The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

3 minutes ago, QMany said:

Curious, how do we know what deaths are and are not COVID-19 related since we have woefully inadequate testing?

We don't know. They've already said there were a number of influenza deaths who tested positive for COVID posthumously. I can't imagine they are using too many tests on people who have already died

15 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

To be fair, at least in my area, the boomers are just as bad. The restaurant I work at had many older guests over the weekend and my GF works at a retail shop and said older people were out shopping and had travelled from Hattisburg area where there are a number of confirmed cases

I don't know if it coincides but this weekend Devin Nunes went on Fox News and told people to go eat out to support their local economy. He said it wouldn't be hard to get in.

In my experience Boomers and the Silent Generation seem most likely to have Fox News on 24/7.

2 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

How long will this last? I saw @lo country saying something about how this shouldn't affect fall sports or if it does we are in trouble, but I have seen a differing opinion. The thing with flattening the curve is people are still going to get infected, we are just trying to slow the spread. In doing so, we actually slow down the timeline for the disease. I read an article suggesting the longer this goes on, actually the more successful we have been in slowing the spread and flattening the curve. This may mean we are still experiencing this in the fall and even into the winter and next year

We just had a meeting with our AD and he told us not to be surprised at a 6-8 month impact before we can start to get back to normal.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
53 minutes ago, QMany said:

Curious, how do we know what deaths are and are not COVID-19 related since we have woefully inadequate testing?

It’s definitely not adequate, but the severe cases are getting tested much, much more often than the non severe cases. If you are on deaths door with breathing problems and fever - you’re going to be tested. If you have a mild fever and a cough - chances are you won’t be tested. 

2 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

It’s definitely not adequate, but the severe cases are getting tested much, much more often than the non severe cases. If you are on deaths door with breathing problems and fever - you’re going to be tested. If you have a mild fever and a cough - chances are you won’t be tested. 

The thing is it's a fine line. What are the chances you get tested if you've already died? I'd say low.

3 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

No your right, at the start these were probably missed. But now, every doctor will request a test for patients that are showing aggressive symptoms. 

I agree with that. While it could be a fair number of people who were missed it will probably end up being mostly irrelevant statistically 

#StayHome

www.stayhomesavelives.us

This column was written by:

Andy Slavitt, former acting administrator of Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services

Dr. Bill Frist, former Senate majority leader 

Dr. Asaf Bitton, executive director, Ariadne Labs, Brigham and Women's Hospital

Lanhee J. Chen,  policy director for the Mitt Romney 2012 presidential campaign and David and Diane Steffy Fellow in American Public Policy Studies, Hoover Institution, Stanford University,

Dr. Ezekiel Emanuel, vice provost for Global Initiatives at the University of Pennsylvania and chair of the Department of Medical Ethics and Health Policy

Dr. Atul Gawande, CEO, Haven; professor, Brigham and Women’s Hospital and Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health

Dr. Sandra Hernandez, president and CEO of California Health Care Foundation

Dr. Bob Kocher, former special assistant to the president for health care and economics

Dr. Vivek Murthy, former U.S. surgeon general

Michael Osterholm, Regents Professor and director, Center for Infectious Disease and Research & Policy, University of Minnesota

DJ Patil, former U.S. chief data scientist

Dr. Jennifer Peña, former White House physician (Obama administration) and primary physician to Vice President Mike Pence

Dr. Jordan Shlain, internal medicine, former commissioner, Health Services System Board, San Francisco

Dr. Eric Topol, founder and director, Scripps Research Translational Institute

Dr. Leana Wen, visiting professor at George Washington University School of Public Health and former Baltimore health commissioner

Michelle A. Williams, dean of the faculty, Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health and Angelopoulos Professor in Public Health and International Development

• Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, sho said:

We just had a meeting with our AD and he told us not to be surprised at a 6-8 month impact before we can start to get back to normal.

I agree.  It is hard to envision an acceptance of going from "no more than 50 person gatherings" to packing 50-90K stadiums full of fans in just 6 months.  If that is to happen, things must really turn for the better in the next 4-8 weeks.

As far as football and any potential cancellation goes, I actually feel worse for high school teams than I do college.  At least in college they could possibly be granted an extra year of eligibility.  I'd be bummed because my local HS team is supposed to be pretty darn good this season.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Nebfanatic said:

I agree with that. While it could be a fair number of people who were missed it will probably end up being mostly irrelevant statistically 

The biggest problem with testing currently is we’re missing the mild cases, these people are not quarantining and infecting multiple people. We’ve put our healthcare workers and infrastructure in a impossible position.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

I agree.  It is hard to envision an acceptance of going from "no more than 50 person gatherings" to packing 50-90K stadiums full of fans in just 6 months.  If that is to happen, things must really turn for the better in the next 4-8 weeks.

As far as football and any potential cancellation goes, I actually feel worse for high school teams than I do college.  At least in college they could possibly be granted an extra year of eligibility.  I'd be bummed because my local HS team is supposed to be pretty darn good this season.

I feel bad for my niece.  Senior soccer player, wasn't going to play in college.  Her last season is cancelled, she won't have a senior prom, who knows about a graduation party.

• Plus1 2