this point. They will help but spread will continue and with the incubation time being so long this will come in waves, the first likely to hit in the next week but bigger ones to come behind it.

• Plus1 1
32 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

I can understand what your mind is expressing.  It's funny actually, I have known Bob for 30 years, this, you are ignorant in your opinion.  

Do note, he was talking to a believer who might be in his mind thinking fearfully, rather than being practical.

All the best to you.

I find the best way to be practical is to know the situation you are dealing with. Underselling the situation actually creates more fear when it really does become worse.