The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

7 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

The biggest problem with testing currently is we’re missing the mild cases, these people are not quarantining and infecting multiple people. We’ve put our healthcare workers and infrastructure in a impossible position.  

Yep and we will see it hit in a week or so. Right now there have been 3 more recoveries than there have been deaths in America. Many cases of COVID are just beginning. In Italy still 44% of closed cases are deaths at the moment. They have a long way to go. I'm worried about Italy today because they haven't updated their numbers yet on worldometer and most other countries are actively tracking. I fear they are more worried about taking care of people than updating the numbers right now.

35 minutes ago, QMany said:

With everything closing, where should I spend that $1,000?   Do what Italy did, just suspend all mortgage/utility payments and help those who will need help with food and necessities and pay medical bills for them.

Just now, FrantzHardySwag said:

If football gets cancelled this year, I’ll worry about my mental health. 

Our AD hinted that there's a better than 50% chance there won't be

36 minutes ago, knapplc said:

So, they want to give families approximately 1/5,000th of what they gave the stock market.

Maybe I should be voting for Bernie.

Really it's kind of amazing that we have a Republican openly calling for a UBI in response to this. Sign of how much the times have changed.

I do wish people would stop thinking the Fed just gave free money to the stock market, though.

3 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

Really it's kind of amazing that we have a Republican openly calling for a UBI in response to this. Sign of how much the times have changed.

I do wish people would stop thinking the Fed just gave free money to the stock market, though.

It ain't free but it's still money and we will all pay through inflation.

39 minutes ago, knapplc said:

So, they want to give families approximately 1/5,000th of what they gave the stock market.

Maybe I should be voting for Bernie.

apples to oranges. The Fed was responsible for the infusion of capital, lowering interest rates, and other QE measures. This would be Congress. And at least it’s a start, more than our President seems to be offering or suggesting. With >209MM adults in the US that’s a far cry from 1/5000th. 

2 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

It ain't free but it's still money and we will all pay through inflation.

I understand that but if the economy collapses companies go out of business, lots of people lose jobs and then we're all really screwed.

They're trying to head that off. Sad thing is the Fed can't help on the public health side of things and that's really driving the markets anyway.

Quantitative easing can't fix incompetent leadership.

3 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

I understand that but if the economy collapses companies go out of business, lots of people lose jobs and then we're all really screwed.

They're trying to head that off. Sad thing is the Fed can't help on the public health side of things and that's really driving the markets anyway.

Quantitative easing can't fix incompetent leadership.

I'm not saying it wasn't necessary, but it is real money. I had someone tell me the other day it's just numbers on a computer. I think getting money to american people is just as necessary though 

32 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I'm not saying it wasn't necessary, but it is real money. I had someone tell me the other day it's just numbers on a computer. I think getting money to american people is just as necessary though 

Yeah I think there's a lot of misunderstanding out there about what the Fed does exactly, who's allocating money to whom, etc. Stuff can strike people as unjust that in reality they just don't understand.

I agree though. Actual people need help, too.

• Plus1 1

Don't critizes the dear leader--- in this case the Chinese leader.

https://dnyuz.com/2020/03/14/chinese-tycoon-who-criticized-xis-response-to-coronavirus-has-vanished/

His nickname in China was “The Cannon,” and Ren Zhiqiang’s latest commentary was among his most explosive yet.

Mr. Ren, an outspoken property tycoon in Beijing, wrote in a scathing essay that China’s leader, Xi Jinping, was a power-hungry “clown.” He said the ruling Communist Party’s strict limits on free speech had exacerbated the coronavirus epidemic.

Now Mr. Ren, one of the most prominent critics of Mr. Xi in mainland China, is missing, his friends said on Saturday.

His disappearance comes amid a far-reaching campaign by the party to quash criticism of its slow, secretive initial response to the epidemic, which has killed over 3,100 people in China and sickened more than 80,000.

The Chinese government is working to portray Mr. Xi as a hero who is leading the country to victory in a “people’s war” against the virus. But officials are contending with deep anger from the Chinese public, with many people still seething over the government’s early efforts to conceal the crisis.

Mr. Ren, a party member, is well known for his searing critiques of Mr. Xi. In 2016, the party placed him on a year’s probation for denouncing Mr. Xi’s propaganda policies in comments online.

The government has monitored Mr. Ren’s movements intensely ever since, friends said, preventing him from leaving the country and deleting his social media accounts, where he had built a wide following.

His whereabouts was unclear on Saturday, and the police in Beijing did not immediately respond to a request for comment.