The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

44 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

That's just irresponsible at this point. People don't have to wait for the federal government to dictate things. Any school board that decides to hold classes is part of the problem.

This is why the idea of school boards is insane...don't let idiot parents on those things.

2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

This is why the idea of school boards is insane...don't let idiot parents on those things.

It’s been my experience that most school board members are former educators and that doesn’t seem to help them make better decisions. No offense, just sayin’.

• Plus1 1
Just now, JJ Husker said:

It’s been my experience that most school board members are former educators and that doesn’t seem to help them make better decisions. No offense, just sayin’.

Depends where you are at I guess...

Anyone that didn't retire from teaching should not be on it...

Past admins should not be on (most ran away from teaching because they hate kids)

Non-educators should never be on it.  That makes no sense at all.

Honestly, there should be no such thing as a school board.  It is totally insane to think that even is a thing.  

But, public schools gave up their power years ago.

27 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Why is it just a recommendation? Or does she not have the authority to shut them down?

It's my understanding that each school district has to make this decision. Waukee, Johnston,  and S.E. Polk here in the metro just announced 4 week closings. 

• Fire 1
2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Depends where you are at I guess...

Anyone that didn't retire from teaching should not be on it...

Past admins should not be on (most ran away from teaching because they hate kids)

Non-educators should never be on it.  That makes no sense at all.

Honestly, there should be no such thing as a school board.  It is totally insane to think that even is a thing.  

But, public schools gave up their power years ago.

Of course you know more about it than me but I think the larger problem is they tend to become way too political in their decision making. It makes sense to me that they should have some parent representation but unfortunately the parents that do make it on to school boards are either whack jobs or have an agenda. I guess that goes for many of the former educators too. I suppose the problems probably vary greatly depending on what area we’re talking about.

1 minute ago, JJ Husker said:

Of course you know more about it than me but I think the larger problem is they tend to become way too political in their decision making. It makes sense to me that they should have some parent representation but unfortunately the parents that do make it on to school boards are either whack jobs or have an agenda. I guess that goes for many of the former educators too. I suppose the problems probably vary greatly depending on what area we’re talking about.

This is sort of how it works

Say there are 1000 kids at your school...

900 of the parents are you...normal, everyday people that give advice to their kids that sounds like this "Well, you are going to have to figure that out"

50 are parents that email teachers 2 minutes after that teacher updates grades

50 are parents that you never see, meet, hear from or even know are alive.

The parents that get on the school board...they make up a huge % of the 50 that email right after a grade is posted.  The crazies...

The political part (and I might not understand what you mean) seems small and more like..."school politics" if that makes sense.  It is hard to explain.

28 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Been keeping tabs on the US case numbers on

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

US case number has gone up by 100 over the last 2 hours 

NC 8 more since yesterday....No doubt we are in a bind.  If we do not unite and put aside politics were are going to be in a world of hurt.  Covid doesn't discriminate by color, creed, economic station, religion, sexual orientation or political party.  A big old sh!t sandwich is coming and EVERYONE in America is going to take a bite.  I am counting on that indomitable can do America to step up and meet this head on.  Just gotta catch up up and get in front of it.  Saw this posted on Daily Mail.  CDC recommending a 8 week shutdown........A Doc buddy said the same thing a few days ago.  The next 2 months will tell us if we are winning or losing. If we lose, we are screwed.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8115155/California-closes-bars-orders-restaurants-cut-seating-capacity-50.html

• Plus1 1
14 minutes ago, teachercd said:

This is sort of how it works

Say there are 1000 kids at your school...

900 of the parents are you...normal, everyday people that give advice to their kids that sounds like this "Well, you are going to have to figure that out"

50 are parents that email teachers 2 minutes after that teacher updates grades

50 are parents that you never see, meet, hear from or even know are alive.

The parents that get on the school board...they make up a huge % of the 50 that email right after a grade is posted.  The crazies...

The political part (and I might not understand what you mean) seems small and more like..."school politics" if that makes sense.  It is hard to explain.

Around here, in your theoretical 1000, it seems more like 500 are basically normal, 450 you wouldn’t know exist, but yeah, 50 crazies.

• Haha 1